Question What is up with FL laws???!!!

mlohry

So we just moved here from MN and I guess the booster law is 4 and 40!! What! It's 2012, time to update! Why is it like that? My son who is a safety freak, I guess without me knowing made a comment about how the girl who was in my friend's car needed a booster and my friend said, not here, not since she was 4. I'm SO glad my son noticed and said something, but that's insane!

I also feel like a leper as I'm pretty sure I have the only ERF toddler. I have not seen 1 kid over 1 RF. Why isn't this info getting down here?

We passed thru Georgia on the way and they have a 4'9 law and there were billboards and even a cut out of a kid at a rest stop saying you had to be "this" tall to be without a booster. Way to go GA. Now get on board FL!

ADS

T4K

I don't even think they are at 4 and 40. Last I heard it was 3 and under had to be in a restraint.

leighi123

Kids need a restraint until age 3, after that just a seatbelt is fine. Levi was all of 25lbs on his 3rd bday, but legally he could have been in a seatbelt in the front seat at that size. He is 4.5 and rearfacing still. But yep, the law here is insane, and unfortunately there are LOTS of people that follow the law and nothing beyond.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right, three and under need a restraint. Four and over they're legal to sit in the seatbelt.

Florida and Arizona are lagging. Write to your new representatives!

Wendy

mlohry

wendytthomas said:
Right, three and under need a restraint. Four and over they're legal to sit in the seatbelt.

Florida and Arizona are lagging. Write to your new representatives!

Wendy

I totally will!

henrietta

I don't even think they are at 4 and 40. Last I heard it was 3 and under had to be in a restraint.

This...

In Tennessee, kids must be in a "carseat" until age 4 and then booster up to age 9 OR 80 lbs (although we all know weight has nothing to do w/it).

Florida is VERY behind on carseat safety.

henrietta

Kyras_Mama

I would bet that florida would be one of the hardest states to get the laws updated in. After all, wouldn't want to inconvenience those tourists...

SavsMom

Yep, the laws regarding child restraints here stink. I will say that I have seen a few kids over the age of 1 still rear facing and many who are well over 4 still in a booster so that's made me feel a little better. Either way the law needs to get changed.

Brianna

Two sisters who I was very good friends with in high school now live in Florida. One has a 5 month old and the other is 5 months pregnant... I'm going to send them some ERF info in the near future and I really really hope they take it seriously instead of just following the law.

skylinphoto

I'm in fl and I have know one person IRL that erf's. Yay! Lol.

Fl sucks.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

kirst

Any one know the law in nebraska about carseats? I know rf till one and I was thinking after four it doesnt matter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC