Question Things are changing, need did vehicle

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I saw the 2013 Ford Flex at the Auto Show yesterday. It looks really nice. It's a refresh, not an all-new model. It seems pretty similar to the Enclave/Traverse and Pilot in overall roominess, but perhaps minor differences will make it more appealing? Not quite minivan flexibility, but perhaps as close as you can get in a midsize SUV.

Dorothy

CPSDarren said:
I saw the 2013 Ford Flex at the Auto Show yesterday. It looks really nice. It's a refresh, not an all-new model. It seems pretty similar to the Enclave/Traverse and Pilot in overall roominess, but perhaps minor differences will make it more appealing? Not quite minivan flexibility, but perhaps as close as you can get in a midsize SUV.

Thanks! I still haven't made it to the Ford dealership. I way hoping the blog would get one for review! I was also hoping the Enclave would be more accommodating since that's what DH really wants. If we didn't still have a rfer, it would work better. DS is only two, though. I don't know that I want to deal with the limitations for two years. Although, I still haven't driven a minivan, either. I'm excited and scared. LOL! My friend test drove the Ody the other day and complained the it floated like a magic carpet, making her motion sick. Sigh...

Sent from my phone using the app :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Next up for the blog is the Mazda CX-9 in a few weeks. I generally try not to do too many reviews in winter since I dislike doing installs and video when it's really cold. I do have a request for the 2013 Flex, but that could be a few months. Considering we've been waiting a year for an Explorer with the inflatable seatbelts, I'd suggest not waiting on our review of the Flex lol. I'm not sure when they appear on dealer lots, but probably soon. I'll have a short video from the auto show next week, but it really won't help you much because I had no carseats.

Dorothy

CPSDarren said:
Next up for the blog is the Mazda CX-9 in a few weeks. I generally try not to do too many reviews in winter since I dislike doing installs and video when it's really cold. I do have a request for the 2013 Flex, but that could be a few months. Considering we've been waiting a year for an Explorer with the inflatable seatbelts, I'd suggest not waiting on our review of the Flex lol. I'm not sure when they appear on dealer lots, but probably soon. I'll have a short video from the auto show next week, but it really won't help you much because I had no carseats.

LOL about "I generally try not to do too many reviews in winter since I dislike doing installs and video when it's really cold." I have the CX-9 on my alternates list. Can't wait to see your Flex video!

Freekel

I just got a 2012 Honda ody and I'm in love!!! It is so roomy on the inside and I really enjoy driving it! I had a 2009 ody and liked it fine but I really love the new one! Carseats are a breeze to install and 3 across the 2nd row is very easy! I have a frontier (huge), blvd and another blvd and they don't even touch! I wanted an suv this time but in the end I just wasn't willing to give up the space and ease of a minivan. So, that said, it is worth driving!!!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I forgot to mention- if you are leaning toward the Enclave, GMC is refreshing the Acadia Denali for 2013. Basically the same platform with refreshed styling and a few feature updates. It also has an extra center airbag that deploys between driver and front passenger. They had it on display at the auto show this week. It has a more "truck" like appearance. Should be available this fall.

luckyclov

I see this thread is older and long (I haven't read all 6 pages), so this may have been covered already, but why not look at an F-150 SuperCrew, since you like trucks? It meets all of your criteria (with a good cover on the bed). DH just traded in his '10 for a '12. I kicked and screamed and swore when DH went with another F-150 over a Tundra, but I have to say, Ford did a kick-butt job with their revisions and I'm really happy with it. And the manual has a touch of sarcasm which makes me giggle with delight.

Dorothy

clov878 said:
I see this thread is older and long (I haven't read all 6 pages), so this may have been covered already, but why not look at an F-150 SuperCrew, since you like trucks? It meets all of your criteria (with a good cover on the bed). DH just traded in his '10 for a '12. I kicked and screamed and swore when DH went with another F-150 over a Tundra, but I have to say, Ford did a kick-butt job with their revisions and I'm really happy with it. And the manual has a touch of sarcasm which makes me giggle with delight.

I wish! But DH isn't going to have a company car after we move. His alternate vehicle is our old farm truck, which isn't in good enough condition for him to be driving it back and forth to work. We are estimating he will be logging fewer miles than me weekly after DD starts school in the fall. So, he is going to take my pickup while I get something more fuel efficient. We know we will need seating for four adults and two kids in carseats on a fairly regular basis, hence the CUV/mid-size SUV and reluctant minivan interest. ;-)

luckyclov

Bummer. I really can't say enough good about the new F-150s. It *is* a 6 passenger (as in...6 useable seats), but the adult who'd be in the front seat center would have to be kid-sized like me (I'm 5'2").

You know how I feel about the Sienna. If it makes you feel any less reluctant, some easy-on-the-eyes firefighter told me it was "sexy" for a minivan at Target last week.:p

Dorothy

clov878 said:
Bummer. I really can't say enough good about the new F-150s. It *is* a 6 passenger (as in...6 useable seats), but the adult who'd be in the front seat center would have to be kid-sized like me (I'm 5'2").

You know how I feel about the Sienna. If it makes you feel any less reluctant, some easy-on-the-eyes firefighter told me it was "sexy" for a minivan at Target last week.:p

LOL! I love it!!! Good to know. :)

Seriously, though, it really, really helps me that some of you drive pickups and minivans.

Dorothy

Went and test drove the Honda Odyssey and Ford Flex today! :) I really liked them both. I was very pleasantly surprised how much I liked the Ody's handling. I liked it a tad more than the Flex, in fact. But, I have no complaints about the Flex. I was very pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness of the Flex. I was even pleased with the amount of cargo room behind the third row. As far as carseats, I tried the Ave rfing in the third row. It was tight but might be do-able. I did not measure the angle, though. However, based on the quick Ave experiment, I would like to think a new gen Britax should fit. Maybe a Radian w AA? I did have trouble with the Maestro, second row captain's chair, seatbelt. Even with the belt tight, it moved all over! I didn't devote a lot of time to it, though, bc the LATCH install was a snap.

That's all I have time for now.

ETA- I looked at a '11 F150 that was parked by the Flex. Wow! If one of these two vehicles doesn't work out, I am seriously thinking of taking a spin in one. Cavernous! Six real seating positions! Go, Ford! :)

luckyclov

ETA- I looked at a '11 F150 that was parked by the Flex. Wow! If one of these two vehicles doesn't work out, I am seriously thinking of taking a spin in one. Cavernous! Six real seating positions! Go, Ford! :)
I'm not gonna lie. It's pretty awesome.;)

Dorothy

We are still looking at the Flex. Nothing else we've looked at works as well for us. We are taking our sweet time actually getting one, though. ;-) It is becoming a much bigger priority now, so hopefully I can update in the next month or so with my personal review of the Flex. :)

mommydev

I have a 2011 Flex and we love it. Really the only thing I occasionally wish it had is sliding doors, but I just really couldn't seem to get on board with a mini van and DH was dead set against it. I have no complaints about the cargo space. I can get my B-ready stroller and a grocery run behind the 3rd row (as long as I didn't buy multiple big boxes/cases). I could get 5 seats in if needed, provided they were the right ones. Let me know if you have any other questions Melanie didn't already answer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC