Trouble finding the right seat for DS2.

purplemama

He refuses to ride in the GN, likes the Maestro better. I don't however. The continuous harness irritates me. And the head slump is bad. I know it's not a big deal but I hate it. I figure the head slump will be just as bad in the GN anyway.
So I was thinking I'd maybe get a convertible for him? I could pass it down to the new baby when baby outgrows the SR30 and maybe put DS2 back in the Maestro at that point.

But what convertible? I'm super picky and never happy with any seat it seems like. I think the MR would be too reclined? I'll play with DD's MR FF when it gets here but I'm not sure that would work. I like the idea of a TF but that darn continuous harness again. I hate Radians FF. The CA has a continuous harness too doesn't it?

Gosh, it sure would be nice if I could find a seat I'd be happy with.:rolleyes:

ETA: He's about even with the second slot up on the Maestro and he's a little over 30#.

ADS

purplemama

Maybe the FR85 would work for him?

I thought about that but I'm trying to keep the cost down and I think someone said the install in my van ('06 Sedona) is tricky. If I was going to go the combo route I think I'd look at a Recaro Prosport. But again, the $$$. :(:(

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would let a 4yo have a lot of say in which seat he preferred (assuming it was an appropriate choice and used properly), so I'd go with the Maestro that he likes.

I'm super picky and never happy with any seat it seems like.

I know it's heresy around here, but I don't think the most important thing about a carseat is that it makes ME happy.

glockchick

You get head slump in the Maestro? :( I was hoping it would be better about that. My son has about the same torso height and he'll be 4 in less than 2 weeks. ;)

Since he's so small, what about one of the Britax seats on sale at Target this week? My son's shoulders are about even with the 2nd to top slots in a classic MA so he has plenty of room to go. I'm sure yours would too.

This pic shows growing room in the classic MA.
fff5febe.jpg

Here's his growing room in the Maestro.
48c18c18.jpg

Last edited:

purplemama

You get head slump in the Maestro? :( I was hoping it would be better about that. My son has about the same torso height and he'll be 4 in less than 2 weeks. :(

Since he's so small, what about one of the Britax seats on sale at Target this week? My son's shoulders are about even with the 2nd to top slots in a classic MA so he has plenty of room to go. I'm sure yours would too.

Oh, he has plenty of room in MA or RA for FF. I'm just not too comfortable with a FF Britax classic. :duck:

purplemama

I would let a 4yo have a lot of say in which seat he preferred (assuming it was an appropriate choice and used properly), so I'd go with the Maestro that he likes.

I know it's heresy around here, but I don't think the most important thing about a carseat is that it makes ME happy.

As far as making me happy, I figure if I'm out with my kids and I'm struggling with using a seat (like having a hard time with the continuous harness) and that gets me really upset then that would kinda be an important thing. Or watching my kids chin on his chest then snap up then go to his chest then snap up then that would be important. I need to have a seat I like using and I feel my child is safe in. Right now thats nothing that is on the market. I know I'm way too picky.
Sorry, but I think a parent being comfortable with a seat is very important to that parents mental health. Mine anyway.

glockchick

I understand completely. What about one of the new gen Britax seats? More expensive, but you could pass it down to the baby. :)

purplemama

I understand completely. What about one of the new gen Britax seats? More expensive, but you could pass it down to the baby. :)

:eek::eek: After the whole screw coming out issue I'm not comfortable with those either.

Yeah, I'm way to picky. :(:(:( I really need to get over that.

glockchick

:eek::eek: After the whole screw coming out issue I'm not comfortable with those either.

I understand. I was trying to get over my picky with the Maestro and go with the "all seats pass the same testing" but it's not working for me. I worry about it untethered and they're not enough EPS foam in it to make me happy. I also hate continuous harnesses. The only seats I've ever really liked are my Britax seats, but a FR won't fit where I need it to for little man.

I understand picky completely. I'm right there with ya. :p

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you're open to a convertible, what about a Triumph 65 or Momentum?

There aren't a whole lot of seats you haven't already nixed, even for a lightweight.

purplemama

If you're open to a convertible, what about a Triumph 65 or Momentum?

There aren't a whole lot of seats you haven't already nixed, even for a lightweight.

When I tried the EFTA a few years ago I hated it. The buckle tilted back toward DS2 and dug into his belly badly. He screamed in it. Not to mention the horrid red marks from those red tabs. It might fit him differently now that he's bigger though.

Not sure I like the idea of a non replaceable harness either.

Yeah, I know I've nixed almost all seats out there. Maybe I should leave him in the Maestro for now.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor

1. What screw coming out issue???? I really need to be around more lol
2. The Maestro had issues at one point too. If the screw issue has been addressed by Britax then I wouldn't worry about it. It seems that at some point every seat on the market has had "something"

purplemama

1. What screw coming out issue???? I really need to be around more lol
2. The Maestro had issues at one point too. If the screw issue has been addressed by Britax then I wouldn't worry about it. It seems that at some point every seat on the market has had "something"

Aparently there is a screw on the base of the nextgen Britax seats that has fallen out. They said it didn't effect the seats. I'm not sure on the details.

At least the Maestro was recalled.

Yeah, it does seems every seat or at least every manufacturer has had issues. I guess it comes down to what you personally think about those issues and what you think about how they were addressed by the manufacturer.

And that's another reason why I don't care for the Maestro.

I'm so picky and uptight about this I'm about ready to never drive my kids anywhere.

I'm moody as all get out right now (just ask my DH, he's walking on major eggshells lately). I guess it's being pregnant. But I'm overthinking everthing and I cannot make a decision about anything because I overthink it. I'm honestly miserable and can't stand myself. But that's totally off topic and a whole 'nother thread. :eek: Just trying to explain why I'm so nuts right now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC