Question Things are changing, need did vehicle

Dorothy

Minivan question- I know the Odyssey is often favored here, but would the extra ground clearance and AWD of the Sienna give it the edge in a place that gets snow in the winter? Also, many family members we would visit live down dirt roads. How big of a difference would AWD make in that situation?

I'm so lost, having driven a big, 4WD pickup for so long...

Sent from my phone using the app :)

ADS

sheena

I have an odyssey and live where there is snow. Ive never had an issue and i drive 30 miles one way everyday to take my son to his autism school. Much more snow where the school is at and my mini van( which i never thought id be driving at 26 lol) handles well.

Dorothy

sheena said:
I have an odyssey and live where there is snow. Ive never had an issue and i drive 30 miles one way everyday to take my son to his autism school. Much more snow where the school is at and my mini van( which i never thought id be driving at 26 lol) handles well.

Just saw your other post. Thanks so much for the info. I am actually getting excited about going on test drives.

bubbaray

Minivan question- I know the Odyssey is often favored here, but would the extra ground clearance and AWD of the Sienna give it the edge in a place that gets snow in the winter? Also, many family members we would visit live down dirt roads. How big of a difference would AWD make in that situation?

Personally, having had a 2005 Ody and having driving it in the snow here (which is rare, but treacherous and icy when we do get it), I would get the AWD Sienna if I lived in a snow area and I was choosing between the Ody and the Sienna. HOWEVER, neither are ideal for dirt/gravel roads because their clearance isn't great. Certainly NOT like a truck or an SUV.

I do know people who own Ody's who live in snowy areas, though. You'd definitely want winter tires.

Do you crate your dogs and if so, what size crate do you use?

Dorothy

sheena said:
Lol i think you will be surprised at how smooth it drives. I feel like im driving a car at times.

I'm sure I will be surprised. Basically the only experience with minivans was in school. Fleet vans... Yuck!

My friend, who never wanted a minivan, loves her Odyssey. I have been wooed by her tales of spaciousness and convenience. ;-)

sheena

Haha i did the same thing. Never thought id drive a mini van but im in love with odyssey!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Dorothy

bubbaray said:
Personally, having had a 2005 Ody and having driving it in the snow here (which is rare, but treacherous and icy when we do get it), I would get the AWD Sienna if I lived in a snow area and I was choosing between the Ody and the Sienna. HOWEVER, neither are ideal for dirt/gravel roads because their clearance isn't great. Certainly NOT like a truck or an SUV.

I do know people who own Ody's who live in snowy areas, though. You'd definitely want winter tires.

Do you crate your dogs and if so, what size crate do you use?

Thx. I'm going to drive both. I know nothing about minivans, so this is all a new experience!

We do crate the dogs. I can't remember the sizes offhand, and I'm too lazy to go measure right now. (My floor tiles are 1' x 1', and the crate is two long by a little more than one wide. Looking online, that would make it maybe a 24 x 17 x 20. Maybe...)

acoro

sheena said:
Haha i did the same thing. Never thought id drive a mini van but im in love with odyssey!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Me too! I live in the snow belt & love my ody. I love the suspension (drives like a car as PP wrote) and the flexible seating. I have three across my middle row right now with not so narrow seats GN/Sr35/GN all seatbelt installs leaving my third row free for whatever (to give you an idea of possible configs and available space

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
First sorry I haven't read all 4 pages of replies.

I know people have already recommended the large size SUV's (ie: Suburban/Expedition). So I won't continue down that road.

Maybe take a look at the GM crossover (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse & Saturn Outlook). New Ford Explorer & Flex. While I am not a huge fan of the Flex just due to it's styling it does meet most of your requirements besides towing.

It meets all your requirements on needing people & cargo space plus smaller in size then the large size SUV's. Plus gets better gas mileage.

vtbecca

Why are people so anti minivan?! Minivans are awesome :) Maybe not as cool as an SUV, but honestly for transporting people they are as close to perfect as you can get. Maybe your DH will come around ?!

Becca

ETA I don't mean people on here, just people in general. I've often heard the "I'll never drive a minivan" sentiment and I don't get it.

Dorothy

vtbecca said:
Why are people so anti minivan?! Minivans are awesome :) Maybe not as cool as an SUV, but honestly for transporting people they are as close to perfect as you can get. Maybe your DH will come around ?!

Becca

ETA I don't mean people on here, just people in general. I've often heard the "I'll never drive a minivan" sentiment and I don't get it.

I never thought I'd willingly consider a minivan for various reasons. Then, circumstances changed. So, I decided to apply a variation of the "fits your child, car and budget" carseats mantra to my vehicle search. I realized I just want to be happy with whatever vehicle I choose. I want to like driving it, and I want people to like riding in it. I don't want to have to struggle to figure out where to put people or their things when we have extra riders. So, I let go of any preconceived notions I had and am interested to see where this little experiment takes us. :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor

Becca

I am one of those people that says and will continue to say "I will NEVER drive a minivan". Why you ask because there is nothing about a minivan that I find appealing. I also don't think minivans are the only thing that are close to perfect in transporting people. The leg room in most minivans I have been in lack leg room in the 3rd row. I find that the crossovers are better people movers because most have adjustable 2nd rows that allow you to give more leg room to the 3rd row. Ease in and out of the vehicle is just as easy as a minivan. They give you more cargo area and have the ability to fold flat 3rd rows. You still get good gas mileage plus you have more towing capacity that those who want a traditional SUV can have. Then add in ground clearance when you do need it esp if you are towing a boat or trailer that you may need off train ability.

The only benefit I found in a minivan that a SUV or Crossover doesn't give you is sliding doors. That is it!

Cath3114

jen_nah said:
I am one of those people that says and will continue to say "I will NEVER drive a minivan". Why you ask because there is nothing about a minivan that I find appealing. I also don't think minivans are the only thing that are close to perfect in transporting people.

Exactly this. I'll never drive a minivan. My sedan does just fine now (with my one kid). I have a beast of a back seat, so I will have no problem putting another seat back there for #2, eventually. I would have no problem with a 3 across. I have a massive trunk. If I ever feel the need for more room, I'd get an SUV or another crossover.

Dorothy

OP here. Can I ask a favor of all of you? This is a vehicle suggestion thread, not a minivan debate. I am looking for constructive information on the following vehicles: Enclave, Flex, Odyssey, and Sienna. If I just do not like one of those, well, I will be looking at the Yukon XL, Sequoia and Expedition. We are a family of four with three medium-size dogs, so I am not looking at anything smaller. Would you mind terribly if we kept on-track? Thank you.

ETA: I drove a Pilot. Very nice vehicle, but I couldn't even fit the Micro double behind the third row. :) It piqued my interest in seeing the Odyssey, though...

Last edited:

Dorothy

This is probably a super-silly question: In the Enclave, the second row shoulder belt comes from the wall instead of the seat itself. So, if a carseat is installed there with the seatbelt, you cannot move that seat on the track without messing up the install, right? I was just envisioning someone trying to nice the vehicle seat for Third row access or more third row leg room...

Melanie

This is probably a super-silly question: In the Enclave, the second row shoulder belt comes from the wall instead of the seat itself. So, if a carseat is installed there with the seatbelt, you cannot move that seat on the track without messing up the install, right? I was just envisioning someone trying to nice the vehicle seat for Third row access or more third row leg room...

You're right. You wouldn't be able to slide the seat with a seatbelt installed carseat. I suppose I should say that's my opinion, I haven't actually tried it in that vehicle. But it sounds like a similar set up to my old van and that's how it worked.

ETA: Now if it was LATCH installed, it might slide. Although that would depend on where the top tether is attached. If it's on the floor, you'd still be stuck in that spot. The top tether spot is actually something you may want to take a look at when you're looking at vehicles. It's much more convenient when it attaches to the back of the vehicle's seat. Some vehicle's have an attachment point in the floor or the cargo area.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
OP here. Can I ask a favor of all of you? This is a vehicle suggestion thread, not a minivan debate. I am looking for constructive information on the following vehicles: Enclave, Flex, Odyssey, and Sienna. If I just do not like one of those, well, I will be looking at the Yukon XL, Sequoia and Expedition. We are a family of four with three medium-size dogs, so I am not looking at anything smaller. Would you mind terribly if we kept on-track? Thank you.

ETA: I drove a Pilot. Very nice vehicle, but I couldn't even fit the Micro double behind the third row. :) It piqued my interest in seeing the Odyssey, though...

People get off track in conversations and on a message board that is the norm...well its normal in life as well Also people getting off track will often times provide information you otherwise never would have knower thought to ask about so it can really be a good thing.

While *you* may have started the thread this is *our* message board and if you try to dictate what people are allowed to say in your threads you will find people no longer wanting to take their time to help you with your questions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC