Question What is up with the new Britax wings, the True Side Impact Protection wings?

We were looking at Britax Advocate CS 70 and Britax Boulevard CS 70 yesterday and while looking, DH accidentally broke one of the wings. I was watching and he barely moved it at all and it cracked. Lifting the fabric a bit, you could see a huge crack in the styrofoam. We looked at another Boulevard next to it and sure enough, it had two broken wings already.

I really wanted one of those seats, it was my top choice, but after seeing how easily the wings can break, we are terrified to try one. I feel like if we are putting our 14 month old into the seat when it's rearfacing, it would be easy for us or a squirming toddler to accidentally press on a wing in a bad way and for it to break.

Surely, if it's broken, it's not protective, right?

Are we just way too rough? Or is this a common complaint with these two seats?

p.s. I tried some searches, both here and on the internet and could not find any complaints about this particular problem.

Thanks!

ADS

Stelvis

I think broken foam can happen regardless of the seat. Nif it happens, you can tape it up and still use it while Britax sends you a replacement.

cpsaddict

The styrofoam will sometimes crack or break and taping is fine until a replacement is obtained from Britax. They could be breaking simply because they are floor models and have been handled roughly. Also, when you are using the seat, you won't be yanking the headrests around. I have two Britax seats(although neither with wings, but both with the foam) and we have never broken a piece of foam. I would also skip the Advocate all together because the side pillows won't do much of anything for the kid in the seat.

Oliver79

We have a Boulevard 65 and a New Generation Boulevard. My son pulls on the headwings occasionally despite being told not to. Our 65 styrofoam broke but only after 3.5 years. I called Britax to check into purchasing another piece of foam, and they sent me new foam for free even though we were out of warranty. You do have to be cautious in taking the covers off, but its not a big deal. The headwings haven't been an issue for us at all other than that.

I can't say I'm surprised the floor models are broken. They are probably treated pretty roughly like PP said.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That's why I got a MA70. I was worried about breaking the styrofoam like I almost did with my CCO.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC