just looked up the cdc growth chart...

momtoesther

And my 29lb 4.5 year won't be 40lbs (legal limit for boostering in my province) until she is 7.5...looks like she will be harnessed until 3rd grade at least :D
Does anyone have a child that age in a harness? How was it dealing with friends/sleepovers, etc?

I know it can change, but I'm curious :)

eta...she is 38.5'' now. Do you think she will make it to 40lbs in her Frontier XT for height? The chart says that if she ocntinues at the 50th percentil for height she will be 51'' at 7.5.

I know I might be borrowing trouble ;)

ADS

lovemybabybug

How do estimate that? My 2 year old isn't current on the chart which probably means she will be harnessed for the rest of her life lol

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
You just find their spot on the curve (or under it) and follow it until it hits 40 lbs.

I'm in the same boat with mine (37lb 6.5yo, 31lb 4y10m old, 21lb 2.5yo) but luckily we have no such laws about boostering. My 4yo only has about an inch before she outgrows her ProSport and Radian so she will be boostered whenever that happens.

Jan06twinmom

And my 29lb 4.5 year won't be 40lbs (legal limit for boostering in my province) until she is 7.5...looks like she will be harnessed until 3rd grade at least :D
Does anyone have a child that age in a harness? How was it dealing with friends/sleepovers, etc?

I know it can change, but I'm curious :)

eta...she is 38.5'' now. Do you think she will make it to 40lbs in her Frontier XT for height? The chart says that if she ocntinues at the 50th percentil for height she will be 51'' at 7.5.

I know I might be borrowing trouble ;)

My guess is - based on my own experience - is that she will still fit in the Frontier by height. That is, if she doesn't have an extremely long torso. My 97th percentile DS just turned 7 last week. He is 53in tall and still has a tiny bit of growing room in the Regent. I'm pretty sure that the Regent and Frontier have the same top harness slots.

Honestly, how closely would a police officer examine a child to make sure if the child is 40lbs? If she is in 3rd grade and around 38/39lbs, you might not worry about the 40lb requirement at least for occasion use. Or just dress her in heavy clothes:)

Melanie

skylinphoto

My dd's chart says she won't be 40lbs until she's 8.
She's going to be 4 in march and is 25lbs right now. She's a super slow gainer.
I want to get her the kiddy world plus when it comes out. I wonder if they have a height limit for the shield. Lol.

She's about to be on the top slots of the radian btw (if ffing..she rf's right now)..not super tall torso..but taller than my ds's was at that age. I often wonder how I will handle her seats as she gets older. There are a few hbb that start at 30-33 lbs. But my dd is also extremely impulsive and active. One of those kids who literally can't sit or stand still for more than a second or two.

Btw, my 5.5 yo ds is 35-36lbs and is in a cybex hbb and does great. The booster starts at 33lbs and he is a very calm, safety concious kid. :)

ETA: just saw you can't booster under 40lbs where you live!

cookie123

Hannah was in the GN until 8.5 when she outgrew it by height. No issues, but she doesn't have much of a social life and they walk to school.

penguingrooves

momtoesther said:

sounds like my daughter who's 2 lbs heavier and an inch shorter than yours. at least the clothes last longer and i can RF for a looong time. i was 55 lbs and a head shorter when i was 12... (i grew to 5' 2 1/2", though i shrunk an inch now, sigh.)

HEVY

My DD is basically average in the growth area and is still harnessed at 8.5. Teach her why she is harnessed and she will fend for herself when asked, most other kids accept the reasoning at that age.

wildeyes

dd1 was in her apex till she was about 7. outgrew it by height. shes 10 now and is still in a booster, at 53 lbs and 53 inches. my 4 yr old is 32 lbs and 38 inches. she still fits in her old efta rf but shes in a ff radian, on the second to the thihest slots. i hope she gets to 40 lbs before shes too tall for the radian.

i wonder what the new baby will do....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC