britax ffing tether

christineka

In one of those infamous baby trend photos, there is one of a kid in a frontier. It looks like the tether is around the vehicle seat (since it's a v- shape). (I could be guessing wrong, though- maybe it's a strap to something else?) Is that an acceptable way to tether? Just wondering because I assumed you always go up and over the vehicle seat to wherever the anchor is. Here's the link to the photo if you want to see it.

ADS

Pixels

It can happen when you combine a captain's chair (or the small side of a 60/40 split, or worse yet a 70/30), routing around or over the headrest, and a Britax tether. I believe it also happens under crash forces when the tether was previously in the "correct" position.

christineka

With the headrest on the vehicle seat, wouldn't the tether go through the headrest bars? I always take mine off. I do have problems with one of the sides going into the split in my third row bench seat, but I pull it up and tighten so it doesn't fall down.

Pixels

It depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles direct you to route a Britax tether around the sides of the headrest.

Christine, your vehicle directs you to route the tether under the headrest and to keep the headrest on for the second row captain's chairs. For the third row you are supposed to take it off and leave it off.

christineka

Christine, your vehicle directs you to route the tether under the headrest and to keep the headrest on for the second row captain's chairs. For the third row you are supposed to take it off and leave it off.

What if I can't get the car seat tight with the headrest on?

mamom

OK that is my picture, With as low as the Frontier sat on my seat and my non-removable headrest, this seemed to be the best way to do it, is it wrong???? HELP

christineka

OK that is my picture, With as low as the Frontier sat on my seat and my non-removable headrest, this seemed to be the best way to do it, is it wrong???? HELP

I don't know! How does it show the tether routing in your vehicle manual?

mamom

I will have to recheck the manual, but we are currently in an ice storm so I am not venturing out, it is a 2005 Montana (origional body style)

christineka

I pulled out my manual. It doesn't say "must". It just includes returning the headrest to the seat. The ffing car seat pictured is one of those ancient short ones that sits lower than the headrest. I've contacted toyota to see if the headrest is truly required in the second row for a ffing car seat.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
In the LATCH manual for Pontiacs it says: If HR (head restraints) are adjustable, they can be moved up if there is interference with the CR; route top tether straps under the HR. So, mamon, you should have the top tether routed between the HR and the vehicle seat (probably between the posts), rather than around the seat.

For Toyota it doesn't say anything about the HRs :(. I'm guessing it's fine to leave the HR off, but I'd probably contact Toyota to be sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC