Need advice...Talk to me about traveling/flying with the radian...

todzwife

I can't get a good install with the coccoro in my van. I've tried, and it's just not happening. It's a solid install in DH's little car though, so I want to keep it for that (since not much fits 3 across in there rear-facing).

Problem is this...we are traveling in March via plane. It's a 3 hour drive to the airport though and she'll be in her Radian for that portion of the trip. Not sure what to do with the coccoro except install it in one of the extra seats in the van? Or bring the Radian on the flight instead.

My main concern is that we are renting a minivan when we get to our destination, and knowing what I know about the coccoro, and how it doesn't like MY van, I'm really concerned I won't be able to install it in another van (probably a T&C or Grand Caravan).

So I have 2 options.
1. Take the Radian
2. Take the Coccoro and hope it fits (and what if it doesn't???)
3. Buy something else since DD2 doesn't love the Radian anyway.

Help!!

She's tiny, and almost 2. Will be 22 months at the time of the trip. Weighs 22 pounds soaking wet right now and still fits in her keyfit. Would that be a better idea?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Having flown with both, I'd avoid flying with the Radian at all costs. The CCO is a dream to fly with. I'd probably take it, and worst case scenario FF for the trip if you can't get a good install RF, although I don't recall any issues in the GC or T&C. Or you could take the KeyFit, which would be also really convenient to fly with.

SavsMom

I would take to Cocoro or buy a Scenera.
I took our Radian on a plane this summer and hauling that thing through the airport was not fun, even with the carrying straps. I would much rather travel with a lightweight seat, and so would my back, neck, shoulders and arms, lol!

Pixels

My first preference for flying is always an infant bucket. The carrying handle makes it easy to carry, and you can put the child in the seat and carry that way. Two birds, one stone kind of thing.

My second preference is for the Radian. I don't find it cumbersome at all. Well, a little, but it beats lugging anything else, because everything else is comparatively bulky and no easy way to hold on to it. It folds and fits through the x-ray at most airports, making that part of the journey as painless as possible. Wearing it on my back leaves both hands free for other things. I had a Radian on my back and we walked from one end of Atlanta airport to the other and back multiple times (we were flying standby) and it wasn't horrible.

I also flew with the Radian and DD by myself. DD was 2yo, 25ish lbs. Radian on my back, DD on front in the Ergo, backpack accessory for the Ergo on that as the diaper bag. With well over 40 pounds on my shoulders I did end up with a few broken capillaries, but I had toddler contained and two free hands. Could not have done that with any other seat.

firemomof3

I guess I'm the odd one, I loved traveling with our Radians. DH & I each carried one on our backs and it was fine :confused: We're both in pretty good physical shape so the weight didn't bother us. They install ff easy and installed rf in our rental van perfectly :love:
But since your babe is not even 2 yet, I would choose the Coccoro also so you can use it rf on the plane.

lilliput

I love traveling with the RN. We did just like Firemom on our last trip. DH and I each had one on our backs for DS1 and DS2 (DS3 was still in the bucket at that time). I happen to like how they travel (strapped to my back) and really like not needing to have a luggage cart or some other contraption to get my seat through the airport. Keeps my hands free for dealing with the children, and when we still had to take their shoes off at security, this was a huge deal, especially on the occasions I traveled alone with the kids. Installation on the plane is easy and fast. Flight attendants were also duly impressed and pleased.... even TSA likes to chime in on the seat when it goes through security, not that any of that really should matter.... The one downside with traveling with a RFing RN is that you will need to travel with the boot.

I would do a search on here to check how your different seat options do in a T&C or Caravan, since you know those are your rental car options, and take it from there.

Personally, since you have options, I'd pick the seat that seems to work best with the vehicle you anticipate having at your destination and not worry so much about the brief headache of the flight and installation on the plane. I'd be more concerned with getting the good RFing installation in the car at my destination.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm not unfit ;) I used a luggage cart with the Radian strapped to it and the CCO on top. Getting through the airport was not the problem; getting it on the plane was. It's so heavy and cumbersome it was difficult to lug it through the plane, and it didn't install well at all on that plane. The pillow thing at the top of the airplane seat forced the Radian really upright, so DD was not at all comfortable. We took the Complete Air last time and it was awesome.

KaiLing

I travel with the Radian. My favorite trick is to get the husband to carry it. But it's not un-doable, for sure, and I think I'd take some extra luggage over car seat stress--in fact I have: I could buy my kid a lightweight combo seat but before the age of 3 FF just makes me too nervous. So I lug the Radian for my mental health, basically.

I have done a two leg trip alone with the toddler a couple of times. It installs easily (though, yes, rather upright) FF on the plane, I can wear it as a back pack (though I took the stroller so I didn't have to wear it if I didn't need to), the kiddo can reach the tray table. Drawbacks are that you have to make room for the RF foot (and possibly angle adjuster) in your carry on luggage, and the straps for the back pack are not nearly as comfortable as those on my actual back pack.

mimieliza

I was miserable traveling with our Radian this summer, which is a bummer because I bought two with the hopes of them being good travel seats.

It is SO HEAVY. And there is no great way to carry it. I bought the carry bag, which is uncomfortable, and broke during out trip.

The problem is not getting it through the airport, it is getting it onto the plane, once you've had to give up your luggage cart and gate check your stroller. Trying to carry the Radian AND the child that sits in it is nearly impossible.

Anyway, I would avoid it. I love traveling with our infant seat, and I love traveling with our old 40 lb. RA. Smaller seats make better travel companions, and the Radian is a beast.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have travelled with the Coccoro and the Radian, and I liked both of them.

Presuming the child fit, I would take the Coccoro because it's lighter, and I have only encountered one difficult situation in the many cars I've installed it in, and even that one was do-able.

I would *not* travel with the Radian if I didn't have two straps with which to carry it backpack-style, because it is heavy. Wearing it on my back, though, I found it to be a breeze both getting through the airport and onto the plane...and I did it 8 months pregnant!

So I, personally, would lean toward Coccoro, but would be fine with the Radian as well.

Pixels

To install FF on the plane, I reclined the plane seat. I pulled the base forward from the bight. I buckled and tightened to marginal. Then I put the plane seat upright for taxi and takeoff. Once we were in the air I reclined the plane seat. That, combined with the base pulled forward a bit, gave plenty of recline. I am not so worried about having a rock solid install in the air, though it was acceptable.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Pixels, I did the exact same thing. I have a picture showing how upright it was, it was crazy. With the airplane seat upright she was actually leaning forward. With it reclined, it was very upright. The Complete Air was just the right height to squeeze under the pillow, and pulling it forward made it very nicely reclined for sleeping, but the Radian was just too tall to sneak under the pillow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC