Question Children's dinnerware suggestions

clmchrissy

I've been using the Ikea childrens plates, bowls, cups and flatware for my kids for a few years now and really like it. Unfortunately my 2 sets have dwindled down to not much of anything at all. I'm not near an Ikea and will not be going to one anytime soon. I may be able to order from Ebay, but I would like suggestions if anyone has used something similar.

TIA ~Chrissy

ADS

mama2girls

I think the Corelle STONEWARE glazes contain lead, though Corelle claims they are safe. We use Corelle GLASS dinnerware, which I cannot imagine could possibly contain lead. We love it for the kids.

Athena

I don't know about Corelle's newer stoneware lines (never got the point of them selling that stuff, but I digress ;)).

However, my understanding is that their actual Corelle dishware (the stuff they've been making from glass for decades and what one would call "Corelle") is very safe. That is what we have been using for years and we haven't broken one yet, including when dropped on the hard floor. (looking for some wood to knock on now ... :D)

It may still be made in the US too. I'm not certain. I think at least some if not most of the Corelle/Corning/Pyrex is still made here, but that may have changed. I'll have to google it sometime ... like on a day when more websites are available. ;)

As for the plastic, we have also used some first years take and toss stuff. You can re-use it for a long time and then recycle it when it gets worn out. It is supposedly free of Phthalates and BPA.

We love the Green Toys products and their dish and kitchen sets are great for play, but we have not used them for real so cannot comment on their durability, etc. They do seem that they would be one of the safer plastics though and love that they're made from recycled bottles and in the US.

I hope this helps!

vonfirmath

Hrms. The greentoys stuff is interesting. We have some of their toys.

I hadn't seen children's stuff put out by Corella but had heard complaints about other similar stuff that it had lead in it. I haven't quite thought through if I'm okay with using breakable stuff for toddlers. My son currently uses IKEA and I'm starting to look at replacing that after seeing that plastic always leaches, not just in the microwave!

keri1292

Also, once they are out of the toddler stage, they use the Fiesta that then grown ups use and only one plate has ever broken. We have a rainbow and they love that they have their own colors. :)

Athena

I hadn't seen children's stuff put out by Corella but had heard complaints about other similar stuff that it had lead in it.

No it's not children's stuff; we all use the same dishes. ;) FYI: I did research it at the time and could not find any evidence of lead in their real Corelle glassware.

I hope this helps! :)

Holly

I'd love to have some of these if they weren't so expensive
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-6-Compartment-Mess-Tray/dp/B000UBBBEI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ba_1"]Amazon.com: Stainless Steel 6-Compartment Mess Tray - Style B: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

vonfirmath

Also, once they are out of the toddler stage, they use the Fiesta that then grown ups use and only one plate has ever broken. We have a rainbow and they love that they have their own colors. :)

Fiesta sounds interesting.
My son loves his colorful plates. I'd rather not change that yet.
Does Fiestaware go in the microwave?

How well do the bowls stack? Our Pfaltzgraff bowls don't stack at ALL.

2BunniesMommy

This post has just about inspired me to get rid of all our plastic dishes. Working on getting DH on board right now. Figure start with dishes and glasses then move on to storage containers later. I am wondering, what about acrylic? Good or bad? Kids are not really wanting to get rid of all their cute stuff, but I haven't found any glass glasses that are cute.

Athena

This post has just about inspired me to get rid of all our plastic dishes. Working on getting DH on board right now. Figure start with dishes and glasses then move on to storage containers later. I am wondering, what about acrylic? Good or bad? Kids are not really wanting to get rid of all their cute stuff, but I haven't found any glass glasses that are cute.

We did not get rid of everything plastic and kept some of the cute stuff. We did reduce it a lot and investigated which were BPA and Phthalate free. Just an idea for a compromise with the kids. :)

Dillipop

My kids start eating off our corelle dishes starting around 1.5 or 2. Whenever they graduate from the high chair to the table. We usually start with the small 5 inch plates and then graduate to the 8 inch plates. In the 15 years I've had my set, I think we've broken 2-3 plates or bowls. And this included college!

My kids also start drinking out of regular glasses around age 2 at the dinner table.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC