How many of us have own/do own or have encountered a short strapped Radian?

How many short strapped Radian's are there in Canada?

• I own/owned a short strapped Radian

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I saw a display Radian that was short strapped

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I know someone who owns/have owned one(who is not on this board and will not be answering this poll)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

BudgieStew

First time doing a poll so bear with me.

Just curious as to have many we number on this board.Off hand I am going to say less then 10.

I own two Radian's. One of which is a short strapped.
This does not overly bother me as I am confident that it will be replaced with a regular strapped one..and am continuing to recommend them to others.

Last edited:
ADS

canadianmom2three

I own a short strap Radian, but they did send me a replacement, just never asked for the short strap one back... I lent it to a friend who has a younger child. When looking for a replacement for my short strap (I was origionally going to just take it back) and checked the two closest Canadian Tire's to me, both of the display models I found there were short strapped - hence SK sending out the new one.

tiger926

We have 1 too and my neighborhood CT is still carrying them too - told Brad, Lucy & Russ, but they didn't seem concerned which really bugs me! They need to get them off of shelves snd post something at CT, as well as on Sunshine website. Their response on this is so-so as well: PJM didn't respond to my first email (they couldn't find it when I asked about it), so I had to leave a voicemail and Lucy promptly returned my call. I then emailed Brad C. right away as per her instructions, and despite being told he will get back to me promptly, he did not - he just sent an older replacement seat to my house without any warning at all - sat on porch all night as I've mentioned several times. Contacted Russ, and although he responded promptly to my 1st email, he has not responded to my email about how angry we are in having to keep the replacement seat as we aew worried sabout the safety of it. He is doing nothing about my old replacement seat - despite sending photos of skuffed back and sticky goo on back of seat. Their customer service is spotty and inconsistent, and the fact that they've not been proactive in removing these seats, and alerting public, is very irresponsible and negligent in my opinion.

Tiger

canadianmom2three

Well I did neglect to say that when I first called them on the fact that I could barely buckle my 4yo son into his new seat (this was before I even knew there was such a thing as a short strapped Radian) they seemed to imply that I was either crazy, or had a very large child. Since neither is true, I persisted, and they did too, saying they had sold 'hundreds' of these seats with 'no' complaints like that at all...after numerous emails, the story changed to maybe there might be a very small number of short strapped seats in existence, and it might possibly be the case that I had by some small chance, ended up with one...eventually they replaced the seat, just in the nick of time really, as DS was JAMMED in there...and I was on the verge of just giving up and totally breaking the law by hopping the border and buying a Regent.

tiger926

Well I did neglect to say that when I first called them on the fact that I could barely buckle my 4yo son into his new seat (this was before I even knew there was such a thing as a short strapped Radian) they seemed to imply that I was either crazy, or had a very large child. Since neither is true, I persisted, and they did too, saying they had sold 'hundreds' of these seats with 'no' complaints like that at all...after numerous emails, the story changed to maybe there might be a very small number of short strapped seats in existence, and it might possibly be the case that I had by some small chance, ended up with one...eventually they replaced the seat, just in the nick of time really, as DS was JAMMED in there...and I was on the verge of just giving up and totally breaking the law by hopping the border and buying a Regent.

Same with us - our very tall torsoed 3yr old - just tyrned 4 - was having difficulty, which is why I went in search of info online. Thank goodness I found this board, or I would have been stuck with a defective seat. I mentioned this to Brad, Lucy & Russ, yet it didn't faze them at all. This board has done their jobs for them and to make us feel lucky that we got new replacement seats is ridiculous since that is the least they should have done!

Tiger

cdncasper

I have a short strapped Radian that I just bought on sunday. BTW: Russ told me about 50 of them were send out by accident.

We have 1 too and my neighborhood CT is still carrying them too - told Brad, Lucy & Russ, but they didn't seem concerned which really bugs me! They need to get them off of shelves snd post something at CT, as well as on Sunshine website. Their response on this is so-so as well: PJM didn't respond to my first email (they couldn't find it when I asked about it), so I had to leave a voicemail and Lucy promptly returned my call. I then emailed Brad C. right away as per her instructions, and despite being told he will get back to me promptly, he did not - he just sent an older replacement seat to my house without any warning at all - sat on porch all night as I've mentioned several times. Contacted Russ, and although he responded promptly to my 1st email, he has not responded to my email about how angry we are in having to keep the replacement seat as we aew worried sabout the safety of it. He is doing nothing about my old replacement seat - despite sending photos of skuffed back and sticky goo on back of seat. Their customer service is spotty and inconsistent, and the fact that they've not been proactive in removing these seats, and alerting public, is very irresponsible and negligent in my opinion.

Tiger

Have you directly called Russ? His email responses are often slow or misplaced, but he almost always answers his phone (Got the number through the main U.S. number) and is VERY responsive. My baby puked all over my--sorry, HIS--seat and I emailed and then called to figure out how to clean it and if soaked straps are still safe. Upon complete cleaning I found an odd small crack on the bottom/base of the seat, and called immediately. He said even though it wasn't a safety issue, they would replace it. I got the new seat 4 days later (I am in the U.S., so I'm sure that part is different) and the call tag for it a few days after that. The new seat was great and about 2 months newer on the DOM.

I've read your posts elsewhere, and am REALLY surprised at how your situation has been handled as so many of us have found them to have terrific customer service. I did finally conclude, though, that Russ likely gets TONS of emails, and therefor his answers are often short and missing in detail. Like he answers one question, but not another. however, when I call, he is very kind, and answers ALL my questions, even the new ones that his anwers bring up. I've talked to him for over an hour more than once. I would recommend calling, and calmly explaining your situation--focusing on the fact that your seat has obvious signs of being used, and that raises a HUGE safety concern for you. DOn't mention the DOM at all. It's really irrelavant as a reason behind needing a replacement seat. Just tell him you don't even feel safe with your child in it because you feel it's a used seat, and therefor you have no idea what happened to it before or why it may have been returned. There's a good chance they track the model numbers of returned seats and he may be able to verify that the seat you recieved was indeed returned. Especially if the previous owner actually registered it. IF they do track returned seats, and he firmly states yours was not, is it possibly yours was simply a floor model?

Sorry, that was long-winded. I just hate to see someone SO upset with a company that in general has given great customer service.

Stephanie

JaRylan

My first Radian 65 was a short strap bought at Canadian Tire in Regina. It was replaced with a 6 month old Radian and I was able to keep both covers but only the replacement seat. My replacement seat came from PJM (Brad Chow) in Vancouver.

I know of at least 2 other display models that are short strap at Canadian Tire stores - one in Regina SK and one in Brandon MB.

I have been repeatedly told that there were maybe 25 or 50 short strap Radians that made it out into stores.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I bought a Radian yesterday and it's short strapped. The store had this one in the box and then the display, the display also has short straps.

Seems like a lot more than 50 went out because surely everyone who ended up with short straps isn't on this board and we're almost up to 10 already... :confused: Although who knows exactly how many seats CT had ordered in... But there are multiple provinces involved. If the DOM were on the outside of the boxes, it would be an interesting statistic to travel around and tally the Aug DOM that were found - I don't think anyone has seen an Aug 06 DOM with long straps yet, have they?

cantech

I had a short strapped Radian and didn't know it until it was replaced with non short strapped one for a separate issue. I had even checked the lot number and DOM on the harness adjuster strap to make sure and they didn't correspond with the short strapped lot. It wasn't an issue for me, nor was it likely to become one as DD3 is tall and slim and will out grow the Radian by height even before reaching 48 lbs.

Belinda

I have one. I've been communicating with Russ this week. I finally got the e-mail from him today saying that a "replacement harness kit" will be shipped to me by UPS, and I should have it within a week. I was a little surprised to hear that it is a replacement harness, when others have had the whole seat replaced. Wonder if that means they've finally clued in that the problem is more widespread than they thought, and they need to find a better fix than simply replacing the seats.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I have one. I've been communicating with Russ this week. I finally got the e-mail from him today saying that a "replacement harness kit" will be shipped to me by UPS, and I should have it within a week. I was a little surprised to hear that it is a replacement harness, when others have had the whole seat replaced. Wonder if that means they've finally clued in that the problem is more widespread than they thought, and they need to find a better fix than simply replacing the seats.

It's just his way of giving you a nice surprise when your new seat shows up on your doorstep... sorry to ruin the surprise, but I don't want others thinking that there are replacement harnesses now... there are NO replacement harnesses. :)

shauburg

I had a short strapped Radian and didn't know it until it was replaced with non short strapped one for a separate issue. I had even checked the lot number and DOM on the harness adjuster strap to make sure and they didn't correspond with the short strapped lot.

Cantech - so what DOM was your short strapped Radian then? Just curious, as I thought all the short strapped ones were Aug 2006 DOM.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I wondered about that. Thanks for filling me in.

Yeah, I freaked about a harness replacement kit after others had been told the harness wasn't replaceable. :eek: I emailed him very nicely, but with my concerns, and he ended up calling me to tell me he was going to surprise me. :eek:

Does Russ usually email a tracking # when the seat ships? I didn't ask for one, and dd does still fit the harness with her current size, so it's not a huge rush... I just like tracking things online. ;)

supermommyof2

I bought our Radian at CT (Fort McMurray, AB) in Jan 07 but just found out about the short straps last wk. DOM is Aug 25/06. I've emailed Russ and haven't gotten a response yet, maybe I'll call next wk. Last time I checked there were still 2 on the shelf at CT, I'm betting they're short-strapped too.

Update: Russ finally responded, my new seat is on the way, can't wait to see what the DOM and sticker is :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC