Crash testing ?

laurengt

When car seats are crash tested, are they all tested for front, rear, side, rollover...? The stat that children are more safe RF, does that come from all tests or from a "usual" accident? Any good links? From what I find I can't find a clear answer, just "this organization tests this" type answers. I ERF and DHs cousin asked a question about this and I'd love to have a quick reference link to send him and any others that inquire.

Sorry this might not be a clear question, I'm doing a quick post from work. Thanks!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Car seats are crash-tested in a simulated frontal crash only. They might also be tested for other types of impacts (side, generally) by manufacturers or other organizations, but the federal regulations address frontal sled tests only.

The argument for rear-facing comes from real-world data. I don't have links handy, but I'm sure someone else does.

Frontal impacts are the most common type of severe impact. Rear-end crashes are common but tend to be very minor (low speeds). They are rarely fatal. Side-impacts are the most dangerous but also the least common. Rear-facing provides benefits in side-impact crashes, too.

jjordan

To add to what Jennie said, the argument for rear-facing comes also from the laws of physics. :)

And, in Europe, there are side impact crash tests. Some car seats in the US are starting to be side-impact tested using those standards, or so they claim.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC