Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Community Member penguingrooves's Avatar
    one more thing about EEERFing swedish britax seats (multi-tech, max-way, two-way elite): they can't be installed using the isofix system which is like the latch but rigid - they need to be installed with seatbelts.
    sprog #1: age 12 in a mifold.
    sprog #2: age 9 in a mifold.
    sprog #3: age 7 in a RF britax MT.
    marriage partner #1 and me all squished in a honda fit. i don't recommend our arrangement, so if you have 3 kiddos, get a bigger car.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Relocating Sweden Plane Trip. Help, Please!

Okay. What's a good car seat for a 16-month-old and a 4-year-old? Do I even need one for my 4-year-old? Just a HBB would be alright, no? Also, I've noticed that car seats/car seat covers/fabrics are rather plain. The only fabric with a pattern is the Britax Cowmoo (correct me if I'm wrong). Key features in order of importance: safety, comfort, fit in an "American" Volvo XC90, looks (fabrics) and pricing.

Edit: The youngest is RF. And you lost me at foot prop.

i won't be of much help because my very petite 4 1/2 year old (my oldest) is still RFing in the multi-tech. we obviously have different standards, so just about any of the non-britax seats on carseat.se should be fine if you're not RFing beyond 40lb/18kg. (duologic or klippan come to mind - i heard maxi cosi takes up more space.) also, no need to deal with a footprop which is like a kickstand from the back of a RF carseat to the car's floor if you get an isofix seat for your 16 month old.

but the person who can help you the most is hakan at carseat.se. his name on this forum is adventuredad - you should read some of his posts.
    marriage partner #1 and me all squished in a honda fit. i don't recommend our arrangement, so if you have 3 kiddos, get a bigger car.

oh, as for the important traveling part, we'd be able to help you more if you had more details because there are so many possibilities. for one, you need to know which airline you'll be using since you'll have to look at their policies. also, you don't mention if your car will already be in sweden to pick you up. or are you taking a cab to your new home? we can't tell you how long shipping your car will take. as for carseat recommendations, it helps to know the kids' sizes. there are too many variables, so until you learn more details beyond "we're moving to sweden," it's tough to make any recommendations.

but there's probably a really good chance that you'll be using your RA 50 (or another seat) for the plane trip for your youngest. i'm cheap, so i'd bungee-cord my carseat to a rollie carrryon and wear the ergo for the 16 month old. as for the two other kids, depends on the airline. i hope more details are materializing so you can have a better idea.

Okay. More info. on our move. We layover in London, Heathrow and end up in Kopenhamn, Kastrup. I really don't know if our SUV will be there since I'm not sure on shipping and anything could happen so we'll be using a taxi to get to our home from the airport. We'll be on British Airways. But the HR said we can pick and choose what we want for our flight. So, if there's a better airline or layover, please let me know.

Car seat wise...I'm not sure what to take still. Do I need to bring a car seat for my 4-year-old in the taxi or do they have one I could use just to get home? I've heard horror stories of rental car seats. I'm taking the Roundabout for sure for my 16-month-old.

Any suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

I would think both of your older kids would need a booster at the *very* minimum. Can you take the backless portions of your Nautilus and Turbo? Or if space is an issue, a BubbleBum.

8. Thank You from:

I'm pretty sure AD said that something like 70% of taxis there are outfitted with a RF seat. I'd research that possibility. But I also think the PP's suggestion of breaking down your combo seat. Or get an RSTV. They're very handy for travelling around Europe!
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

10. Thank You from:

Okay. Both devices look great. Thanks so much. I'm so flustered with everything going on that I forgot my 6-year-old son would need a booster! Bad, mom! He just sits in our car's booster so I wasn't thinking. Ugh! I need to make a list for each kid. I've never heard of bubblebum before...it is amazing to me. Definitely have to get that. Thanks!

Carseat Crazy

I fly a lot of transatlantics with my three children. I usually only bring one car seat and keep one in California for visits (well, now, it's just a booster).

BA can be bad with car seats. I avoid flying them. IMHO Lufthansa is the best, if you can't book on a U.S. company which will allow the car seat. Frankfurt is good for connections too. Many families I know love Amsterdam but I wont fly KLM because they only have one flight to our city in France and if we miss it, we're up the proverbial creek... I hate Paris and AF because you never know whether you'll be allowed to use your car seat or not. Sick. Of. Them.

I worked at London Heathrow, Paris Charles de Gualle and Frankfurt airports.

I don't recommend using a rolly bags as carry-on's. They don't fit under the seat in front of you and can be awkward to remove from the overhead for the odd item. With only one carry-on allowed, make it a large backpack or duffle bag.

Don't buy the GogoKidz. Basically, it's an overpriced luggage cart. Buy one from Kmart or wherever with a metal, not plastic base. Use bungees to secure it. You may be able to get two car seats on to one cart but figure out what is the best arrangement (for example, do that if you want to use your stroller). The 16 month old can ride in a car seat when tired and then you can skip the stroller.

You're lucky to have two, maybe three adults in your party! My dh rarely can manage it...

What I would do is have the adults pull the carts with whatever car seats you bring with the carry-on's stuffed inside. Works for me! Many, many, many times (12 years of doing this...) When the toddler wanted to ride, I put the backpack on and then pulled the baby in the car seat behind me.

Check everything you can. Even with shipping, I'm surprised how much I still have when I've moved.

I use American car seats in Europe. The ones available in France and Germany are bad. Babies ff at 6 months and 2 year olds ride in boosters. Sweden is waaaaay ahead of elsewhere in Europe!! The police have checked me many times and have never said anything about my seats being foreign. One even joked about it.

Link to my non-commercial flying tips is in my siggie.
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Carseat Crazy

Kastrup is the name of the airport in Copenhagen, Denmark. It is the closest major airport for the part of Sweden around Malmo. So just to add another complication to consider, you might need to be prepared for the fact that the Danish taxis at the airport may not have carseats the way some Swedish taxis would. There are also trains right at the airport that go to Malmo and Gothenburg, if that would be more convenient.

Changing planes at Heathrow can be frustrating enough as a single adult. With a family, I would check into your options for going on Lufthansa via Frankfurt or via Chicago on United/SAS. But if BA has the most convenient times, I wouldn't necessarily rule that out.

I would rule out BA if it involves moving from terminal 1 to 4. If you're lucky it'll all go through 5 but even still there are way too many security checkpoints for my taste (at least 3 IIRC and you've got to remove shoes at all of them). Going from 1-4 means getting on a bus that goes on a sort of highway. You need at least 2-3 hrs to do it.

Frankfurt is awesome for changing terminals. I'd fly Lufthansa anyway over BA. Plus the star alliance is way better than one world of you're accruing miles.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

Since You are going to Kastrup/Copenhagen (in Denmark) you must be going to live in the Malmö region or somewhere close in the southwest?

Quote Originally Posted by trzesmmom View Post
    Okay. More info. on our move. We layover in London, Heathrow and end up in Kopenhamn, Kastrup. I really don't know if our SUV will be there since I'm not sure on shipping and anything could happen so we'll be using a taxi to get to our home from the airport. We'll be on British Airways. But the HR said we can pick and choose what we want for our flight. So, if there's a better airline or layover, please let me know.

Car seat wise...I'm not sure what to take still. Do I need to bring a car seat for my 4-year-old in the taxi or do they have one I could use just to get home? I've heard horror stories of rental car seats. I'm taking the Roundabout for sure for my 16-month-old.
    If You order in advance and request one or two seats for your kids any bigger Swedish taxi company will provide acceptable seats. For your 4-year old that means a HBB.

But, you are actually scheduled to land in Denmark, and the taxis will be danish. I have no idea if they provide car seats, or how that works. Going over the bridge to Sweden with bridge tolls (and return for the taxi) will be VERY expensive regardless of the car seat issue. I would recommend to take the Öresund train from Kastrup to Malmö C, and pre-order a taxi (with car seats) that picks You up at Malmö C.

http://www.oresundstag.se/en/Start/

Anyway, you will need to cross the Öresund bridge:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Øresund_Bridge

Welcome to Sweden!

/Marcus