Question Things are changing, need did vehicle

Dorothy

Thirsty4Knowledge said:
Yes, we had a ProSport with a teen and average adult back there. The teen had more than enough room, slightly tight for adult but not uncomfortable.

The big different between the gm third rows and the ford third rows is the foot well. GM's (except Suburban i think) footwell is super small and raised. The Ford third row is fairly spacious. I think it's easier to fit 3 across than my Altima.

Great! Thanks. :)

Sent from my phone using the app :)

ADS

Dorothy

Ok, DH has said he would very much like something smaller than the Yukon XL, Sequoia or Expedition. He wants a safe, reliable, sensible family vehicle that can do the following things: 1) accommodate 6-8 people and a little cargo (shopping bags and a stroller, or some luggage) and 2) accommodate the four of us plus our three medium-sized dogs, vacation luggage and a stroller.

If you were picking a vehicle based on DH's wants list, what would you get? Thanks!

T4K

DorothyoutofOz said:
Ok, DH has said he would very much like something smaller than the Yukon XL, Sequoia or Expedition. He wants a safe, reliable, sensible family vehicle that can do the following things: 1) accommodate 6-8 people and a little cargo (shopping bags and a stroller, or some luggage) and 2) accommodate the four of us plus our three medium-sized dogs, vacation luggage and a stroller.

If you were picking a vehicle based on DH's wants list, what would you get? Thanks!

I'm not sure that exists. Sorry, I'm not much help :p

bubbaray

ITA that I don't think this vehicle exists. I think if you want to carry up to 8 people AND cargo, you're looking at a large SUV. Or an 8 passenger minivan, but you've said upthread you aren't interested in vans.

Any of the mid-sized SUVs that seat 7-8 won't have much cargo room once you use the third row.

Dorothy

bubbaray said:
ITA that I don't think this vehicle exists. I think if you want to carry up to 8 people AND cargo, you're looking at a large SUV. Or an 8 passenger minivan, but you've said upthread you aren't interested in vans.

Any of the mid-sized SUVs that seat 7-8 won't have much cargo room once you use the third row.

Will a Flex, Pilot or Acadia/Traverse/Enclave have enough cargo room behind the third row to put a couple of suitcases or an umbrella stroller plus some shopping bags? With the third row down, would there be room for three crates and three suitcases behind the second row?

Thanks for all your help!

ETA- Add the Mazda CX-9 to the mix. It seems to have good reviews despite a cramped third row.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Pilot can do an umbrella stroller plus shopping bags (the bags would sit on the stroller, but will fit without incident.) Suitcases... they'd have to be smaller ones.

With the third row down, the trunk is enormous.

bubbaray

Will a Flex, Pilot or Acadia/Traverse/Enclave have enough cargo room behind the third row to put a couple of suitcases or an umbrella stroller plus some shopping bags? With the third row down, would there be room for three crates and three suitcases behind the second row?

Thanks for all your help!

ETA- Add the Mazda CX-9 to the mix. It seems to have good reviews despite a cramped third row.

I actually don't think that a Flex could fit even one crate from floor to ceiling. I guess it depends on the size of the crate. We have a large plastic one (that is huge) and a large wire one (that is a more normal size) and there is no way that even the wire one would fit in the Flex with the 3rd row stowed. I got that wire crate to use in my former Ody and no way no how would it have fit in the Flex. I was really stunned as to the lack of floor to ceiling height in that vehicle.

Dorothy

bubbaray said:
I actually don't think that a Flex could fit even one crate from floor to ceiling. I guess it depends on the size of the crate. We have a large plastic one (that is huge) and a large wire one (that is a more normal size) and there is no way that even the wire one would fit in the Flex with the 3rd row stowed. I got that wire crate to use in my former Ody and no way no how would it have fit in the Flex. I was really stunned as to the lack of floor to ceiling height in that vehicle.

Shucks. It's my favorite just looking at pictures. Hmmm...

Dorothy

Carrie_R said:
Pilot can do an umbrella stroller plus shopping bags (the bags would sit on the stroller, but will fit without incident.) Suitcases... they'd have to be smaller ones.

With the third row down, the trunk is enormous.

My friend just got one. Maybe I'll ask if I can play with it a bit. Thx.

Dorothy

DH looked at the Enclave today. He really liked it. So, I stopped by to look for just a sec. They seem nice enough. The third row isn't particularly roomy, but a small-to-average adult could probably stand to ride around town back there. I couldn't get the headrests to adjust upward, though. It was at the base of my skull, so perfectly useless...

Edit: I found Darren's blog, which answered some questions I had.

http://carseatblog.com/12309/2011-and-2012-buick-enclave-kids-safety-review/

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I rode in a brand new Yukon (limo) third row a few times this week. The space for passengers back there is no bigger than an Enclave, Pilot or other larger midsize SUV and less than the bigger minivans. The head restraints there are also very limited. The space behind the third row is much better than the midsize SUVs, though, closer to what minivans offer.

Dorothy

CPSDarren said:
I rode in a brand new Yukon third row a few times this week. The space for passengers back there is no bigger than an Enclave, Pilot or other larger midsize SUV and less than the bigger minivans. The head restraints there are also very limited. The space behind the third row is much better than the midsize SUVs, though, closer to what minivans offer.

I have to say that your blog review is the only one I got DH to read. He usually asks me to just gloss over the highlights. He read yours and watched the videos. Your raves about the a/c seats hooked him. ;-) He is pretty set on the Enclave all of a sudden. He likes the look, is really impressed with the crash test results, and keeps reminding me that there are only four of us 95% of the time. I can't argue with any of those things. Unless I'm really turned off by the test drive, it is looking like I will be piloting an Enclave when we head north.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I can't remember if I mentioned it in my review, but one thing I notice a lot with the Acadia/Enclave is that you can hear them a mile away. A lot of them seem to have some transmission noise or something that seems loud outside, but I don't recall it being any noiser than average inside.

Dorothy

CPSDarren said:
I can't remember if I mentioned it in my review, but one thing I notice a lot with the Acadia/Enclave is that you can hear them a mile away. A lot of them seem to have some transmission noise or something that seems loud outside, but I don't recall it being any noiser than average inside.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I've read that in other reviews. I'm interested to see how the test drive goes!

Dorothy

Help!!! I've found myself considering - GULP! - minivans. I never thought is see this day, but they are the same price as the mid-size SUVs we are considering. I've begun to wonder if ill regret not having the flexibility of a minivan as the kids start school, become involved in activities and make friends. Please help me think this through. I need advice from the outside, because my head is bogged down. TIA

Melanie

Popping back in on the Flex- 3rd row is roomy. My 6'3" hubby has ridden in it. He drove 5 hours with 6 men (6 total people) and everyone had plenty of room. Not arguing with PP, but I feel like it has a lot of cargo room and fine space with the third row stored. I guess it depends on what your coming from. My prior cars were a sedan and an older minivan that didn't have flipping seats or the cargo well. Let me know if you would like any measurements. We frequently do 4 hour trips with 4-5 of us, 3 small dogs and luggage. I usually put the 2 or 3 kids in the second row (I have a bench) and the dogs in the third row (uncrated) with the luggage and stuff in the cargo area behind the third row. I'd think you could put your people/kids in the front 2 rows, fold the third row seat over and put the dog crates there..then put luggage and stuff in the well/cargo area. Cargo room is kind of like a minivan...it's vertical instead of horizontal. We do pack all the way to the ceiling at times.

ETA: minivans are very convenient...sliding doors are wonderful.

Dorothy

Melanie said:
Popping back in on the Flex- 3rd row is roomy. My 6'3" hubby has ridden in it. He drove 5 hours with 6 men (6 total people) and everyone had plenty of room. Not arguing with PP, but I feel like it has a lot of cargo room and fine space with the third row stored. I guess it depends on what your coming from. My prior cars were a sedan and an older minivan that didn't have flipping seats or the cargo well. Let me know if you would like any measurements. We frequently do 4 hour trips with 4-5 of us, 3 small dogs and luggage. I usually put the 2 or 3 kids in the second row (I have a bench) and the dogs in the third row (uncrated) with the luggage and stuff in the cargo area behind the third row. I'd think you could put your people/kids in the front 2 rows, fold the third row seat over and put the dog crates there..then put luggage and stuff in the well/cargo area. Cargo room is kind of like a minivan...it's vertical instead of horizontal. We do pack all the way to the ceiling at times.

ETA: minivans are very convenient...sliding doors are wonderful.

Thanks! :) I do have a couple of questions stock photos and descriptions aren't answering: Does the bench have three headrests and three lap/shoulder belts? Does the Flex have the inflatable belts? I would still like to see the Flex irl. The Enclave third row really disappoints me. :-(

I guess I'm going to be driving the Flex, Pilot and Enclave. DH is dead set against a minivan, but I might end up test driving the Odyssey and Sienna, too. I might as well, so I know I've made an informed decision, huh? Sigh... So many big decisions right now.

Melanie

Thanks! :) I do have a couple of questions stock photos and descriptions aren't answering: Does the bench have three headrests and three lap/shoulder belts? Does the Flex have the inflatable belts? I would still like to see the Flex irl. The Enclave third row really disappoints me. :-(

I guess I'm going to be driving the Flex, Pilot and Enclave. DH is dead set against a minivan, but I might end up test driving the Odyssey and Sienna, too. I might as well, so I know I've made an informed decision, huh? Sigh... So many big decisions right now.

Yes, Flex has headrests and shoulder belts in all seating spots. The middle of the bench comes from the top of the actual seat instead of the ceiling. That's the least comfortable spot. I've sat in it on long trips, but the ridgid seat belt connectors for that spot and the one next to it are a little under my butt. It's This was a must for me and a huge peeve in my prior vehicle. It does not have the inflatable seat belts-I'd double check if you are looking at new, but the 2010 ones don't. What else...the only spot that does not have a top tether is the rear driver's side. I :love: the neat techy stuff. In a crash it will unlock the doors, turn on the hazards and honk the horn. It will also call 911 through your cell phone and the Sync system. Back up sensors are standard. The 2nd row has a button to automatically flip and tumble it. We had a hard time deciding between it and the Pilot. In the end, the biggest thing we favored on the Flex was the standard niceties on the basic model that were only on the higher level Pilots.

That said-the Pilot was very nice too. Headrests and shoulder belts in all spots. It's technically an 8 passenger, but I'd say 7 passenger is more realistic to be comfortable. We looked at the Chevy version of the Enclave. I crossed it off the list because of the lack of headrests in both middle spots. That was a must for me, but may not be for everyone.

I'd at least try out the minivans...you might be surprised.

Dorothy

Melanie said:
Yes, Flex has headrests and shoulder belts in all seating spots. The middle of the bench comes from the top of the actual seat instead of the ceiling. That's the least comfortable spot. I've sat in it on long trips, but the ridgid seat belt connectors for that spot and the one next to it are a little under my butt. It's This was a must for me and a huge peeve in my prior vehicle. It does not have the inflatable seat belts-I'd double check if you are looking at new, but the 2010 ones don't. What else...the only spot that does not have a top tether is the rear driver's side. I :love: the neat techy stuff. In a crash it will unlock the doors, turn on the hazards and honk the horn. It will also call 911 through your cell phone and the Sync system. Back up sensors are standard. The 2nd row has a button to automatically flip and tumble it. We had a hard time deciding between it and the Pilot. In the end, the biggest thing we favored on the Flex was the standard niceties on the basic model that were only on the higher level Pilots.

That said-the Pilot was very nice too. Headrests and shoulder belts in all spots. It's technically an 8 passenger, but I'd say 7 passenger is more realistic to be comfortable. We looked at the Chevy version of the Enclave. I crossed it off the list because of the lack of headrests in both middle spots. That was a must for me, but may not be for everyone.

I'd at least try out the minivans...you might be surprised.

Very, very helpful! Thank you so much. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC