Why is this unsafe?

chelle80

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog...Id=85184&categoryId=85220&subCategoryId=86211

I was just wondering,since it clips on to the seat.

The reason i am looking for something is because Colton has such sensitive skin(along with having raynauds syndrome) that if the sun shines in on him for more than 10 -15 minutes his skin turns so red he looks sunburned. The legal tint here is 35% and that just is not enough. Right now i have a static cling shade on the window and i have his SS1 in there (for the canopy), and i leave the canopy up to block the sun. It works great to block the sun. But he will outgrow the SS sometime,lol. Plus he is much more happier in the FPSVD. Oh, and as for seeing him, i understand what your saying about seeing them, i probably would be the same way if i didn't have a 7yo and a (almost)5yo back there with him:D

Last edited:
ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I guess because it could come unclipped in an accident, becoming a projectile with potentially eye-injuring pieces?

That's my guess.

I really wish One Step Ahead would fix whatever the problem is with their pages. Every single time I click on a picture, I get "Sorry, we are updating that page." This has happened every time I have clicked on one of their pictures. It could be coincidental, but it is annoying.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think in he event that you were in a collision and something in your vehicle could land on it and push it into the child's face. That of course would cause the child to possibly not be able to breath or may only breath in it's own exhaled breath. KWIM

I think this item would definatey heve to be a parental choice. It is a great concept, but as a parent I would not use it. I have been told some European CR's come with them and they really do not make much of a difference.

chelle80

I guess because it could come unclipped in an accident, becoming a projectile with potentially eye-injuring pieces?

That's my guess.

That was my guess to but if thats the case why is the side rider reccomended. It just clips on and can be filled with projectiles?

I'm really not trying to be snarky, i just need to find something to put on Coltons FPSVD to block the sun.

chelle80

I think in he event that you were in a collision and something in your vehicle could land on it and push it into the child's face. That of course would cause the child to possibly not be able to breath or may only breath in it's own exhaled breath. KWIM

Yes, i get WYM,lol!! But if thats the case then why do infant seats come with canopies?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

If something pushing the canopy into a child's face was a concern, wouldn't that also be a concern for the canopies that come on infant carseats?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yes, i get WYM,lol!! But if thats the case then why do infant seats come with canopies?

As to why infant seats have canopies ....HMMM...That was only my guess :). I only used my canopy going to and from the car with a blanket over it to protect my babies (all 4 of them) from the weather. Once in the car I did not leave the canopy up. For me I could not see my babies at all with that canopy up. ;)

cryswilkins

The only thing that I can come up with is that it will void your warrenty. Don't almost all infant seats come with canopies these days, so why would you need one?

southpawboston

i think it's a nice idea for seats larger than infant seats. if the canopy is lightweight enough and breathable, i don't think it would pose nearly as much of a suffocation hazard as any blanket that you allow DC to have (or any clothing that happens to be in your car, such as a coat). and as a PP noted, some infant seats already come with similar canopies. and i don't think it would pose as much of a projectile hazard as a sippy cup or DVD screen. yes, it may have some pointy ends, but i guess it really depends on what it looks like IRL. what it does have going for it is that it doesn't seem to interfere with *restraining* your child.

in general, i don't like most of the products sold by two steps backward. we bought the suction cup mounted mesh sunshades, and 1) the suction cups didn't stick, and 2) the mesh barely filtered any sun. we ended up throwing them away.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

If something pushing the canopy into a child's face was a concern, wouldn't that also be a concern for the canopies that come on infant carseats?

I completely understand where you are coming from :). That was the 1st thing I tought of coming from a parent stand point. It is a concern to me as a parent. I also have to be able to see my babies easily and the canopy prevented it for me. I never kept mine up in the car with any of my kids.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I completely understand where you are coming from :). That was the 1st thing I tought of coming from a parent stand point. It is a concern to me as a parent. I also have to be able to see my babies easily and the canopy prevented it for me. I never kept mine up in the car with any of my kids.

I agree with you! I was just playing's devil's advocate. :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If it were me & legal tint + self cling shade + sunscreen were not enough for my child's safety/comfort both ... then I'd consider it an acceptable risk so long as it doesn't interfere with the function of the seat (it might be a more difficult decision if I lived in a state with a Proper Use clause, though?)

chelle80

If it were me & legal tint + self cling shade + sunscreen were not enough for my child's safety/comfort both ... then I'd consider it an acceptable risk so long as it doesn't interfere with the function of the seat (it might be a more difficult decision if I lived in a state with a Proper Use clause, though?)

Thats kind of what i was thinking, acceptable risk, but i'm so :confused: about it,lol.

I don't think Arkansas has a proper use clause or not, but even if we did the cops here wouldn't know anyway.

southpawboston

The reason i am looking for something is because Colton has such sensitive skin(along with having raynauds syndrome) that if the sun shines in on him for more than 10 -15 minutes his skin turns so red he looks sunburned. The legal tint here is 35% and that just is not enough. Right now i have a static cling shade on the window and i have his SS1 in there (for the canopy), and i leave the canopy up to block the sun.

just FYI, tint blocks 99.9% of UV anyway, regardless of VLT%. so no need for sunblock. it's not the darkness that blocks the UV, it's the invisible particles in the tint that abosrb it. possibly the cling shade does as well, but i'm not sure. i'm not even sure if cling shade is legal in some states, since it is a form of tinting which may be below the allowable VLT%.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The theory I've always heard was that is would act as umbrella and catch flying objects in a crash, won't happen if you have a clean car. In Australia, all the Britx convertibles come w/ huge matching canopies.

Melizerd

just FYI, tint blocks 99.9% of UV anyway, regardless of VLT%. so no need for sunblock. it's not the darkness that blocks the UV, it's the invisible particles in the tint that abosrb it. possibly the cling shade does as well, but i'm not sure. i'm not even sure if cling shade is legal in some states, since it is a form of tinting which may be below the allowable VLT%.

You beat me to it. Even clear glass can have UV tint on them, my glasses do.

As for the canopy on infant seats I didn't even know it was allowable to have them up while driving. I thought they had to be down?

Morganthe

Don't forget, it blocks really only the UVB light, not the UVA unless you have one that's been specifically designed for it. The 'experts' are only recently digging into the importance of guarding against UVA. UVA is the reason why you'll still tan while wearing average sunscreen. It's harder to block right now because it's been practically ignored. Of course, that's a nutshell, not lengthy explanation. If someone's interested, just do a search for more information :)

I'd consider that shade, but a reviewer said it's too small for their MA. So it wouldn't work with a regent. I'm discovering now that dd is no longer on the base platform that juts out from the seat, the sun enters the back window and heats it up just above her head on the seat.
I don't want that pretty pink to fade or be blistering hot, so I'm always throwing a blanket on it while we're parked, but I can't do much when we're driving. And this is with deep solar tint to the legal limit. I HATE the TX sun! :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC