Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Roundabout 55 for flight - a few questions

We are going to use the Britax Roundabout 55 for our 1st flight with our 14 mth old DS. My husband does not want to install it rear facing despite all the reasons stated here so it is what it is. My questions are:

1. I really don't want my DS being really straight up with no recline as I feel he will be uncomfortable. Am I allowed to recline the car seat 1 level before installing?
    2. Do I need to recline the plane seat, then install the car seat and then put the plane seat back to the upright position? I think I read somewhere on this site that it makes installing and deinstalling car seats easier or something to that effect.
    3. Should I use a seatbelt extender?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member rxmommy's Avatar

Re: Roundabout 55 for flight - a few questions

I am no help to you but I am watching this thread because I will probably be flying with my RA55 this August
    Annie, mommy to...
    Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel #3 10/08,
    Sophia 1/10 and
    Isaac 6/11/12

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Re: Roundabout 55 for flight - a few questions

1. The RA55 has two different recline settings for FF. You can use the more reclined if you like. It may affect how much leg room your child has. I don't think the RA55 is super upright anyway, so you might want to try it in the most upright setting and see how it is that way.

2. You may or may not need to recline and unrecline the seat. It does make it fairly easy to install and uninstall, though, so if you're worried about getting a good install that's certainly a trick you can try.

3. The RA55 has an open/accessible belt path (you can just pull up the cover), so you shouldn't need a belt extender (that's for the older Britax seats w/ the closed belt paths since you can't access the belt path to undo the belt on those seats).
    ~Danielle
    RNC-MNN, BSN
    CPST, SN Trained