Question best high back booster for small child

U

Unregistered

I have a tiny 5-year old who weighs 32 pounds and rides harnessed (FF). I am concerned about her submarining in a HBB, but in theory, which is the lesser evil - Turbobooster rated for 30 pounds or more or Parkway rated for 40 pounds with the SG that prevents submarining?

ADS

gsdguenter

Welcome, and thanks for coming here to ask questions! We love helping people keep their kids safer :)

I would NOT put a 32 lb. child in a PWSG/L. It is rated to 40 lbs. minimum and you need to stick to that.

The TB is fine as your child technically fits in the weight limit, but may I ask why you are switching your child from ff harnessing to a booster? Especially since you say he is small. as long as he still fits in his ff seat I personally see no reason to move him.

Do you think he is mature enough to sit in position for the ride? Riding in a booster certainly requires a great deal of maturity.

But, to answer your original question, if you had to choose between a TB and Parkway for this child I'd hands down choose the TB.

ETA: I forgot to address the submarining. You are right that submarining is a risk for small, young children. But, the Parkway simply cannot be used for children under 40lbs., so the benefit that it would potentially give a smaller child cannot be used. Does that make sense? That is another reason I would keep a 32 lb. child in a harness.

kam1011

The Parkway is rated from 40 pounds and up, that means that either it wasn't tested with a lower weight, or it failed at a lower weight. Either way, you don't want your kid to be a crash test dummy. If she has to be in a booster, the TB is the way to go. But, keep in mind that in many states, it's illegal to booster a child under 4 years AND 40 pounds. If it's a matter of her seat being to "babyish" or outgrowing by height you could try getting her a combination seat that would allow her to stay harnessed until a safer weight and then it would convert to a booster later on, such as a nautilus or Frontier. They sit lower in the seat, are generally taller in the back and look more like "big kid" seats.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
But, keep in mind that in many states, it's illegal to booster a child under 4 years AND 40 pounds.

In *some* states. Very few have a four and/or 40 pound law for boosters. Most are proper use states, and for a Graco Turbobooster that would mean that it's legal at three years AND 30 pounds, and for a Britax Parkway it's legal at 40 pounds (and whatever age if Britax states one).

Between those two, the Turbo. It's the only safe option between the two. But if you're worried about her submarining, a harness is the safer alternative. What seat is she outgrowing, or why are you making a change?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

We are replacing seats after minor crash. She was in a Roundabout, but just to the top slot, so we looked at FF harnessed boosters. The Frontier sticks off the seat so much that no one can get by, Nautilus crotch strap is too close to the back of the seat and she's sitting on it, and Maestro doesn't fit the contour of the seats. The seat will have to fit 3-across (w/7-yr old in HB TB, 10-yr old in backless booster) in a 4Runner and a Taurus, and gets moved back and forth (Dad doesn't install well), so Radian is not a good option. Looking for great ideas from people who know more than me. Thanks so much.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What about two seats? Maybe a Radian for one car and a Maestro for the other? Have you looked at the Recaro ProSport?

Wendy

Qarin

At 32lbs she's sitting on the Nautilus crotch strap? My 50lb 7yo, an inch from the top slot, continues to be comfortable in the Nautilus, harnessed...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Be sure you check your state laws. In my state a child must weigh 40 lbs (there is no age requirement) to ride in a booster. This does vary widely from one state to the next. Personally, I do not feel comfortable putting a child under 40 lbs in a booster anyway. We know that boosters are, if not unsafe, at least not proven to be less safe than a harness (provided both are used properly) for children over age five and weighing at least 40 lbs. We do not have adequate data to compare for children under 40 lbs.

Having a set of seats for each car really makes more sense. Perhaps the Maestro would fit in one car and the Frontier or the Nautilus or the ProSport in another car? Also, there's a new Evenflo Secure Kid coming out now that looks promising. I would look again at the Nautilus because it's hard to believe a child that small would be too big for the crotch strap. Perhaps it was adjusted strangely in the store.

henrietta

We are replacing seats after minor crash. She was in a Roundabout, but just to the top slot, so we looked at FF harnessed boosters. The Frontier sticks off the seat so much that no one can get by, Nautilus crotch strap is too close to the back of the seat and she's sitting on it, and Maestro doesn't fit the contour of the seats. The seat will have to fit 3-across (w/7-yr old in HB TB, 10-yr old in backless booster) in a 4Runner and a Taurus, and gets moved back and forth (Dad doesn't install well), so Radian is not a good option. Looking for great ideas from people who know more than me. Thanks so much.

I would be keeping her harnessed. She's just so tiny and she's only 5 yrs old.

She doesn't need to additional height of the Frontier, so since it sticks out so far, I wouldn't feel sorry about nixing it from your list.

But I'm pretty sure that either the new Evenflo Secure Kid 300 or 400, Evenflo Maestro, or Graco Nautilus can work. You just need someone to help answer your questions about them.

First, it used to be that it mattered to Graco if you were sitting on the crotch strap at all, but then they changed their minds a bit. I'd search for posts on that here, or start a new post about it. I also think at her petite weight that the crotch strap isn't likely to be adjusted right, so it's worth looking at it again.

As for the Maestro and the seat contours, as long as it fits tightly enough not to move more than one inch side to side, it's fine. The back of the seat doesn't have to sit flush against the car's seat back. Is that how it seems wrong to you? Or is it something else? I'm sure we can help you.

I also think that the Recaro Prosport is worth looking at for her.

I'd put one seat in one car and one in the other.

hths

henrietta

Kaitsmom

Just an fyi, my Frontier sticks off the end of the seat big time when I just set it there, by the time I get it tightened down its totally on.

mommyfrog

Did you take the extra padding Graco calls "infant padding" out of the Nautilus when you tried her in it? That padding can only be used if the child is on the very bottom slots, so your dd would need it removed. That will give her far more room in the Nautilus. My dd is almost 7 and at the very top slots of the Nautilus. I'm pretty sure she is actually on the crotch strap, being 60+ pounds. She doesn't complain that it is uncomfortable at all.

firemomof3

I would also take another look at the Nautilus, it really does provide a beautiful fit for smaller/average sized kids. I have ProSport which also fits smaller kids exceptionally well :)
And I agree to keep her harnessed until she is closer to 40lbs. My dd2 will be 6 next month and has just reached 40lbs. She is either in a Nautilus or a Harmony Dreamtime booster or TB

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC