I was so proud of my son today!

todzwife

He is 8 and happily rides in a hbb in my van. When he goes with his dad or friends he takes his harmony. Today he went to a friends house and I asked him if he wanted to bring his booster and he said he did, without hesitation. The girl he was playing with is in his class and is super tiny but doesn't ride in anything, but he was unashamed. I was so proud. He said he doesn't like not using a booster because the seatbelt cuts into his neck.

ADS

noahsmom24

That's Great! :)

Me and S/O were at walmart the other night and there was a child sitting in a car probably 7-8 riding up front in the Passenger seat with the seat belt going across his FACE! :( I showed S/O and said that is just sad :( It looked like he was with his grandparents.
I wish all kids were as informed as your son about being safe in the car.

mommyfrog

My ds is almost 9 and still uses a highback booster in my car and has a Literider for going with friends. My nephew is 6 months younger than him, about 4-5 inches shorter and several pounds lighter. He doesn't use a booster anymore because he is 8. Makes me sad. My son's best friend just turned 8 and his grandma asked me how long he needs to stay in a booster. I guess since he is 8 now, he was asking. I told her safety wise, he needs to be in it until he is 4'9" and she said "Okay, that's what I'll tell him." So nice to talk to people who will actually be the parent (or grandparent!!) and not let the kid decide when they get out of the booster.

Simplysomething

That's great.

My kids have a tendency now to ...comment (in our car) about the safety of the children in the cars near us. "That boy shouldn't be in the front seat!", "that kid needs to be in a booster".

hsjwmom

That's great.

My kids have a tendency now to ...comment (in our car) about the safety of the children in the cars near us. "That boy shouldn't be in the front seat!", "that kid needs to be in a booster".

Mine do the same thing, complete with dramatic head shakes and looks of extreme disapproval on their faces. :eek:

Both my girls ride in HBB in my van and it is their choice. They are so much more comfortable, they don't mind (too much, anyway) that their cousins think it's weird. I pretty much pulled my SIL along when I made seat choices for my kids. So, I'm counting it good that she at least kept them harnessed until 6 or so and boostered until 8. Actually, come to think of it, I think she still has them ride in HB Turbos when they drive out of town.

VoodooChile

My dd does that too! She doesn't always check to see that the windows are up though :eek:

OP, that's awesome! You've taught him so well!

Shaunam

I'm hoping I have/will have instilled this attitude in Adrian. He'll be 8 in one year! :eek: And I know there will be situations where he will be riding with Grandma, or one of Dad's friends and he'll have to be the one to bring along the booster because everyone else will think it's no biggie since he's 8.

Grandma already made a comment about how she couldn't believe they had to be in boosters "so long" these days and it would be so nice for Adrian to not need it anymore. I politely let her know that he'll use it well past 8 if he needs it (and he will, he's very average sized).

aeormsby

OP - that's great!

That's great.

My DD has started commenting too - actually more like asking why some of her classmates aren't buckled/boostered/in the back seat like they should be :( (she's in kindergarten, law is 8yo, and I just don't know how to answer her)

Simplysomething

I answer with something like "maybe their moms and dads don't know how safe it is".

Because my boys have totally gone to the "don't their parents love them?", place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC