HELP please fast! Ford Edge on trial and forward facing seat in middle

allison0409

I've been researching this like crazy for 24 hours, and it appears that I cannot get my Britax Boulevard to install safely forward facing in the 2012 Ford Edge in the rear center spot due to the headrest being integrated into the console and it does not allow the seat to sit flush with the back of the seat which I know is not a perfect install. I did take the seat with me, to check my view, room, etc, but did not install it there. If there is anyone who can help me figure this out before tomorrow Monday Jan. 9th, I would so appreciate it! If I cannot get a safe install in the center, I am not buying it. Period. Thank you!

Also, is there any other seat that would work instead of the huge Britax? My son is almost 3, 29 pounds, and 36 inches tall.

ADS

jjordan

The child restraint doesn't have to be flush with the vehicle seat. The main thing to check is that you can get a good installation with the base of the child restraint in full contact with the vehicle seat (except that some restraints allow a bit of overhang off the front of the vehicle seat).

With your son's age and weight, most on this board would have the child rear facing still, as it is safer and he is within the rear facing height/weight limits of many convertible seats. (I can't tell from your post if you plan to use the seat rear facing at first and were just check the forward facing installation for later, or if you want your son forward facing now.) If you are using a seat forward facing only, then we would generally recommend a combination seat (harnessed seat that is later used as a booster) rather than a convertible seat (one that can be used both forward and rear facing).

allison0409

Thank you so much for your quick response. For some reason I though the rear of the carseat had to be flush with the actual back if the seat it's in. I looked at a friends combo seat ( a nautilus I believe) and it is taller than mine, so not sure it would work. The middle headrest Tilts way forward, hence not allowing a flush fit against the seat back. Going to try some other car seats today, but worried since I thought Britax is the "safest"?

Pixels

Britax isn't the safest, especially if you can't install it correctly. A seat that is properly installed is safer than any seat that is not properly installed, no matter the brand.

Britax used to be leaders in innovation, with higher weight limits, which allowed parents to keep their children rear facing longer or harnessed longer, which can translate to increased safety. Over the last several years they have fallen behind and their convertibles are now middle of the pack in those terms. There are many other seats with higher weight and height limits, that will fit children longer.

jess71903

Ambassador
The Nautilus is taller, but also sits lower on the vehicle seat. It's also shaped much differently and may be a great fit in that position. Are there other children that necessitate this seat being in the center, or is that just your preference? A good outboard install is better than a mediocre center install any day of the week. The center is statistically safer, but not by such a margin that it would trump all else when car or car seat shopping.

allison0409

I agree that a side position is better than a center that isn't perfect, but in my case I will just return the car and look for something more accommodating. It was a great deal and I love the car, but the main reason I liked it was width of the backseat and that 2 adults could fit on each side of the carseat in center. So if he can't be in the center I guess I'll keep looking...

jess71903

Ambassador
I agree that a side position is better than a center that isn't perfect, but in my case I will just return the car and look for something more accommodating. It was a great deal and I love the car, but the main reason I liked it was width of the backseat and that 2 adults could fit on each side of the carseat in center. So if he can't be in the center I guess I'll keep looking...

Ah, I see. Can you find someone with a Nautilus or Frontier, or take the car to BRU to try seats before you return it? I hate for someone to pass up a good deal on a car if it's just 1 seat that's not great for it. I really think the shape of those seats will be more accommodating than it would for a Marathon.

allison0409

Thanks, but since looking on here for the past hour or so, it sounds like you just cannot make a carseat work ff in the center of an Edge :-(

Going to look at the Traverse and Pilot tomorrow I think

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC