Diono RXT & car fit

LisaM.

Hi,

New here, hoping you can help! My husband and I purchased two Diono RXT's for our cars and 7 month old son (very tall, outgrew height of infant carrier). We have a highlander and a camry. So far we had it installed in the highlander (behind the passenger side) and it looks tight! We can't install it in the middle seat - wish I had known when we purchased the car. Anyways, I have to play with the seat, but does anyone else have it fitting nicely in their highlander?

Also, now I'm nervous about it fitting in the camry. We'll be able to have it installed in the middle, which will hopefully help. Usually my husband drives the camry and has a hard enough time getting our son's infant carrier in and out, now he's nervous about leaning in and over and hurting his back. He's pretty tall and broad shouldered. Does anyone else have it in a camry? How's it working out?

Any other cars that they fit well into?

Thank you very much!

ADS

tiggercat

I've put the sunshine kids radian (pretty similar to the Diono Radians in terms of fit) in a 2003 Camry, both center and outboard.
The center install is a difficult one requiring 3 twists of the buckle stalk, and a locking clip to prevent tipping over time (engaging the automatic locking retractor caused the seat to tip with use and I won't be in a position to reinstall in that vehicle). It did go in solidly though with some effort. It would be helpful to have two people for this install. You cannot use the latch system in the center position of this vehicle.
Seatbelt install outboard was simple, good upright angle is possible and no locking clip needed.
I can't recall if I attempted a latch install outboard.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
What year Highlander? I just did a 2005 the other day and it was a little tricky but we got it RF in the center - you'll need to twist the buckle stalk down a full three times, and then really muscle all the slack out. To get the last little bit out I unbuckled the latch plate just to let it retract another click in, and then just really put my weight into re-buckling it. Mom has an angle adjuster on order though - I'm confident with the angle adjuster the installation will be pretty simple, I would go ahead and get one on order to start using once your son is over a year old.

LisaM.

The highlander is a 2010. I think the reason we can't install in the middle seat is because we have a third row and the middle seat isn't a "real" seat, it detaches from the car.

Can you tell me more about this angle adjuster? There's an age limit? And does it make it adjust more upright so that it's not leaning so far back?

Thanks for the quick replies.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
The highlander is a 2010. I think the reason we can't install in the middle seat is because we have a third row and the middle seat isn't a "real" seat, it detaches from the car.

Can you tell me more about this angle adjuster? There's an age limit? And does it make it adjust more upright so that it's not leaning so far back?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Hmm, yes I've heard that about the newer Highlanders, but I haven't seen one in person to comment on the possibility of an install, sorry!

This is the angle adjuster: http://us.diono.com/en/car-seat-accessories/angle-adjuster

8e5f062e9750688c028aaa3058da9ec4_L.jpg

It's essentially just a foam block designed specifically for use with the Radian that makes it sit more upright. Diono does state that kids can only use it after they are 1 year old to prevent parents from using it with a child that does not have adequate head control. I would be comfortable using it with an older infant, but that's what Diono says.

LisaM.

Hmm, yes I've heard that about the newer Highlanders, but I haven't seen one in person to comment on the possibility of an install, sorry!

This is the angle adjuster: http://us.diono.com/en/car-seat-accessories/angle-adjuster

8e5f062e9750688c028aaa3058da9ec4_L.jpg

It's essentially just a foam block designed specifically for use with the Radian that makes it sit more upright. Diono does state that kids can only use it after they are 1 year old to prevent parents from using it with a child that does not have adequate head control. I would be comfortable using it with an older infant, but that's what Diono says.

Ah, thank you! Very informative. So I guess we'll just be tight on leg room for the next 4ish months, haha.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC