A local baby store selling target display seats?

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I came across this today and almost freaked out. I was at the grocery store next door and this second hand shop had a whole bunch of target exclusive car seats. So I go up them and see the "Display Only" on them. I Checked the tag and it said that graco has Okay'd the sell of it. Has anyone heard of this I wanted to call graco myself but I didn't have time

ADS

Baylor

lovemybabies924 said:
No way! Those seat are not even whole inside!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

What do you mean? They would be exactly the seat they sell.

auto correct hates me

noahsmom24

Probably someone who was supposed to throw them out decided to make some money off from them. All the display seats I've ever seen are completely whole however.

KaiLing

Probably someone who was supposed to throw them out decided to make some money off from them. All the display seats I've ever seen are completely whole however.

I couldn't for the life of me find the LATCH strap (lower anchors) on a Target display seat a few weeks ago (MyRide? I can't remember). Mighta been a moment of me being stupid, but I really did look, and I wondered if someone just pocketed it, or took it out to the car to check and didn't bring it back.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I recently tried to get my local Target to donate their display models to me solely for training/demo purposes and I was told by the store manager that as much as he would like to - he couldn't. It was company policy that the display seats have to go in the compactor. I would call Target corporate and let them know where the seats wound up. If you can take a pic from the thrift store - that might help too. Were they all Graco seats?

lovemybabies924

I had been told the display seats are made without all the key components that make it safe (not re-enforced, no flamibity regulations etc..)

Baylor

lovemybabies924 said:
I had been told the display seats are made without all the key components that make it safe (not re-enforced, no flamibity regulations etc..)

By who? I have never seen a display seat that did not look exactly like the seat in the box.

auto correct hates me

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

It would cost the company a whole lot more to make a few special display seats than to just yank them off the production line; plus, it just wouldn't make any sense to do that.

BrookysMommy

It would cost the company a whole lot more to make a few special display seats than to just yank them off the production line; plus, it just wouldn't make any sense to do that.

Then is there a reason they are marked with "Display Only, do not use?" I can understand from the stand point of it may have been dropped, mishandled, etc. but I wonder if there is another reason that has to do with the parts. This has me curious...

Baylor

agave said:
I was told something very similar when I tried to buy a display Pack n Play from Target.

This makes no sense to me. I think what CarSeatCoach said is true. The cost would be higher to manufacture. I think that is just store speak for " I don't know".

auto correct hates me

swtgi1982

It is all in legalities. WM is not allowed to sell the displayed seats either. When I worked there the old seats had to be shipped back to the warehouse and the store got credit for them. They were then disposed of at the warehouse.

lovemybabies924

I used to work at target and that's what I was told there and read it on here somewhere..

Baylor

lovemybabies924 said:
I used to work at target and that's what I was told there and read it on here somewhere..

I'd like to see some proof. Every seat I have seen on display is identical to the seat in the box.

auto correct hates me

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It could be something as simple as the fact that the manufacturer provided the display seat for free and doesn't want the store to make money on a product they didn't pay for.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
They may also occasionally send out customer returns as display models or re-label seats that have a manufacturing defect as display models... I wouldn't risk putting my kid in one just in case. I'm sure 90% of them are fine, but I'm sure the company wouldn't assume any liability for a failure.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
They may also occasionally send out customer returns as display models or re-label seats that have a manufacturing defect as display models... I wouldn't risk putting my kid in one just in case. I'm sure 90% of them are fine, but I'm sure the company wouldn't assume any liability for a failure.

Oh, I agree. I just find it in-credible that they have a special production line dedicated to making seats without reinforced slots or covers without flame retardant.

I find it much easier to believe that the display seats are customer returns or damaged in production.

Last edited:

T4K

Baylor said:
I'd like to see some proof. Every seat I have seen on display is identical to the seat in the box.

auto correct hates me

Down, girl! Down! Geez.... ;-)

I think the point was that selling display seats isn't good. We don't know exactly how they come to be display seats and we don't know how they are treated.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC