What seat do I want for ds3?

momtoo3

Ds3 is 3 years 4.5 months and just under 30 pounds. His torso height is 12-12.5 inches. He is a shrimp for his age. He turned FF a couple of months ago. He is currently in a MA70 in my van, a MR in dh's car and a TFP in our truck. I would love something new in dh's car but the MR is the only seat I can make work in a 3 across and be able to buckle a booster on either side. I love the MA70 FF in my van but it is too high for him to climb in himself. He is in the second row in the middle/passenger side on the 2 person bench. It kills my back to lift him into his seat so I would like something lower profile. Bonus if I can get it during the trade in event at BRU but not required.
I love the look of the new Evenflo SecureKid but it looks like it will cause major head slump. I had my heart set on it until I saw the pictures here. He has a Maestro in FIL's car but has complained about the straps rubbing his neck a couple of times. I cut a piece of thin fleece to make a really thin cover and that solved the problem. I know it wouldn't really be recommended but I am okay with it. Knowing the straps are just as narrow makes me not want to try the SecureKid anymore :(. Then I thought about a Symphony E3 but I searched and saw it caused head slump FF because of the headrest as well. So what do I want?
Features I would like are:
not likely to cause head slump
no rethread harness
easy install
low profile
nice padding

Additional features that would be nice but are not necessary:
could possibly fit 3 across
have a recline position for FF (his MA70 in in the 2nd position and he has no head slump)
could become a booster
easy off cover

I really want to try the new Kiddy seat but don't know if I can wait with how my back has been. The seatbelt buckle is also a pain because it likes to push down into the seat when trying to buckle and I am not sure exactly how the Kiddy seat works with a seatbelt install. I do have LATCH in that position though. It is also a little too expensive at the moment but could be managed if I start saving now. It would last ds3 a long time.

Also does anyone know if the CA LX has a recline FF? I had a CA (50 pound version) and liked it. I gave it to my sister but wish I still had it.

ADS

Laurelz

My CA LX was really good ff'ing! I actually liked it that way. :) it doesn't become a booster but it was comfy and was three across friendly in our Tahoe. I'd say the Nautilus but I just don't like them which is totally a personal opinion. My bff has one for her dd and she loves it. Our ods is 3.5 and he's in a frontier. It's my favorite seat. Not very 3 across friendly but it sits back like its reclined. He never has head slump while sleeping.

momtoo3

I had a FR85 for ds2 and hated the seatbelt install, but he was over 40 pounds so I couldn't use LATCH. It is a possibility for ds3 because he is not quite 30 pounds. I would imagine he won't be 40 pounds until he is 5. I am comfortable booster training him at that point. I never tried a LATCH install at all with the FR85 but may try it out at BRU before the trade in event is over. I just need to make it there without the kids I watch and without dh knowing. He will flip when I get another new seat ;).

As for the CA LX, is there a recline position for FF or is it 1 position only?

Laurelz

I don't remember exactly but I know there was enough of a recline when I had it ff'ing that I liked it. :) I think there were two positions you could have it in but I haven't done it in awhile. I sold it. ...and I do miss it too!

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I had a FR85 for ds2 and hated the seatbelt install, but he was over 40 pounds so I couldn't use LATCH. It is a possibility for ds3 because he is not quite 30 pounds. I would imagine he won't be 40 pounds until he is 5. I am comfortable booster training him at that point. I never tried a LATCH install at all with the FR85 but may try it out at BRU before the trade in event is over. I just need to make it there without the kids I watch and without dh knowing. He will flip when I get another new seat ;).

As for the CA LX, is there a recline position for FF or is it 1 position only?

In my experience the FR85 is very easy with LATCH in any car I have tried it in (except subaru :rolleyes:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC