Am I going to hate this carseat?

Melaine

So, DF offered to sell me a lot of barely used baby stuff that she purchased to use while visiting her parents. It was a great deal and I completely trusted her that the carseat was safe, so I bought a pack 'n play, swing, high chair, and snugride seat for $60. Great deal! Everything is in excellent shape.

I loaned the Snugride out briefly to a friend and she told me that I will probably not want the seat, that it is going to drive me nuts. It's this one, I think from 3 or 4 years ago. But it doesn't have the bottom adjuster and DF2 says it's going to be super frustrating to adjust.

So for DS due in April/May, should I ditch this seat and buy another infant seat, should I suck it up and use it or should I just skip straight to a convertible anyway? I am not sure how important it will be that I can carry the seat around....it's very hard for me to imagine having just one baby (with the twins I needed the infant seats to get them from place to place.

ADS

Cath3114

You could get a convertible and keep the Snugride in the trunk for if you wanted/needed to carry baby around. That way you'd have a little more leeway with the straps.

lpperry

I'd sell the snugride and get a seat that you want. I would hate a rear-adjust seat.

You bought all of that for a total of $60? That's a good deal even without the Snugride. You could probably sell the Snugride on craigslist and make a lot of $60!

Melaine

Thanks guys. Yes, it was such a good deal that it is not a HUGE problem if the carseat doesn't work....I just can't imagine they make them without the front-adjust anymore. It seems ridiculous!! And money is tight and we have so much to buy. It's a bummer because I recently saw some very cheap infant seats on clearance at BRU, but I didn't realize about the back adjust at that point. Maybe I can just tolerate long enough to find an excellent deal on a Marathon or something....

lovemybabybug

My target still has the SR30 front adjust for $64. If you get that one and sell the one you have when you get it back, you could probably make your money back.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I could never use a rear adjust. I loosen and tighten the harness after every use.

MommyShannon

I used one with DD and DS before I knew better. I didn't like it, but it was manageable. With that good of a deal, I'd probably keep it as a spare and get a different main seat.

Brianna

I prefer front adjust. I dealt with a rear adjust for about six months and fiddling with the straps from behind the seat every trip out of the house got old pretty soon.

ProudMommysince09

I'm also one of the few who doesn't mind the rear-adjust ;). When I was pregnant I picked the travel system I wanted by the pattern and not because of the features of the carseat, mostly because I didn't know there was a difference. :eek: I managed with the straps and it didn't bother me, but I also didn't know there were 'easier' straps.
If you don't plan on using it for long (my DD was in a convertible by 4mos.) I would just try to deal with it and put the money towards a convertible.:)
ETA: I had the same carseat you linked, just a different pattern.

Dillipop

I don't think I'd mind a rear adjust infant seat too much. The seat I have that is front adjust I end up grabbing the straps from behind to tighten and loosen anyway, so I don't think it would be too bad. Same thing with the convertibles I have- pull on the straps from behind to tighten and then pull the adjuster.

I had a rear adjust 3 point harness when ds was a baby and didn't find it to be awful. He was snug in his seat every ride. It was an old 20 pound snugride.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC