Child Unbuckling

longstocking

My 2 1/2 year old is in love with buckles. Like the chest clip. He recently discovered that if he pinches hard enough with all his strength he can snap it open, and thus close it again. He doesn't care about the crotch buckle, just clip buckles.
Any ideas how to make the kid keep the darn thing buckled? I have talked with him, yelled at him, stopped the car. I can't be watching him in my mirror every time I'm trying to drive.
It is such a fight to get him in his carseat now. He just wants to stand there buckling and unbuckling the clip. I finally wrestle and force him in by telling him he can buckle the clip.
He will buckle and clip anything he can find around the house...his booster seat, his brothers booster seat, my husbands backpacks (much to dad's great annoyance every morning) LOL
I am babbling now but maybe I just thought of an idea. What do you all think: Not sure where I'll find one, but give him a clip buckle that he can hold and play with in the car.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A second chest clip is a fantastic idea, actually.

Another one would be to have him wear a button up shirt, but leave it unbuttoned. Then in the car get him buckled in, and button the shirt up over the harness.

But I think the second chest clip idea would work better. I'd tie the ends together so that he doesn't drop one side.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You sew beautifully. Why not cannabilize old buckles (from car seats, broken bags, toys, etc.) and make him an all-buckle soft busy book for the car? :) I can send you at least one chest clip, you could string it on ribbon and sew the ribbon on...

Holly

I have a chest clip you can have! I can send it to you. It's a Britax clip just like the one he has on his seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a Radian clip. It's tricky, he'll have oodles of fun trying to undo it. LOL! Ooh, I also have a REALLY OLD square-style chest clip from a Britax. And I can send you that harness, too, for webbing to string them on if you want!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
That sounds like a fun project! My DD would love one, too. I'll have to start collecting chest clips. :) DD has been in love with buckles for ages. She likes riding in the cart at Costco because there's an extra buckle to play with. The first thing she does when she gets in the car seat now is try to buckle her own chest clip - and she claps and says "yay!" when it clicks. She has undone her Radian clip once already (she's only 17 months!) but usually she just holds it and "twangs" on it with her thumb.

I hope you try this and post pictures. :) Once I get a collection of chest clips I think I'm going to give it a whirl, too. I think I have two or three chest clips I can cannibalize already...

longstocking

Too bad I don't have any clips around here. Threw a backpack away last month before this was a problem.
Maybe I can go to the local thrift store and see if they have any cheap bags with buckles. I like the idea of putting it on a length of webbing.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Seriously, send me your address! I have TONS of buckles, webbing, chest clips, etc. I would happily send you some. I have every brand you could imagine too. Let me know how many you'd like. I have Graco, Evenflo (at least 2 different), Century, Britax, Dorel, and more that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

I think a "quiet" book is a fabulous idea! I'm going to have to make me some :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC