Strap pads on Radian

laurengt

We got a new SK Radian (Dom 06/11) a couple of months ago and it came with heavily padded strap pads. Is this safe? I'm just installing it in DHs car today and when I put DS in it I wasn't quite sure on the strap fit with these new pads.

Any insight?

Attachments

• image-1995276835.jpg
    image-1995276835.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 64
ADS

wildeyes

they are supposed to be safe, they were tested with the seats, but i took them off. if you call the manuf. they will probably send you new ones.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Wow! I've seen mention of the new pads, but this is the first time I've seen a pic. Those are HUGE! As the PP said they were tested with the seat so are safe. If you're really concerned try removing them without loosening the harness and putting your DS back in to check the harness fit.

wildeyes

Wow! I've seen mention of the new pads, but this is the first time I've seen a pic. Those are HUGE! As the PP said they were tested with the seat so are safe. If you're really concerned try removing them without loosening the harness and putting your DS back in to check the harness fit.

i keep kicking myself for not getting a pic of those while i still had them. when i took them off, i had about 2 inches of slack int he harness. i feel MUCH better not having them. now i have the new diono seats and they came with normal ones.

msg221

I don't remember the RN's ever having harness covers that looked that huge! I have a Diono RXT and I still don't like how padded they are. I think my favorite style harness covers were the ones on the old style Britax seats.

Shanora

Yep my manual states they are required and you can't take them off
Read your manuals, double check before you remove them. I'm pretty sure on the Diono seats they are required, as for the SK versions, not sure.

laurengt

Shanora said:
Anyone have pictures of the smaller ones??

This is DS in the radian in my car with smaller pads.

It seems like they only made these bigger pads for a short time. I didn't see anything in my manual about the pads, in fact the pictures in the manual are of the smaller pads. The seat is from the transitional phase I guess as it has Diono on the chest clip, the SK logo on the seat, but no SK name as was on both of our other radians.

Attachments

• image-2025118391.jpg
    image-2025118391.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 34

wildeyes

Anyone have pictures of the smaller ones??

i have new diono seats now, the big ones came on the skjp seats. the new pads are like the old skjp small pads.

the big ones are honestly, too big to use on a newborn. they are just *so* long and i couldnt imagine them fitting on a tiny baby. i did read in the manual that you had to use them, but i made the parental decision not to use any pads for my 4 yr old (ff) and kecia gave me a set of smaller ones for the baby. but, those seats are crashed now anyway, and the new seats came with normal sized pads.

amyd

My October 2011 Diono RXT has the honking huge pads. Not sure if I like them or not. My manual also says not to remove them.

msg221

My Diono came with the smaller covers and when I ordered a plum cover for it, it also had the smaller covers.

tiggercat

amyd said:
My October 2011 Diono RXT has the honking huge pads. Not sure if I like them or not. My manual also says not to remove them.

Where does it say not to remove them in the manual? I looked recently and couldn't find the right spot.

I took them off my skjp radian because they were the big thick ones, but left them on my Diono for now because they are a bit thinner.
They do leave a TON of slack in the harness, which worries me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

amyd

tiggercat said:
Where does it say not to remove them in the manual? I looked recently and couldn't find the right spot.

I took them off my skjp radian because they were the big thick ones, but left them on my Diono for now because they are a bit thinner.
They do leave a TON of slack in the harness, which worries me.

Page 33.

Attachments

• image-117300464.jpg
    image-117300464.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 36

tiggercat

Thanks, Amy. I guess I need to decide whether or not to put them back on my skjp radian. I am really not a fan of these things. Sam has come around to the Diono ones, he calls them "softies".

Cryssy Jane

When I got my metro cover it came with the giant harness covers as well. I have an older seat do it says nothing in the manual about them, thus I chose to remove them.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My first and best guess may be that they reduce gs of some sort, by increasing ride down as they compress. (Graco has similar pads on the smart seat and we know it affects chest gs.) As for why they are only offered/required on certain models, it's anyone's guess - may be related to a structural change, or a testing quirk, or...?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC