Carseat for 3yo on British Airways

U

Unregistered

I've just ready on BA's sight that they only allow car seats for children up to 3. My daughter is 3 and 3/4 and there is no way I can fly on an international 10+ hour flight with her not in her car seat. It would drive me and everyone else on the plane crazy. Please tell me it isn't true.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Welcome to the board!

Unfortunately, from what I read the British airlines are really strict on their policies and very against car seats. :( If you read it on their website, that's probably what will happen. (One airline, can't remember if it's BA or Virgin, even requires you use THEIR child seat instead.)

I can think of a few possibilities for you. One is the CARES harness. While it isn't as ideal as the car seat, since sometimes the lap belt doesn't tighten well and a child can still unbuckle it, it may be better than nothing, and my daughter slept ok in it once her seat was reclined. It is approved in Europe, and since it's not a traditional car seat, they may be ok with you using it. It's worth calling British Airways to see what their policy is on its use. Here's the website: http://www.kidsflysafe.com/ They have a page on using it in Europe, and it says the UK Civil Authority approves it, so you can use it on any British airline. You would still need to make arrangements for a seat on the other end, since it's not safe for your car seat to check it or gate-check it (it could be lost or damaged.)

If your tickets are refundable, another option is to cancel them, get a refund, and buy tickets on a US-based airline instead, since US-based airlines are required by FAA regulations to let you use your car seat. Of course this may not be possible or practical in your situation, I don't know, but I thought I'd throw it out there, as if it IS possible, it would both help her be comfortable, and keep your car seat safe and with you.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do! Please let us know if you have any other questions, too.

You have deffo read correctly.
UK airlines are not very car seat friendly at all. Might have something to do with the fact that most UK car seats have to be installed with a lap and shoulder belt, not just a lap belt.
Virgin will not allow any carseat at all - you have to use their own seat, which looks like the most uncomfortable thing ever!
BA, will not let you use your seat on board if the child is over 3 - end of. Hell, depending on the staff that day - they are even likely to not let you use a seat if your child is UNDER 3 - they are that fickle.

cantabdad

You probably saw this on BA's website, but they do allow CARES for children between 12 months and 4 years of age. They refer to it as the "AmSafe System" so it might not be clear, but this is one and the same as CARES.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/child/public/en_us

If you are going to London or another big city, you may not need a carseat on the other end, since you can use public transport for everything. In that case, CARES may be your best option. Indeed it appears to be your only option if you've already booked your travel.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I am going to need a car seat when I get there. Would it be safe to take the seat to the gate and ask them to check it then?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Not something I'd recommend. If you have to check a seat it needs to be better protected than that, and I'm talking bubble wrap and a box, if possible. (If not, a sturdy padded bag and bubble wrap.) This generally means checking with other baggage, not at the gate, due to the regulations, which unfortunately increases the likelihood of loss... Alternatively, bring a Ride Safer Travel Vest, and carry it on. Or, have a seat waiting for you, or just plan to use public transportation instead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC