Opinions on the Britax B-Safe, please

momtoo3

Anyone have or played with a B-Safe? What are the pros/cons? Is it easy to install without the base? Thanks!

ADS

jenfrogmom

I have played with it several times. I do not like it. The lockoff on the base is nearly impossible to use. The seat feels rather cheap as well. Not my favorite seat. I have some pictures comparing it to the Chaperone if you want to see them, let me know.

crunchierthanthou

I like it more than I thought I would. The lock-off gets easier after a couple of times. The bottom slots are really low, and it would probably fit the 4 lb baby for which it's rated.

I haven't done a baseless install, but at least it wouldn't be like the Via I helped with this morning (three lock-offs, *if* your belt is long enough to go around the back. Two lock-offs, and a locking clip if it isn't. :dizzy:).

jeminijad

I have played with it several times. I do not like it. The lockoff on the base is nearly impossible to use. The seat feels rather cheap as well. Not my favorite seat. I have some pictures comparing it to the Chaperone if you want to see them, let me know.

I would love to see them! I'm considering the B-Ready, and if I do that, also considering a Britax bucket.

stephcali

I've been having this same debate as well between the B-Safe and the Chaperone. I still can't decide, but one thing that is making me lean more towards the Chaperone are the better colors ;) Thanks for sharing the pictures, it does help to see them side by side since I don't know of any store that actually sells them. We have a B-Ready so I'm wanting a Britax infant seat to fit in it.

Stelvis

I have one, and I like it a lot. I can't speak to the lockoff because I've got it installed with LATCH. I think I got it on sale for about $125. I didn't want to spend much on an infant seat because I'm going to switch back to convertibles after the worst of winter is over.

The bottom slots are very low, especially with the insert in. I had to take the insert out to bring DD home from the hospital because the slots were absurdly below her shoulders. Still, without the insert or any receiving blankets or anything, I've never had a problem with head slump. DD is a bit over the second slot from the top now, but she's ridiculously tall (26" at 3 months).

Syllieann

I bought one off nbd a month ago to use w/ next baby so I haven't use it full time but my 11 month fits in it and I've played with it a bit. I thought the lockoffs were super difficult. At first, I thought I had a broken base. I actually thought the overall feel of it was quite sturdy. I like the feel of the fabric and the large sturdy canopy a lot. It's got reflective piping along the edge which I couldn't tell from the online pic. I like the shape of the base, good for puzzling and I think it gives a little arb quality even though there's no arb. DD's close to the height limit when wearing a cloth diaper. If you need pic w/ kid in it I can get 1 after naptime. Oh, re installing w/out the base, I didn't do that yet but you do have to pull a little elastic loop off the hook on each side and tuck the cover under in order to expose the belt path for baseless install. It's not hard to do that but it's not something I would want to do regularly. I think you could do it w/out waking up baby though.

Stelvis

I bought one off nbd a month ago to use w/ next baby so I haven't use it full time but my 11 month fits in it and I've played with it a bit. I thought the lockoffs were super difficult. At first, I thought I had a broken base. I actually thought the overall feel of it was quite sturdy. I like the feel of the fabric and the large sturdy canopy a lot. It's got reflective piping along the edge which I couldn't tell from the online pic. I like the shape of the base, good for puzzling and I think it gives a little arb quality even though there's no arb. DD's close to the height limit when wearing a cloth diaper. If you need pic w/ kid in it I can get 1 after naptime. Oh, re installing w/out the base, I didn't do that yet but you do have to pull a little elastic loop off the hook on each side and tuck the cover under in order to expose the belt path for baseless install. It's not hard to do that but it's not something I would want to do regularly. I think you could do it w/out waking up baby though.

I agree about the fabric and the canopy. It's nice.

all together ooky

I played with one in the store the other day. I was looking for infant seats with narrow bases and this one fit the bill. I really liked the seat, except for the lock-off (I ended up just giving it a good whack to close it. But it's not like most people will be uninstalling/installing all the time). I liked the canopy-way better than the Keyfit. And it seemed to be on the lighter side (unlike the Via). I also liked how easily it snapped into the B-agile stroller. And the price is good for something that will be used for such a short amount of time.

SeattleRain

A good friend has it and I helped them install it when they bought it. I didn't find the lock-offs to be THAT bad. You do have to put some effort into them, but it's not that bad. The friend had a 36 week baby and he was quite small but totally fit in there no problem. I despise installing it baseless. I really don't like it. Maybe I'm just spoiled from the KF30, but pulling off the cover to expose the loops is just way too irritating to me. I don't love the harness covers, but that's easily fixable by just removing them.

She has the B-Ready and it's totally convenient for her.

Syllieann

To update my previous post. Britax replaced my seat due to an issue with the stroller adapters. The lockoff on the new seat is much easier. There must have been something particular to my seat with the first one so I take back my lockoff complaint.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC