Arizona following in California's footsteps

Aurezalia

Arizona has been WAY behind the times as far as CPS goes. Our laws, as they stand now, only require children under 5 years of age to be restrained in a child safety seat.
Fortunately, it looks as though that could change. We have HB 2154 coming up to vote - like California, it would require children of 8 years of age and under 4'9" to be restrained with a booster seat. If this passes, this could mean a huge change in safety for Arizona's children!

Here is Arizona's injury statistics over the last half decade, as well as slightly more information on HB 2154.

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, to be fair, California was a bit behind the curve in that regard. Several other states were 8 and/or 4'9" (and/or 80 lbs) far earlier. What makes California law unique is the proper fit clause.

But in any case, I hope Arizona follows suit. With so many other states on-board, it seems like it would be hard not to.

swtgi1982

Can't wait. Then my in laws can quit getting advice from store employees in AZ and telling me my DD no longer needs even a booster since she is almost six. Grrrrr!

Aurezalia

Well, to be fair, California was a bit behind the curve in that regard. Several other states were 8 and/or 4'9" (and/or 80 lbs) far earlier. What makes California law unique is the proper fit clause.

But in any case, I hope Arizona follows suit. With so many other states on-board, it seems like it would be hard not to.

Well, if I'm reading right, the portion of our law that says "Children under 16 must be properly restrained in a seatbelt" is SUPPOSED to be about proper belt fit, although it hasn't been upheld/intrepreted that way as it was meant to be. It sounds like HB 2154 could also help clarify that portion as well?
But yeah, I REALLY hope this passes. We're one of 3 states left with super lax CPS laws!

swtgi1982

Aurezalia said:
Well, if I'm reading right, the portion of our law that says "Children under 16 must be properly restrained in a seatbelt" is SUPPOSED to be about proper belt fit, although it hasn't been upheld/intrepreted that way as it was meant to be. It sounds like HB 2154 could also help clarify that portion as well?
But yeah, I REALLY hope this passes. We're one of 3 states left with super lax CPS laws!

AZ, FL, and ?? Who is the third? Just can not remember now

jnamommy

THis would be nice if this passed. It is frightening how many kids in my son's kdg class (and even preschool last year) ride in nothing :eek:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
California law used to say "properly used" belt or something, too, but that wasn't defined. "Properly used" could just mean that the belt is buckled in front of someone, you know? The new law actually defines proper fit (lap belt low on hips, shoulder belt crossing chest).

wildeyes

i just fb'd that. thanks for posting the link. :) i have 2 small cousins that regularly ride sitting ON the seats, not IN them. sigh. i made them buckle up for the one trip i was in the car (for all of 1/4 mi no less) and they were NOT happy with me. i dont care. hopefully either mom or dad sees it on my wall.

tjham

Unfortunately, the new AZ proposed law says UNDER 8, not 8 and under. :(
California says "until they are 8" which also means "7". *sigh*

SavsMom

Yep, South Dakota stinks for their child restraint laws. I cannot tell you how many weird looks I get when I travel back there to visit my family and people saw my 2 year old rear facing, and then again when dd was 3 years old and still harnessed. Then again TSA at the Sioux Falls airport also thought I was carrying a rifle inside my Radian when I traveled with it this summer (gotta love that steel frame ). Sadly Florida (where I now live) stinks too, but at least I have started to see many parents rear facing longer as well as harnessing longer.

Aurezalia

Unfortunately, the new AZ proposed law says UNDER 8, not 8 and under. :(
California says "until they are 8" which also means "7". *sigh*

Ugh, you are right. :( Still, it'll be an improvement over 5 year olds "restrained" in an adult belt!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC