expired car seat useage? Not used as a carseat

mburks26

can you use an expired car seat just as a carrier? I am going with a Truefit from the start and got to thinking what am i supposed to do with the baby while shopping until I the baby can sit in the shopping cart and going out to eat etc. I know it will be more work going doing it that way but its the cheapest option to go start with the conv. option.

ADS

Peanut520

agree with pp, can you wear the baby? (sling, moby, ergo?) or a suitable stroller with enough recline or bassinet?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yep. Just don't put it on top of the shopping cart. (but you know that)

Haven't seen you around in awhile!

lpperry

I did a convertible from birth and just wore baby in a wrap when I went shopping. I also used a stroller too.

We had an expired infant bucket and I used that probably twice when we went out for dinner. I was worried someone would notice the old pattern and know it was expired and think I used it in the car! I don't think people other than the ones on this board would ever know that though!

wildeyes

yup. why not?? i did it with dd2, until she could sit up in the highchairs at restaurants and such. i had her in either that or a wrap. i actually am on the hunt for a crappy old seat just for that purpose. i saw one on the side of the road last week but i was in a huge hurry and didnt grab it and now i regret it, it was at least boy colors LOL. woulda washed up cute.

leighi123

As long as its not really expired LOOKING then I'd use it (well, I used a sling or mei tai, but if I was so inclined...).

I wouldn't carry around one that looks old though, just b/c I wouldn't want to promote using expired carseats. I'd also not use one outgrown by height for a similar reason, b/c I see tones of kids still in them at 8+ months who have outgrown them but will ride in them anyways until they turn 1 and can be turned FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC