Are there any good baby carriers for not a lot of money?

turtlemama

I want to be able to carry DS3 while DS2 rides in the cart when we do grocery shopping. DS2 is always a pain when he's not in the cart, and there isn't room to put him in the basket part (plus I get paranoid about that since he could just fall out) and he likes to run off, which leads to me putting the backpack leash on him, or time outs in the store (and those take up time that I don't have a lot of when I'm shopping.) I figure, if I carry DS3 in a carrier, I could just put DS2 in the seat part of the cart and it would be easier.

I see that good carriers cost over $60 :/
Are there any that are cheaper? I'd like to be able to do a hip carry, and it needs to go up to at least 35lbs.

Also, I wish there were more of those 2 seater carts that were actually in working order. They make things so much easier.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You can hip carry with a ring sling, if you can find one of those cheap.

There's also the Hip Hammock. I never used one, but it seems like that might work for your situation?

MommyShannon

I do hip carries with a sling but much preferred my Ergo for grocery shopping since it completely freed up both hands. I had DS in the cart and dd2 in the ergo. As she got bigger I did the back carry, younger she was in front. Hip carry still made it too easy for her to grab things. In the ergo she napped most of the time.they are expensive but watch babysteals.com and you might catch them.

Spam

I have the infantino knockoffs, the wrapntie and balance. They're alright imo. I don't wear them for really long periods or everyday, but for shopping and walks they work for me. I want a ergo or beco but just can't justify the cost when I know I won't use it everyday.

turtlemama

I have the infantino knockoffs, the wrapntie and balance. They're alright imo. I don't wear them for really long periods or everyday, but for shopping and walks they work for me. I want a ergo or beco but just can't justify the cost when I know I won't use it everyday.

Are they like this one? I was thinking of getting this.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Union-Ergonomic-Carrier-Gray/dp/B004FMAMNY"]http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Union-Ergonomic-Carrier-Gray/dp/B004FMAMNY[/ame]

I've been looking for the past couple of days and see great reviews for Boba, Ergo and Beco. I just can't really justify the price for those :/
Even on CL they are expensive.

turtlemama

I joined TBW. :)
That Kozy carrier is cute, but too much pink for DS. Are those carriers reversible? I'm thinking I might just get the Infantino, and then go to a babywearing meeting that I found on TBW and try out the other carriers. Then I can get a better one later on when we have more money.

Spam

Are they like this one? I was thinking of getting this.
http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Union-Ergonomic-Carrier-Gray/dp/B004FMAMNY

I've been looking for the past couple of days and see great reviews for Boba, Ergo and Beco. I just can't really justify the price for those :/
Even on CL they are expensive.

Yep, that's one of them. I got it off ebay for $15. I find it comfortable for the amount of time I've worn it. I usually wear E and push T&A in a bjcmd. I know the other carriers are probably nicer, but I just don't see myself using it frequently enough to justify.

lovemybabybug

I have an infantino wrap and tie and would take that over the Ergo any day. The ergo was so damn uncomfortable to me (except for hop carry). The infantino crosses on the back which I love and I can wear my 2 yo in it just fine.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My favourite carrier of all time was my Maya Pouch. I think I paid $15 for it, used... And I started babywearing when Nojo ring slings and Snuglis were the only options out there :)

-N.

turtlemama

Bumping this.
I now have an Infantino Balance and a Nana's Jetpak.
Both hurt my shoulders and no amount of adjusting has seemed to help.
I also joined a local babywearing group and tried on the Ergo, Beco Butterfly II, Boba 3g, and a peacesling.
Except for the Beco, they all hurt my shoulders and neck.
Is there anything I can do to make it not hurt so much?
I can't afford a Beco.

thepote

What about a lightweight frame carrier? Something like this.

I find they transfer the weight to the hips better because of the frame. I've seen them at kids' consignment stores for under $20.

wrenb

turtlemama said:
Bumping this.
I now have an Infantino Balance and a Nana's Jetpak.
Both hurt my shoulders and no amount of adjusting has seemed to help.
I also joined a local babywearing group and tried on the Ergo, Beco Butterfly II, Boba 3g, and a peacesling.
Except for the Beco, they all hurt my shoulders and neck.
Is there anything I can do to make it not hurt so much?
I can't afford a Beco.

I would suggest a long wrap tied in a double hammock carry. While double hammock does have shoulder straps the heavy lifting is done by the torso wrap. You can make a wrap from 5 yards of crinkle cotton folded in half lengthwise, or from a tablecloth, so it doesn't need to cost a ton of money. Do a search on TBW for DIY wraps and double hammock -- you will get lots of help!

LuvBug

How much can you afford? I see used becos for sale on forums all the time.

Nevermind I see in your OP you want it to be less than $60.

If you belong to thebabywearer.com then you may still luck out with a used one there.

I'd also suggest considering an actual Mei Tai, as those are usually more comfortable that snap on carriers. Really, it is my opinion that snap on carriers are the most uncomfortable of all the carriers out there, but they are the easiest to use. So it is a trade off.

I personally have a number of old injuries that make babywearing difficult, so I have had to invest a lot of time into finding what works. In the end a good wrap sling is what works best for me. I can wear him for hours and it not kill my shoulder or back.

Oh also, there are type of carriers that are torso dependent only, they do not require straps over the shoulders at all. TBW could tell you much more about them, but there are a few many options.

njkj

There is also the Action Baby Carrier which run around $60 new. I had one and while I didn't sparkle heart love it, it was still a decent carrier for the price. I am very narrowed shouldered which is why I didn't sparkly heart it. It was great for front carries for me but not back carries. So if you are wide shoulder it might be one for you to check out.

http://www.actionbabycarriers.com/

YinzerMama

If you can find a used ergo, snag it.

I love a baby bjorn when they are small - I don't believe any of the hip dysplasia stuff - none of my kids are any the worse for the wear, being bjorned. But it is limited. Ergo IME is nice until 2 months, then from 7-8 months on - bjorn is nice for that akward in between stage.

I have used and hated: maya wrap, hot sling, jelly bean sling, kozy carrier, beco butterfly, moby wrap. I used a beco 4th gen for a while and liked it UNTIL I tried the Ergo and the Ergo is leaps and bounds better.

I have had a kelty frame carrier and a Deuter II kid comfort carrier and the Deuter blows the Kelty out of the water, although the kelty works better with a small (under 12-15 months) child. They're not the best for indoor sort of things though.

Kelty is decent, just not great. Until I tried the Deuter I was fine with it but Deuter is so much better.

If you pay full price for an Ergo, you should make back 60-80 on it.

If you find one used, you should make back 100%.

I have the original and the sport and they are both nice. They used to come up on Baby Steals fairly often - I got my sport on there for like $50. I got my original used for $60. I LOVE the ergo.

Do you sew? You can make a mei tei.

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/asian.html

It's very similar in ways to an Ergo... I just find all the strappiness to be annoying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC