Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Roads Safer When Drunk Drivers Immediately Lose License to Kill

July 24, 2007
    Roads Safer When Drunk Drivers Immediately Lose License to Kill
    Study shows threat of on-the-spot license suspension a greater deterrent to drunk driving than postconviction punishment
    By Coco Ballantyne
    Nearly 40 percent of all fatal traffic accidents in the U.S. involve drinking, resulting in annual death toll of 17,000, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Yet, according to a recent survey by the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration, 17 percent of drivers age 21 and over admit to getting behind the wheel after consuming alcohol or using illegal drugs at least once a year. A surefire way to prevent at least some of such accidents? Immediately take away the license of anyone who fails a breath test, a move that already saves at least 800 lives a year, says a new study...

...Wagenaar and fellow U.F. epidemiologist Mildred Maldonado-Molina compared 26 years of federal crash data from 46 states with driver's license suspension laws. "We basically did 46 studies" estimating the impact of suspension laws on alcohol-related accidents for each state and then aggregated the results, Wagenaar says. Their findings, published in the August issue of the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, confirm that laws mandating immediate license suspension reduce the number of drinking-and-driving fatalities by 5 percent, indicating that the measures appear to encourage people to hesitate before boozing and driving. Researchers say the laws seem to deter both social drinkers and carousers...
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: Roads Safer When Drunk Drivers Immediately Lose License to Kill

Alberta has a law like this - if you're caught drinking and driving, it's an immediate 24 hr suspension - not sure what happens after that, or how much effect it's had though.

Would be great to see lots of other areas adopt the same policy. Seems drunk drivers get off way too easily and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist even when people die because of them.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

CPS Fanatic

I'd like to see an immediate minimal 6-month suspension, complete with certain volunteer activities, rehab and reparations if you want your license back after 6 months.

Carseat Crazy

I think it's really funny that the summary of this topic on the main page is "Roads safer when drunk..."

But I have a perverse sense of humor.

-Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
    I'd like to see an immediate minimal 6-month suspension, complete with certain volunteer activities, rehab and reparations if you want your license back after 6 months.
    I'd settle for just an immediate suspension and impounding of the car.

Post suspension is crap. I dunno how many times I've seen a drunk driver walk into court, get his license suspended, and then walk back out and drive away. Court bailiffs catch a bunch in the parking lot as they attempt this, but they can't be everywhere at once so most slip away.

I think it's China or Japan (?) that revokes a license FOR LIFE on the first DUI charge, period. Like, they are never allowed to drive again. And therefore, they have very low DUI statistics. The other (I really should google all this, lol) the license if revoked for a year, no questions asked, and has to be renewed every year for seven years, dependent on the person's driving record... and other stipulations I'm sure.
    I'm wish it was like that here in the US. Drunk drivers get one too many slaps on the hand before anything happens.
    DD10 (Diono Santa Fe), DD8.5 (Diono Santa Fe), DD6 (Recaro Vivo), DD2 (Britax Marathon/Boulevard), and DD5wk. (Bella Chicco Keyfit)!