Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Community Member clmchrissy's Avatar

Children's dinnerware suggestions

I've been using the Ikea childrens plates, bowls, cups and flatware for my kids for a few years now and really like it. Unfortunately my 2 sets have dwindled down to not much of anything at all. I'm not near an Ikea and will not be going to one anytime soon. I may be able to order from Ebay, but I would like suggestions if anyone has used something similar.

TIA ~Chrissy

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Children's dinnerware suggestions

I'd be interested in toddler suggestions that are "safe" and stackable.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath
    I'd be interested in toddler suggestions that are "safe" and stackable.
    Safe meaning not plastic?
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Safe meaning not plastic?
    Not plastic, not melamine, lead free.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)

Subbing for ideas too. Our Ikea stuff (what has survived) has had it and I need to restock.

Sydnee 1/6/07 34lbs
    Kip 6/15/09 26lbs RF
    Different seats for different days

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath

Does Corelle have lead? I never know what to believe about those. What about stainless steel?
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Senior Community Member clmchrissy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    After a quick google search I found this -
    http://www.greentoys.com/greeneats/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by clmchrissy View Post
    After a quick google search I found this -
    http://www.greentoys.com/greeneats/index.html
    We have these and love them. I got mine at Target, but they clearanced them out. They very nice.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

Carseat Crazy

I think the Corelle STONEWARE glazes contain lead, though Corelle claims they are safe. We use Corelle GLASS dinnerware, which I cannot imagine could possibly contain lead. We love it for the kids.
    Nicole
    Mama to two little girls riding in a Primrose SK Radian and a newly redecorated Flora Radian.

CPS Fanatic

I don't know about Corelle's newer stoneware lines (never got the point of them selling that stuff, but I digress ).

However, my understanding is that their actual Corelle dishware (the stuff they've been making from glass for decades and what one would call "Corelle") is very safe. That is what we have been using for years and we haven't broken one yet, including when dropped on the hard floor. (looking for some wood to knock on now ... )

It may still be made in the US too. I'm not certain. I think at least some if not most of the Corelle/Corning/Pyrex is still made here, but that may have changed. I'll have to google it sometime ... like on a day when more websites are available.

As for the plastic, we have also used some first years take and toss stuff. You can re-use it for a long time and then recycle it when it gets worn out. It is supposedly free of Phthalates and BPA.

We love the Green Toys products and their dish and kitchen sets are great for play, but we have not used them for real so cannot comment on their durability, etc. They do seem that they would be one of the safer plastics though and love that they're made from recycled bottles and in the US.

I hope this helps!

Hrms. The greentoys stuff is interesting. We have some of their toys.

I hadn't seen children's stuff put out by Corella but had heard complaints about other similar stuff that it had lead in it. I haven't quite thought through if I'm okay with using breakable stuff for toddlers. My son currently uses IKEA and I'm starting to look at replacing that after seeing that plastic always leaches, not just in the microwave!

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)

Also, once they are out of the toddler stage, they use the Fiesta that then grown ups use and only one plate has ever broken. We have a rainbow and they love that they have their own colors.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    I hadn't seen children's stuff put out by Corella but had heard complaints about other similar stuff that it had lead in it.
    No it's not children's stuff; we all use the same dishes. FYI: I did research it at the time and could not find any evidence of lead in their real Corelle glassware.

I hope this helps!

I'd love to have some of these if they weren't so expensive
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-6-Compartment-Mess-Tray/dp/B000UBBBEI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ba_1"]Amazon.com: Stainless Steel 6-Compartment Mess Tray - Style B: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]
    Mom to:
    Hannah 11 Graco Connext, Abby 10 Graco Connext, Josh 7 Recaro Performance Booster, and Zach 2 1/2 Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

Quote Originally Posted by keri1292 View Post
    Also, once they are out of the toddler stage, they use the Fiesta that then grown ups use and only one plate has ever broken. We have a rainbow and they love that they have their own colors.
    Fiesta sounds interesting.
    My son loves his colorful plates. I'd rather not change that yet.
    Does Fiestaware go in the microwave?

How well do the bowls stack? Our Pfaltzgraff bowls don't stack at ALL.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)

We have some Ikea stuff, but DS1 has been using regular plates for a few years at least now, possibly since he was 2. We have this stuff from Crate and Barrel and are super happy with it. The high sides help contain some of the spills and liquids from food, and provide a large flat surface for food.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/outlet...nnerware/f1664

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

This post has just about inspired me to get rid of all our plastic dishes. Working on getting DH on board right now. Figure start with dishes and glasses then move on to storage containers later. I am wondering, what about acrylic? Good or bad? Kids are not really wanting to get rid of all their cute stuff, but I haven't found any glass glasses that are cute.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 2BunniesMommy View Post
    This post has just about inspired me to get rid of all our plastic dishes. Working on getting DH on board right now. Figure start with dishes and glasses then move on to storage containers later. I am wondering, what about acrylic? Good or bad? Kids are not really wanting to get rid of all their cute stuff, but I haven't found any glass glasses that are cute.
    We did not get rid of everything plastic and kept some of the cute stuff. We did reduce it a lot and investigated which were BPA and Phthalate free. Just an idea for a compromise with the kids.

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

My kids start eating off our corelle dishes starting around 1.5 or 2. Whenever they graduate from the high chair to the table. We usually start with the small 5 inch plates and then graduate to the 8 inch plates. In the 15 years I've had my set, I think we've broken 2-3 plates or bowls. And this included college!

My kids also start drinking out of regular glasses around age 2 at the dinner table.

CCO 4/15