Found a CPST course near me, but...

monzogary

Senior Community Member
it's a "controlled" course that needs to have the lead instructors ok for me to get in. Has anyone tried to get into a controlled course and have you succeeded? I am really hoping to get in - it is in September and only 30 mins or so away from me. I even told dh about it and he didn't have a cow at the fact that I asked him to use 4 vacation days for it LOL!
I did look for all courses, and there were no public courses at all near me this year.
Keeping my fingers crossed in MI....;)

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I would call and ask. I think I had to get permission to get in mine - I can't recall! But I was the only "civilian" - it was mostly firefighters, sheriff deputies, NICU nurses, a NHTSA contractor, and some state troopers. Everyone but me had to be there for work. :p

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
When is your course? I am teaching my first course as an instructor candidate in Ann Arbor Michigan in September, and know most of the instructors in the area. I was the only civilian in a "closed course" when I took it a few years ago.. It is fun cause everyone else is there mostly because they have to be, I knew more then anyone else taking the class, from this board and other boards.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I got into a controlled course to get my CPST. Just email the instructor and ask. Only reason why mine was controlled was b/c it was reserved for a certain number of police and firefighters. I'm sure they'd be willing to let you in :thumbsup:

lynsgirl

I would call and ask. I think I had to get permission to get in mine - I can't recall! But I was the only "civilian" - it was mostly firefighters, sheriff deputies, NICU nurses, a NHTSA contractor, and some state troopers. Everyone but me had to be there for work. :p

:D Yep yep - I was the only one like that in my class, too. I think lots of us here have had that particular experience :p .

Monzogary, I hope you get in! I remember you from PP and holy cow has your youngest gotten older in that suspicious cyber-time warp :D. She's still a cute-as-a-button dolly, though! Crossing fingers for you down in VA . . . :thumbsup:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The couse I am taking is controlled. I email the lead instuctor and he signed me in as soon as he knew how many open seats he would have. It is a controlled course for firefighters.

monzogary

Senior Community Member
When is your course? I am teaching my first course as an instructor candidate in Ann Arbor Michigan in September, and know most of the instructors in the area. I was the only civilian in a "closed course" when I took it a few years ago.. It is fun cause everyone else is there mostly because they have to be, I knew more then anyone else taking the class, from this board and other boards.

The course is Sept. 11, 12, 18, 19, and 22 in Ypsilanti and the lead instructor is Dianne DeGregorio. I requested a spot through the Safe Kids website where I found the course, but I also sent her a private email as well. There is not a course listed on the website in Ann Arbor in Sept - otherwise I probably would have tried for that one instead as it is a little closer to me than Ypsi is. Aren't all courses listed? :confused:

monzogary

Senior Community Member
monzogary- Is that a foofy wizard?!?!?!?!?!?! :love:
Why yes it is! The seat orginally had a blue and black cover, then I swapped with Jennifer who runs the Cpsafety website for the denim and I bought the Foofy headwing pad to go with it. I also have a boring old Funky Denim on her other one lol. My 6 yo wants a Madison Regent really bad though, so she would be jealous of your dd's! She still has just a little room in her MA, and I haven't gotten up the courage to order the Regent yet. I would really like to try one in person in my Ody before I commit to buy.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
She still has just a little room in her MA, and I haven't gotten up the courage to order the Regent yet. I would really like to try one in person in my Ody before I commit to buy.

Sweet!! I have a foofy MA and most people are like "what's foofy? i've never heard of foofy" I had no idea they made a foofy wizard head wing!

If it helps, there are several people here who have been able to fit their Regents in Ody's. Wouldn't know though, i'm not a minivan kinda girl ;)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The course is Sept. 11, 12, 18, 19, and 22 in Ypsilanti and the lead instructor is Dianne DeGregorio. I requested a spot through the Safe Kids website where I found the course, but I also sent her a private email as well. There is not a course listed on the website in Ann Arbor in Sept - otherwise I probably would have tried for that one instead as it is a little closer to me than Ypsi is. Aren't all courses listed? :confused:

Small world, I'm the same boat as you and requested a spot in the same class after waiting for nearly a year for one to be scheduled in or near Ann Arbor. I also remember you from iVillage. Hope we both get in and can meet each other at the class. :) I wonder if Dsunny meant the Ypsi course is where she will be teaching?

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Small world, I'm the same boat as you and requested a spot in the same class after waiting for nearly a year for one to be scheduled in or near Ann Arbor. I also remember you from iVillage. Hope we both get in and can meet each other at the class. :) I wonder if Dsunny meant the Ypsi course is where she will be teaching?
:thumbsup: Oh, that would be fun if we both got it the same class! :love: I keep checking my email incessantly to see if I've gotten a reply yet lol. Waiting is not my strong suit.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I am the Instructor Candidate for that Class!!! That is SO COOL!! I love Dianne and the other two instructors are Nancy and Sue. It is going to be great. I am so excited there are people on here that might be in my class!!!!
Woot!!! See you then!! Jen

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Dianne is also a member here at Car-seat.org and met up with all of us that went to Lifesavers. Small world :)

Jeanum

Staff member
Woohoo, looking forward to it and hoping there will be space for us. :D :love:

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Yeah! I got an email today saying that I am on the waiting list and she will let me know when she knows for sure if I am in or not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't fill up too fast - I have been waiting about 5 years to do this!

Jeanum

Staff member
Same here, I'm on the waiting list according to an e-mail I received today. :thumbsup: I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed for both of us, and DH has been reminded to plan on taking the course dates off. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC