Possibly a stupid question- or two.

Mindalie

After a child grows weight-wise to where latch can no longer be used, what do you do if the seatbelts don't actually lock? Is a Mighty-Tite a good product?

I have an '09 Hyundai Sonata, if that makes a difference. Also, I'll soon be looking to get 3 kiddos across the back and I'm really stressed out about it. DD is in a Nauti and it's too big to fit that, plus an infant seat, plus DS's backless booster. Any ideas for that combo? Thanks...

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Your seat belt locks, so that isn't a problem. Pretty sure yours is a switchable retractor, so pull it all the way out, slowly, and it locks.

Don't us a mighty tite. There is no need for that large projectile, plus it can get stuck on your seat belt. Also it can damage your seat belt.

Mindalie

I tried that when we first bought the car. It doesn't work- I've heard it recently from my son's side... hmmm...

Thanks for your response!

Dillipop

My 05 elantra locks how Judi says. Pull the belt all the way out and slowly let it back in. You'll hear clicking as it feeds back in. Sometimes I think I have it all the way out and get frustrated that it didn't lock. On those occasions, I just haven't pulled it out all the way.

For 3 across, try a radian for your dd. In my elantra, I can fit a ff radian, combi shuttle33, and old style parkway. I haven't tried it yet, but I am almost positive I can switch the os parkway with the new cosco topside from target. It's a new backless booster. This is pretty much the only combination I can fit, but you should have more room since you have a larger model and a much newer one.

Good luck!

Keeanh

I tried that when we first bought the car. It doesn't work- I've heard it recently from my son's side... hmmm...

Thanks for your response!

You do have locking seatbelts with switchable retractors. Pull the belt all the way out. Then give it some more little tugs until you hear it "click" and switch into automatic retractor mode. My MIL & SIL's cars both take a bit of convincing sometimes to switch. Yours might be the same.

Here's a search of the 3-across thread for "Sonata":
http://www.car-seat.org/search.php?searchid=4371737
Maybe something there will help.

How old, tall, & heavy is your DD?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Cars since 1997 have been required by law to have belts that lock before a crash. So yours lock, or they're defective and they need replacing.

But no, a mighty tite should never ever ever be used. There are multiple reports on this board alone of cut seatbelts and broken retractors.

You'd use a locking clip with your infant seat and Nautilus. Depending on the infant seat it should come with one, and the Nautilus has one. The backless booster doesn't need one.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC