Mazda 5 or Ford Flex?

MonkeysMom615

Aaaaand Go! :)

Details: We currently have 2 kiddos (3 1/2 years and 5 months) both RFing (RNXT and CCO). I also have in my arsenal a SN22 and 2 TF's. DS1 is now 32 pounds (must update siggy!) so we're getting close to the RF weight there on the TF. We'll be saving up for this new vehicle so by the time we get it there is a good chance DS will be FFing (sad!). There is definitely one more kiddo in our future (I say in 4 years, DH says sooner, HA! He's funny!) with the possibility of one more after that some time (so total of 3 possibly 4 kids). If we get it here it needs to accommodate our 2 RFers and 2 adult visitors (in addition to DH and myself). So 6 people total including driver. I also was gifted a Phil&Ted's Dash stroller that I tote around so that has to fit in whatever "trunk" area there is (safely of course). I'll miss having a real trunk when we get rid of the sedan that's for sure.

I despise minivans and don't feel like I'm ever in control of them (the few times I've driven them). :) So a minivan for ME is out (DH may eventually get one for him to drive but that's on him). :)

Wow this got longer than I had anticipated! Guess that's what happens with the baby actually naps! Teehee. :D

ADS

Melanie

They are such different vehicles. The Flex is a lot bigger. Good for people room and cargo room, but not as good for tight parking spots and not as good mpg as the mazda. If hauling the grandparents and a stroller at the same time is important to you, definately get the Flex. While I'm sure the Mazda could hold 4 kids, you'd have no cargo room.

I love my Flex. It does exactly what I need it to. But I wasn't even considering the Mazda 5 after 1 look because of the size. The Flex is more inline with the size of a Honda Pilot or Mazda 9. I also don't drive a lot so the gas mileage isn't an issue for me.

I personally look at the Mazda 5 as a nice roomy 4 passenger vehicle with the option of occasionally hauling additional passengers. It's really good for it's nitch, it just doesn't sound like you fit that nitch.

chay

Flex - it is way bigger.

I absolutely love my Mazda 5 and I have 6 people in it quite often but for 6 people and any sort of luggage it isn't going to cut it.

teekadog

I don't know anything about the Ford Flex but I think you want something bigger than a Mazda5. It's been two kids since I could last I fit my P&T stroller in my Mazda5.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
So 6 people total including driver. I also was gifted a Phil&Ted's Dash stroller that I tote around so that has to fit in whatever "trunk" area there is (safely of course). I'll miss having a real trunk when we get rid of the sedan that's for sure.

This might exclude the Mazda5 I think, depending how tall the extra adults are. Having 2 extra adult passengers limits them to the second row in my opinion. So, you'd have to be good with two carseats in the third row, if they fit. Fortunately, with adults in the second row, you can move the seats forward a bit if they don't need all the legroom.

I despise minivans and don't feel like I'm ever in control of them (the few times I've driven them). :) So a minivan for ME is out (DH may eventually get one for him to drive but that's on him). :)

A Ford Flex is not going to have handling any better than a minivan, probably not even as good as the better minivans, mostly due to higher center of gravity. You just aren't going to find a midsize or larger non-luxury SUV that has better handling than one of the top minivans. On the flipside, the Mazda5 is definitely one of the best models among 3-row vehicles in terms of good handling.

Both vehicles are nice overall, it just comes down to what you really require. For example, if fuel economy is important, the Mazda5 is near the top of the pack for 3-row vehicles, while the Flex is pretty typical for midsize SUVs and somewhat less than most minivans.

MonkeysMom615

I was worried the Flex would have the same kind of handling a minivan would. Frustrating. I wish my sedan could magically fit all these requirements. :)

Thanks for all the input so far!

I'm on my phone. You know the "typo" spiel.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sadly, there's really not much you can do when a vehicle is about the same size and weight as a minivan and rides even higher off the ground.

If cost and fuel economy are no object, maybe something like an Acura MDX is worth a test drive?

MonkeysMom615

CPSDarren said:
Sadly, there's really not much you can do when a vehicle is about the same size and weight as a minivan and rides even higher off the ground.

If cost and fuel economy are no object, maybe something like an Acura MDX is worth a test drive?

Thanks for the new option. :) We'll look into it but with a higher price tag it'll probably be a no-go.

Maybe we should just stop at 2 kids. Hahaha! :) That'll fix the problem. :)

macmomma

Ha ve you looked at the new style Ford Explorer? They are big too but not huge! the third row holds 2 people and the second row 3 people unless you get captain chairs.
I love my Explorer- sometimes when I go grocery shopping or such I lay the back seats all the way down and then have a huge cargo area:)

JasonDallas

A Ford Flex is not going to have handling any better than a minivan, probably not even as good as the better minivans, mostly due to higher center of gravity.

You must be mistaking the Ford Flex for the high-riding Ford Edge or the Explorer. The Ford Flex has a lower center of gravity than any full size minivan out there. Heck, the second row step in is even lower than the 2011 Oddy and the floor is even lower than that... unlike all the minivans with a flat floor. The Flex is a wagon basically.

As for the very subjective "handling", in my opinion the Mazda 9 and Flex solidly beat all the minivans (haven't tried the just-revised Chrysler twins that apparently have been updated to be more sporty suspension-wise). If you want light steering that reminds you of an Accord, you should go for the Oddy but if you want a vehicle that can confidently pull off an emergency lane change at highway speeds you'd want a Flex. That being said, all of these 118/119" wheelbase 3 row crossovers/minivans will never truly handle like a short wheelbase car can.

I agree with some others that the Mazda 5 and Flex aren't even in the same category though. The Flex is very comparable to the Mazda 9, which is more driver-oriented while the Flex tends to be more passenger oriented. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs and I beg my wife to drive so I can sit in the 3rd row of the Flex. In the Mazda 5 I don't even fit in the 3rd row unless I fold down the 2nd row, even with the 2nd row all the way forward. Beyond size, the Flex is far more luxurious than the 5. I'm not bashing the 5 though, it fills a niche that nobody else does and more choices are great.

If you look at a Flex and decide not to based on price, go through all the motions with the dealer (including trade-in offer) as the vehicles tend to sell more like their trucks and full-size SUVs which means well under sticker.

Jason

Dorothy

JasonDallas said:
... The Flex is very comparable to the Mazda 9, which is more driver-oriented while the Flex tends to be more passenger oriented. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs and I beg my wife to drive so I can sit in the 3rd row of the Flex. In the Mazda 5 I don't even fit in the 3rd row unless I fold down the 2nd row, even with the 2nd row all the way forward. ...

Jason

Very helpful information! :) Finding a mid-size SUV or a CUV with a third row to comfortably fit large adults seems a bit tricky. Are there any others in which you'd be comfortable in the third row?

Sent from my phone using the app :)

MonkeysMom615

JasonDallas said:
You must be mistaking the Ford Flex for the high-riding Ford Edge or the Explorer. The Ford Flex has a lower center of gravity than any full size minivan out there. Heck, the second row step in is even lower than the 2011 Oddy and the floor is even lower than that... unlike all the minivans with a flat floor. The Flex is a wagon basically.

As for the very subjective "handling", in my opinion the Mazda 9 and Flex solidly beat all the minivans (haven't tried the just-revised Chrysler twins that apparently have been updated to be more sporty suspension-wise). If you want light steering that reminds you of an Accord, you should go for the Oddy but if you want a vehicle that can confidently pull off an emergency lane change at highway speeds you'd want a Flex. That being said, all of these 118/119" wheelbase 3 row crossovers/minivans will never truly handle like a short wheelbase car can.

I agree with some others that the Mazda 5 and Flex aren't even in the same category though. The Flex is very comparable to the Mazda 9, which is more driver-oriented while the Flex tends to be more passenger oriented. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs and I beg my wife to drive so I can sit in the 3rd row of the Flex. In the Mazda 5 I don't even fit in the 3rd row unless I fold down the 2nd row, even with the 2nd row all the way forward. Beyond size, the Flex is far more luxurious than the 5. I'm not bashing the 5 though, it fills a niche that nobody else does and more choices are great.

If you look at a Flex and decide not to based on price, go through all the motions with the dealer (including trade-in offer) as the vehicles tend to sell more like their trucks and full-size SUVs which means well under sticker.

Jason

Awesome info! Thank you Jason!

bubbaray

The Flex is definitely LOWER than the Ody. The length is about the same, but it is definitely NOT higher off the ground than an Ody.

IMO, the Flex handles similarly to the 2005-2010 Ody, maybe a bit better. It felt more powerful in terms of HP too. It definitely did NOT handle like an SUV. I thought it handled like I imagined a station wagon would handle like -- not like a car, not like a van, not like an SUV. Like, well, a Flex.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's been a couple years since I've driven a Flex, maybe it was the trim level or tires or different suspension option or something. I'll try to request one to review this spring. We're still waiting to get an Explorer, so it could be a while. In any case, this is a great reason to ask for an extended test drive. What one person thinks is great handling may be poor handling to another person. The only way to know for sure is to drive it for longer than a typical 15 minute test before buying!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC