The boy in a bunch of seats

glockchick

Help me pick. :)

He'll be 4 on February 10th and weighs 36-38 lbs. This seat has to go FF in the center of a '99 suburban untethered next to a booster, and the flip down seat on the other side has to flip.

Britax RA 50
5dbdf199.jpg

3e236852.jpg

I really want this one so I can use this cover but I'm not sure I can justify it since the others are taller. ;)
2c32189e.jpg

Evenflo Maestro
9e9b1b6c.jpg

48c18c18.jpg

Graco Nautilus - yes, he was acting like he's choking himself
341eb10a.jpg

37177943.jpg

Evenflo something or other. I just tried him in it because I like the print. :)
6d9bd769.jpg

2ff5a7f8.jpg

Complete Air 65 - he was so done by this point
e13264e2.jpg

dd29abb7.jpg

I'm pretty sure he'd have bad head slump in the GN and the Maestro, but I don't know if that's enough to justify getting a convertible when it will only be used ff and there will be no babies to pass it down to. I'd really like a MA classic or RA 50 just so I can use the same cover 2 of my other kids used. Do you think the 50 lb limit is too low for him? I need him harnessed as long as possible because as soon as he's not, someone will have to ride in a lap belt only. :(

ADS

Lenae

Do all of those seats fit in the seat you need them to, width wise? If yes, I'd go with the Nautilus. It will last you the longest of all those seats. If not, I'd go with narrow.

Personally, if it came down to narrow which to me seems to be the Maestro or CA, and budget weren't an issue, I'd go with the CA. Even without using it for RF, it's a nice FF seat, and the Maestro's too close together straps drive me super nuts. Although I suppose the CA straps are only marginally better....

I think the Britax and Evenflo convertible are just not the seat for you.

aeormsby

I'd go with the Nautilus or Maestro.

I'd definitely skip the Britax. My DS just turned 4 last month and weighs slightly less and just always looks squished in his Marathon (and I'm guessing you'd lose harness height installed also).

glockchick

Do all of those seats fit in the seat you need them to, width wise? If yes, I'd go with the Nautilus. It will last you the longest of all those seats. If not, I'd go with narrow.

Personally, if it came down to narrow which to me seems to be the Maestro or CA, and budget weren't an issue, I'd go with the CA. Even without using it for RF, it's a nice FF seat, and the Maestro's too close together straps drive me super nuts. Although I suppose the CA straps are only marginally better....

I think the Britax and Evenflo convertible are just not the seat for you.

I've had everything installed there except the evenflo convertible and the CA ffing. The Nautilus is tight, but it works. Not as tight as the FR 85.

Now if they'd kindly get the Beckett GN back instock on Target's website, I have a 10% coupon and will use my target card and ebates. :D

Mags462

I personally wouldn't buy a convertible, particularly an old style britax, for FF only use.

I'd do the Nauti all the way..... and the install of the Nauti always changes things.... the head slump may be improved upon install, so try it out and see if it works. :D

lpperry

I wouldn't get a convertible for ff only unless you really really want a particular seat and don't mind buying a booster later. Between the two combination seats, I'd pick the Nautilus because I like it better than the Maestro.

If you are fine with getting a dedicated booster later, then it probably doesn't matter what you pick. We have the Evenflo Triumph Advance (I think that is similar to the Evenflo that you tried) and my 7 year old still fits ff. She fits in the Myride too which is short.

babyherder

Your girls had Nautis for a while and you didn't like them, right? I remember several threads about headslump and you wanting something else. It seemed like you were constantly trying to get rid of them. So I would go with the Nauti because it does so well untethered and will keep your kiddo harnessed for a long time but maybe its not right for you. If I'm remembering someone else or a different situation, I apologize.

glockchick

Nope. You're right. That was me. Ex took the one I had when he left and I kept the FR 85. Of course, now he's selling it and putting all the kids in boosters...... :rolleyes:

I liked everything about the Nauti except for the head slump. But I'm thinking that since I only have the kids half the time now, and we don't do near as much traveling (we were always going back and forth to ex's parents every weekend) so he won't be sleeping much, maybe it will be ok?

I'm going to try the FR 85 again now that DD has decided she likes the TB better. Or I may move her to the 3rd row and move DS (10) next to CJ's seat. I think due to the belt configuration, DS may fit without his booster in that spot.

hrice

The Maestro manual recommends to use the seat as a booster if there isn't a tether anchor available. That makes me VERY leery of using the Maestro untethered.

I would go with the GN because of its longevity and that it does well untethered.

glockchick

The Maestro manual recommends to use the seat as a booster if there isn't a tether anchor available. That makes me VERY leery of using the Maestro untethered.

I would go with the GN because of its longevity and that it does well untethered.

That I did not know! I agree with you. That makes me leery as well. Maestro's out then.

Come on Target, get Beckett back in stock already! My local store only had the pink one and I can get a much better deal if I order online anyway.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I love my Beckett Nautilus. I use it untethered in a lap belt position 50% of the time and I love it. Easy, tight installation and no head slump issues here. I'd definitely do that or the Maestro.

ETA: Sketchy. Never mind on the Maestro. Thanks for the info Heather.

glockchick

The radian won't install well in that position. I had it in for a bit but now that the seat has compressed some it won't stay tight. :(

glockchick

Well, I don't have to wait for it to be in stock now. I'm buying DD's nauti back from ex and his wife which actually works out pretty well because I prefer the old buckle style to the new.

Now I just need to find a Beckett cover. It's currently dressed in Daisy and DS won't be thrilled to ride in a girl seat. Lol
I looked on gracobaby.com but the cover is out of stock there too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC