How old were your kids when they stopped using a HBB?

aeormsby

I just got the Vivo I ordered, but it has a manuf date of 8-24-10. I'm kind of bummed, but I did only pay $75 for it. And I got to thinking, but the time it expires DD will be 10.5yo & DS will be 8.5yo (in Aug 2016). So it's probably unlikely I'd need a HBB beyond that anyway, right? If by chance we still have the same truck in 4 years the kids will still need HBB for lack of headrests in it though (truck will be 13 years old by that point so likely replaced by then).

(Other boosters I have are a PWSGL that will expire the end of 2016 also, and 2 Frontiers expiring in 2018 & 2020)

ADS

emandbri

I think Jacob was around 8 when he got too tall for the star riser. I started letting Daniel use a no back occasionally at 8 but he liked the high back and used the back on the monterey until he was 10 when I took pictures and folks here said he fit better in the backless.

Benjamin is 8 and wants a no back but fits fine in the monterey and pro booster so I've kept him in them, plus he still falls asleep in the van.

christineka

I have short kids who like high back boosters. I also believe as long as the child fits, the high back should be used. My oldest is 12 and has just switched to a backless for mostly full time.

Baylor

Sorry read one thread and replied to that here. Silly me.

auto correct hates me

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper was a few months shy of 9 in my car. In my husband's she's still in a high back. It wouldn't bother me if she was in a backless in both, but she just uses that one there and fits, so no big deal.

Wendy

ginny4

i think my big guys were 9.5-9.75yo when they outgrew the Monterey HBB. they did use backless booster occasionally at about 7yo or so

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I told AJ he could move this spring to a nbb when Evan moves to a hbb. AJ will be 9 in May and Evan was 7 in Dec.

kater-tot82

My DD is 8.5 and has been in a backless in DH's car (secondary vehicle) since age 7. I recently had her in one in the van for awhile but she decided the leather seats were too cold and wanted her Monterey back. I am thinking she will be in a backless there this spring when she is 9.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
9.25 in the main vehicle. She still uses a highback in the secondary vehicle because there are no headrests in the center. And she used a backless on rare occasions from age 8 on.

VoodooChile

I bought a 10/2010 Oobr last month. It was the cover dd wanted, gender neutral so ds can use it, and with the 9 year expiration, I figure he'll be fine in a nbb by the time it expires (or we'll be on to something else by then).

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My oldest was 8.5. I only took the back off his Turbo because he was too tall (shoulders were at the red guides).

My 7yo is still in a Hbb full-time (other than the rare, less than once a month ride in dhs car). She'll be in it until she's too tall.

crunchierthanthou

ds still is (age 7), but I expect he'll be in a backless around age 8. He doesn't need the sides to sleep. He stays in position. The few times he has ridden in a backless, the shoulder belt fit well. We have headrests in all positions... I haven't seen compelling evidence for keeping a kid in a hbb over a backless under those circumstances.

kirsty

My nearly 12 year old niece went backless at 9 when she out grew the back. Then my 10 year old niece for the last year I have let her decide and last couple months she has chosed lbb. My 8 year old niece uses hbb half the time and lbb the other half time starting to use lbb more thou as about to outgrow hbb and then there is my nephew who is 7 and he only uses lbb when that's the only way to safely get everyone in car that's usually in three across

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My "big kids" at my last job were 10 & 9.5 and still used HBBs, at least on a part-time basis. The 9.5yo just about 5 stepped, so he rode in a backless/adult belt to/from school, but was in a hbb for anything longer... They still slept on longer trips and benefited from the side wings keeping them in position in general.

Current charge is almost 9.5 and has gobs of room in the Monterey. Can't see any reason to move him, plus he is a leaner.

If I didn't have car sleepers, my answer would probably be different.

Simplysomething

My oldest came out of the high back at 10, I think. Or 9(I can't remember, now). My kids have short torsos, and long legs. My youngest just went IN to the high back (from harness) fulltime, a few months ago, and he's almost 7, and I've only got it up one notch, I think. It's a Turbo (and I don't like the belt guides on the newer Turbos, as compared to 2005, 2006 versions).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC