DS complaining that the FR85 straps hurt his neck?

mkmama

DS2 has complained a couple times now that the straps on his FR85 hurt his neck. The straps do sit very close to his neck, touching them on both sides (which is new for us, his other seats don't do this...or if they touch, he doenst complain of them hurting)...is there anything we can do to help this?

He's not even 4 yet, so I'm wondering how he's going to make it another 2-3+ years harnessed in this seat if the straps are already set so narrow that they're bothering him :confused:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are you using the harness covers? Is the strap height set as close to even or slightly above as possible? The height positions are quite close together in the Frontier so it could be that he's maybe slightly over once the seat is installed?

Also check that you're not over-tightening the harness. The adjuster is smooth enough on it that it is possible to over-tighten - and I have seen it done to the point where it left strap marks on the kids shoulders.

My ds is 5yrs old and we haven't had any complaints about the strap width and I really haven't noticed a difference with it vs other seats.

Athena

I was wondering about the strap covers too, if they are there or positioned on his shoulders. Before/while I am tightening the straps, the covers are not at DD's shoulders (but end up there when tightened ;)) and I've noticed she tries to move the strap covers before I have it tightened. It is only for a very short time while she is getting in, so I didn't think much of it until now, but it seems that the straps must bother her neck when the covers are not there. Once she's in and the straps covers are in place, she appears to be fine.

mkmama

Thanks ladies! I'll check both the harness height/tightness as well as the strap covers...I did notice once last week that he didn't have the strap covers in place, maybe that is happening more often than I realize and that's the problem.

scariestone

We had the same problem with the seat and DS was only 2 and a half. I ended up selling it because of that. The harness covers were totally useless. They were so small they would slip out of place with any movement DS made. I tried using his shirt collar and even non approved harness covers and also moving the harness height up and down. Nothing helped and he would cry every time I put him in the seat. We use a radian and nautilus now and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed he's booster ready by the time they're outgrown. Hopefully you can figure out something to make the seat work for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC