Where to put my kids?

U

Unregistered

I always thought my ff child should go in the most protected spot and rf child should go in the least protected spot. Yetserday though I was told by a tech that I needed to move my ff child in her RA to the outboard position and move rf infant (when he arrives) to the middle seat as long as they can be installed that way. What am I supposed to do? Also which side is safer for the outboard passenger? Driver or passenger side?

Thanks,
Sandy

ADS

bazanna

Senior Community Member
You are right about keeping least protected passengers in most protected positions and so on....but truly, a 5 point harnessed seat is VERY safe for any passenger as long as it's used correctly. As far as which outboard position, driver or passenger side, whichever is more convenient for you is the best way to go. Some folks like using the passenger side for when you are parallel parked, that way you are not on the streetside trying to get littles out of the car. I have two kids and they have been in nearly every combination...it all depended on what seats they were in, who was rearfacing, etc. You can try some different things and see what works best for you.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I was pretty much taught in my tech class that the baby should go in the middle, but I'm still more of the "most protected child in the least protected spot" school of thought, so that's what I recommend, too.
Just like Bazanna, my kids have been in every position, and I could never put them next to each other, anyway! DS is only 2 years older than dd, and they fight like cats and dogs when they are next to each other.

U

Unregistered

Thanks! I am kinda leaning towards just getting the seat and installing it myself. I know he will want to install it his way. lol He already said I did a great job and that most people he sees have their seats in wrong. I gave myself a big pat on the back. lol

MelllieMa

I wonder if the classes changed, because I was taught in my tech class to put the baby outboard if a toddler or ff child could use the middle.
And like Bazanna and Julie I have had mine in virtually every position. My baby usually rides on the passenger side outboard (rf in a RA) since I can reach him best that way, and my 3y9mo old rides ff center in an Ultra Cargo or driver's outboard in his Husky.
So I subscribe to the 'most protected kid in least protected spot' too. In fact I teach it to whoever will listen! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC