Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician CrunchyMaineMama's Avatar

Skip Hop Bags--which one to get?

I want to snag one of the Skip Hop bags from Gilt, but I don't know if I should get the Dash or Duo. I currently am using a JJB BeAll and really like it, but it's just a little too bulky for me. I am a notorious over-packer though so I don't want to go much smaller.
    What I normally carry is:
    My wallet (wristlet sized) & cell phone
    2-3 cloth diapers for DS and a few cloth wipes w/ spray
    Wet bag
    Change of clothes for DS (onesie & pants)
    Snacks for DD-a granola bar, fruit pouch and snack trap-sized cup of something
    Sigg Kids water bottle
    Toys for DS (Sophie giraffe, a teether & rattle usually)
    Hand sanitizer spray and wipes
    Small receiving blanket
    a couple burp clothes

And right now we are in hat/mitten season so those usually get stuffed into the bag when we're inside someplace.

Yes, I know I have a problem! I have tried packing less, but just can't do it.
    Rachel-CPST & Mom to 4 Now!
    J-7 Recaro Performance/Nauti, A-4.5 Frontier 85/Nauti, O-3.5 RFing Size4Me/RXT and M-3.5, RFing Size4Me/RXT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Skip Hop Bags--which one to get?

The Dash. I don't think that will all fit in the Duo and the Duo doesn't stand up on its own. If I could only have one SH bag, it would be the Dash.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

4. Thank You from:

I got the Duo and am going to see how I like it. I tend to pack about as much as you. We have an eagle creek backpack one, but there's no pockets in it and I remember it being too big with DS, so I'm hoping the Duo will work for what I want to fit in there. Of course, we won't have formula packed in there this time and it's baby #2, so I probably won't overpack as much as I did with DS. Plus DS will be almost 7 when the baby is born so I don't have to pack anything 'extra' for him in there. Sorry, I know I'm not much help, but that's what I decided on.
    Mommy to L - 11.5 yrs, 160 lbs, 4'9" riding in seat belt
    F - 4.5 yrs, 33 lbs, 39" riding rear facing in a Graco extend2fit and Graco milestome
    A - 3 yrs, 32 lbs, 37" riding rear facing in a Graco extend2fit and Graco milestone

I just ordered the Dash I was leaning toward that one. I hope it works out. I might still get a Duo too since a mama in one of my mom's groups is selling one for $30
    J-7 Recaro Performance/Nauti, A-4.5 Frontier 85/Nauti, O-3.5 RFing Size4Me/RXT and M-3.5, RFing Size4Me/RXT

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    The Dash. I don't think that will all fit in the Duo and the Duo doesn't stand up on its own. If I could only have one SH bag, it would be the Dash.
    What do you mean it doesn't stand up? I suppose it is a bit more top heavy than the dash because it's taller (and a bit bigger overall) so depending on the way it's packed, it could fall over. But generally, it is sitting next to something anyway, like a chair leg, and I find it stands up fairly well. I've been very happy with my Duo and appreciate not having that flap getting in my way to get to things quickly. i think it's probably a personal preference though. They look more similar than different to me.

Moderator - CPST Instructor mom2acrew's Avatar
    I've had both the Dash was great when he was younger but the Duo is my all time fav because I'm lazy and hated the flap
    Jodi CPST Mom to 5

I have the Skip Hop Via Messenger in green and LOVE it!!
    Retired Nanny

Hopefully I'll like the Dash. I don't mind the flap on the BeAll so it shouldn't be a problem on this either. I had a BFF that I sold because I didn't like how tall it was and I'm afraid I wouldn't like that about the Duo too. Estimated delivery for the Dash isn't until Friday! It's a good thing it was a good deal. I hate waiting! I've been spoiled with my Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    What do you mean it doesn't stand up? I suppose it is a bit more top heavy than the dash because it's taller (and a bit bigger overall) so depending on the way it's packed, it could fall over. But generally, it is sitting next to something anyway, like a chair leg, and I find it stands up fairly well. I've been very happy with my Duo and appreciate not having that flap getting in my way to get to things quickly. i think it's probably a personal preference though. They look more similar than different to me.
    Its a vertical bag, if you set it down on the floor, it will fall over unless it is propped up against something.

I owned 2 Dashes and 1 Duo. I liked them for different things. I used the Duo more as a stroller organizer bag. They pack quite differently IME.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Its a vertical bag, if you set it down on the floor, it will fall over unless it is propped up against something.

I owned 2 Dashes and 1 Duo. I liked them for different things. I used the Duo more as a stroller organizer bag. They pack quite differently IME.
    I find mine will usually stand on it's own, but that may be in how I pack it. And it may be that the dash stands better.

I do use it on my stroller a lot, so maybe that's why it works well for me. I snap it on the stroller, go somewhere, snap it off to carry/use as a bag while there (loving the long strap that fits diagonally across my body for easy carry), then snap back on the stroller when we're leaving to go to the next place ... But the dash probably has the same stroller clips. Love those.

I hope OP enjoys her new bag!

I think its probably too late, but I like the Dash better than the Duo. I found the Duo to be too deep and I had to unpack a layer to get to what I needed.

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

14. Thank You from: