Question Where to store an unused carseat?

blueindigo

Hi, I have never had to store a seat before so I am not sure of the best place to do so. I need to store it for at least 6 months.
Options:
1. Garage
2. Crawlspace (temperature says similar to house temp)
3. In Car (worry that a crash would make both seats unusable)

Also, is it OK to store the seat in clean trash bags to keep out dust, bugs,etc. Thanks :)

ADS

blueindigo

Bump.... I may be over thinking this (I have done that before :eek:). However, I remember reading of others stored seats getting moldy etc, so I want to make sure I take care of the seat for when we get our second car back and can use it again. Thanks

Lenae

I keep each of my childrens backup/travel seats in their closets. Out of your options, I'd do the garage, and put it in a garbage bag.

emtb79

I bought a 5-chrome shelf from Lowe's and then bought the dust cover that fits over it from Frontgate and it zips down and it is gonna be in the basement. I just bought the dust cover so it isnt here yet.

alake

We have quite a large house, with an office that has a large closet. I keep our two travel seats. A Maestro, and a HBB. These will also be used if the girls are going out with friends, instead of uninstalling our seats. If we didn't have the spare closet space it would be in the garage.

Last edited:

luckyclov

I save all the boxes. So mine get wrapped in a garbage bag and placed back in its box - either in the attic, garage, or storage shed.

Jessica61624

I actually don't have any extra seats. Part of it is because I have no where to put them. The babys keyfit is going to sit in the crib until its time to install.

Aurezalia

Honestly, mine just get shoved wherever there's room. :eek: So they were in my closet before, now they're just sitting in the corner in the spare bedroom.
To be fair, I live in southern AZ, so it's not like I need to worry about anything molding. Also, we don't really have those fancy "Basements" or "attics" or "crawlspaces" or even many "garages" that you all speak of. :p

glockchick

Ones that won't be used often get stored in my closet. Those that I'll need every now and again, like DD's backless booster, are on the top shelf in my laundry room.

kathysr98

I would go with the garage. Be sure to wash the covers & wipe down the plastic parts before bagging in a trash bag. Also, put some damp rid or some of the silica gel packs you get in shoes or other stuff inside the garbage bag, just be sure you get all of them out before you use the seats again.

Mom2three

I used to store them in closets in my old house. But i moved and have small closets and no other storage right now. I have a Radian folded under each kids bed, a Radian just chillin in my room, a Nautilis in my DSs closet (taking up most of the space), 2 backless boosters on the top shelf of my closet, 2 in my mom's car, and a HBB in her spare room. Oh and I have 2 crashed seats in her carport. Oh and a MA in my brothers pickup that his son is using. I should get rid of some seats.

amelia222

For long term storage I have kept seats on the corner of the dining room, in my front entryway, behind the bedroom door....yeah we don't have a lot of extra storage space. I like to think of spare seats as home decor :p

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I have an unused walk in cooler at the firehouse. I house all of my training seats, 2 new seats for emergency donation and my personal spares. :blush:

At home they were everywhere lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I store them in the RV. My garage is a relatively safe option most of the time, unless we get a rat in there or something. So far I haven't had any seats ruined in the garage.

Of your options, I would probably pick the garage but if that didn't seem like a safe place due to rodents or moisture or mold, I would probably store it in the car. Yeah, in the event of an accident then you'd need to replace it, but IMO an accident is less likely than mold or mouse damage in a crawl space or poorly insulated garage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC