News Ford Isn't Crazy? LATCH & SB!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Q: Can I use both the lap/shoulder belt and the LATCH belt at the same time when installing the Shuttle infant car seat?
A: Please check the vehicle owner’s manual. If the vehicle manufacturer permits the use of both seat belt and LATCH at the same time, the Shuttle can be installed using both systems.
A: If using both seatbelt and LATCH, we recommend that the Shuttle be tightened with the LATCH so that there is less than one inch of movement side-to-side at the LATCH belt path, then connect the seatbelt through the base using the seatbelt path and lock-off. No additional tightening should be necessary.

But basically they are saying to stow the seat belt. It isn't to be tightened. Isn't that what Ford says?

kathysr98

Judi said:
But basically they are saying to stow the seat belt. It isn't to be tightened. Isn't that what Ford says?

I'm not completely sure what Ford says. None of my vehicles are new enough to have those portions in them. I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow. I really should consider sleeping occasionally. As far as Combi's directions, I took it to mean that you install with LATCH & then use the seatbelt, but don't use the seatbelt to tighten the seat more than it already is with the LATCH. Mostly I found it interesting because it's the first instance of having both LATCH & seatbelt in use at the same time. Considering it is a very common mistake, I would like for seats to be tested that way.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, it is interesting. That is for sure. I should rep you.

I see the latch doing to job and the seat belt just being buckled, so loose.

kathysr98

LISmama810 said:
It's been discussed here before a few times. Combi and Ford are currently the only manufacturers to allow it.

I guess I've missed it in the past.

It is different than the usual party line of don't ever ever ever even consider using LATCH & seatbelt at the same time, and Ford is so horrible, stupid, crazy for putting something in the manual that says if the carseat manufacturer allows it you can do it, cause no one allows it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
kathysr98 said:
I guess I've missed it in the past.

It is different than the usual party line of don't ever ever ever even consider using LATCH & seatbelt at the same time, and Ford is so horrible, stupid, crazy for putting something in the manual that says if the carseat manufacturer allows it you can do it, cause no one allows it.

It's been a long time since people have flipped out over Ford's weird stance. For a while it was, "Ok, Ford allows it, but no seats do," so it was kind of a non-issue.

Combi has allowed it for at least a year now.

I do hope other manufacturers will look into it. It's a common misuse, and it would be nice to know if it's actually a problem.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We rented a Dodge truck once, and it also suggested you buckle the seatbelt through the carseat when using LATCH. It was probably a 2008?

mom of six

I would be interested to know why Ford recommends this. The manuals have a table with different choices on how to install car seats. If the kid is over 48 pounds is suggests using both LATCH and the seat belt. To me this is more than a stow-the-seat-belt recommendation since it correlates with the LATCH weigh limit. Maybe it is Fords attemtp to address the "what-is-the-use-of-LATCH-if-you-cant-use-it-over-48-lbs" issue. Does anyone here have access to a Ford engineer or their engineering department to ask they what their rationale is for including in that in their manuals?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC