Carseat in front seat

Lenae

Would you put a car sat in the front seat of a vehicle that didn't have a passenger airbag, in a non-emergency situation?

I've been stuck at home while babysitting because I never had a vehicle, but my Jeep has finally been shipped here. So now, if I can put a car seat in the front seat of my Jeep, I'll be able to take all four kids out. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know that sitting in the front seat is statistically less safe than the backseat, but I don't know if it's a risk I am willing to take or not.

Previously, I borrowed an extended cab pickup from my dad while my vehicle was broken down, and I was told here to go ahead and put DS in the front seat, RF because not a single RF seat I owned or could borrow would fit in the back. I did it then because I really had no choice, but now I wonder.

If your answer is yes, would you rather a FF harnessed seat or a RF seat in the front?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A rear-facing seat, yes. Otherwise, probably not. Reason: some studies have shown that rear-facing is about as safe in the front as the back (of course with Swedish seats that brace; based on what we know of bracing it makes sense), and overall safer than forward-facing (which we knew) in harness or booster. So, if I could use a seat that was allowed to brace rear-facing in the front, if it meant you could go out and you couldn't otherwise, yeah, I would do it if you needed to (not just in an emergency.) FF, the lack of available tether and the lessened protection of the front seat when you don't have that RF protectiveness, not as much.

Qarin

"Most protected child in the least protected position" ==> RF in the front seat (with no airbag).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If I had to, it would be the oldest RFing child since there is no airbag.

But, honestly, you asked if I'd do it in a nonemergency situation and I would not. I especially would not if it was because of babysitting kids -- I would not feel comfortable putting another person's child at greater risk, and I would not choose to put my own child at greater risk to accommodate another child.

cryswilkins

My own child, maybe. Someone else's, no way.

How often are we talking? Where would you be going? I can't think of a situation that I would want to do it in.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

babyherder

Based on the death and injury rate for children in Sweden (where putting rf seats in the front is acceptable) I'd do it and not think twice, especially if the seat allows bracing. If further research finds otherwise I'd reconsider.

Keeanh

I often put Rebekah rear-facing in the Protege's front seat, just because she likes it so much :eek:.

ETA: My preference is a RF seat in the front

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I used to do it all the time. Just..you know..don't drive off the island, or hit a penguin, and you'll be fine. :)

Lenae

I used to do it all the time. Just..you know..don't drive off the island, or hit a penguin, and you'll be fine. :)

Thanks, I'll try and avoid the penguins.

I would be doing things like running to the post office, taking the kids to the park (in nicer weather, obviously), going to story time at the library, etc.

For reference, I live on an island with 8 miles of road, and no speeds more than 30 mph. I know that accidents can happen to anyone, at any time, but I honestly feel like my chances are statistically lower. I cannot prove that, but it's how I feel.

I'm still undecided, but leaning more towards being okay with it.

christineka

I would and I have. I used to stick a rfing seat in the old tempo all the time because it was easy to install the seat there, I could fit 4 kids in the car if needed, and because I liked having the less well behaved child up front.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
You need to get out. It's good for your sanity, and the sanity and development of the children in your care. Properly secure a rear facing seat in that position, and go!

rxmommy

Thanks, I'll try and avoid the penguins.

here I just thought that was a Mario Kart reference. :ROTFLMAO: My middle DD....yikes. She's awful at that level. I swear she runs into every penguin on purpose. :D

I would do it too with a RFing seat in the front.

kathysr98

I have & would again. Dd thought it was awesome! Dh has a jeep that I had to drive for a little while & the back seat & seatbelts were not installed so I put dd in the front. She has also ridden in the front of a couple of trucks that did not have a backseat.

Now that I think about it, I'll have to take her for a ride I the jeep sometime soon since we're thinking of selling it.

bethng

Because i have sensors that in my front seat that turn off if there is not enough weight in them.....and i dont trust the computer to do its job (its just a computer and they can malfunction), i have only put the most restrained/protected forward facing child in the front....once. I had no choice. He was 3 and in a 5pt harness seat with the seat all the way back. We went 1/4 mile there and 1/4 mile back.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

leighi123

I've done it a couple times in a 2-seater car (we have a spyder), because it was either that or sit home for a week in a row. Ds rode RF in the radian (and a while ago in the TF) in the front, air bag manually turned off.

Lenae

Because i have sensors that in my front seat that turn off if there is not enough weight in them.....and i dont trust the computer to do its job (its just a computer and they can malfunction), i have only put the most restrained/protected forward facing child in the front....once. I had no choice. He was 3 and in a 5pt harness seat with the seat all the way back. We went 1/4 mile there and 1/4 mile back.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

The Jeep in question is a '95, it doesn't have a passenger airbag, so no worrying about a computer malfunction.

Last edited:

Shaunam

Yes I have and would do it again. Only rf'ing though. I put Charlie in the front a bunch of times just for convenience sake. I'm almost sad to have a car with air bags now, just because I can't have her up front! Almost...because at least my car runs now. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC