New Chevy Blazer Center Installs

Mama2J

I posted this on the Car Safety board, but it doesn't seem to be very busy over there. Is it ok to post here about cars? If not, please let me know!

I didn't think I'd be saying this for quite a while, but I think I will be looking for a new vehicle soon. I love my Malibu and it is easy to install seats in, but there is no room for grocery/shopping bags. They end up piled around my son, on both sides of the seat and on the floor. This also makes it hard for him to get in and out of the car between stores and when we get home. The trunk already has stuff in it, so there is no room for bags there either.

Anyway, I want to get an SUV. I don't need extra seating (third row), but I want something bigger than what I have, and with room in the back for stuff. I like my husband's Blazer, however it doesn't allow a carseat to be installed in the center position. While I'm ok with this for the infrequent trips he is in my husband's car, I would rather him be in the center on a daily basis with me.

So, does anyone have a newer Blazer (Trailblazer? Is this the same thing?)? Do they allow center installs with LATCH or seatbelt? I have a Regent. Would I be able to get 2 or 3 seats side by side with the Regent if transporting friends?

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
According to the LATCH manual, a center seatbelt installation is allowed in the '01 and newer Blazer and Trailblazer models if you can get a good installation, even though the owner's manual says not to in models before the '03 or mid '03 model year. These positions have been tested with child restraints. Some child restraints will not fit well as the space between the center seatbelt anchors is somewhat narrow.

I don't know first or second hand what seats install well in the center, nor if it's possible to fit three carseats across with a Regent in the mix. It's probably worth experimenting with your Regent and other seats you have available when you're vehicle shopping/test driving.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'd thought it was only the pre-2001 S-10 Blazer with the issue, but here's what the 2007 LATCH manuals says about the 2002-2007 Trailblazer (italics are mine).
[Tether Anchors] are trainagular cargo tiedowns nearest to the seat, not the ones at the liftgate.

Center rear: Owner's manual states not to put a [Child Restraint] in center position in [Model Year] 2001-2003. CR can be installed in the center if it can be tightly installed, even though the owner's manual says not to. These positions have been tested with CRs. Some CRs will not fit well as the distance between the seat belts is somewhat narrow. The later MY-2003 manual wasw updated. All models can have a CR in center if good installation is obtained.
Keep in mind that a couple reps at Chevy told me to continue following the manual that came with the vehicle.... Maybe there's some bulletin/update announcement that I've missed & that the reps are clueless about :confused: I would contact Chevy to find out about a factory or dealer installed barrier/gate. Not sure if you could use the TAs with one? Pressure mounted items are generally not recommended.

Jeanum

Staff member
P.S. Jools confirmed with a GM engineer that center seatbelt installs were allowed in the Blazer/Trailblazer. :thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, LATCH manual readers...doesn't GM say you can use the LATCH in the middle if the carseat maker approves? And Britax approves 11-20 inches distance, right? so it should probably LATCH-friendly in the middle?

But I seriously doubt anything else will fit on either side of it, and have you considered the high rollover danger in those cars? www.informedforlife.org

:twocents:

Jeanum

Staff member
D'oh, you're right, Julie, about GM and center LATCH. I should've remembered that was the case from looking up a an Aztec a while ago.

Mama2J

Thanks! I should clarify my husband's Blazer is a 2002 and it doesn't have LATCH. The manual had said not to install a seat at all in the center, but I wasn't aware of the LATCH manual saying it may be ok. Right now, he has a Cosco harness booster in there on the passenger side. Since I would need to fit a Regent in the new one, it looks like I will have to try it out when I go to the dealer to make sure it fits in the center.

I was not aware of the rollover or door-opening danger! According to that link, there is an above-average risk. The other Chevy SUV's, Equinox, Tahoe, and Suburban, have a medium risk. Maybe I should look at one of those. Or are all the Chevy's not very safe? I will be trading my car in at the Chevy dealer, so that is what I figured I would get.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Pretty much any SUV is going to have a higher roll over risk than sedans or even (newer) minivans.

Mama2J

That's not good! Well now I'm rethinking wanting to get a Trailblazer anyway. Could you all give me some suggestions for something a bit safer?

- Price: mid-thirties or less
- Enough room for a Regent in the center
- Room in the back for stuff
- Preferably a Chevy so I can use my car as a trade-in, but please give other recommendations if they are better

Thanks for any help!

sirrahn

- Preferably a Chevy so I can use my car as a trade-in, but please give other recommendations if they are better

Thanks for any help!

Just FYI, but you can trade your car at any dealer, it doesn't have to be Chevy. You can also sell it to Carmax and then go get what you want. It's better to negotiate the price for your trade outside of the price of what you're buying anyway...otherwise they can try to get funny with the numbers on you.

We traded a Ford and Honda at a Saturn dealer and the Saturn at Toyota. Got fair prices all 3 times.

I'll let others give you suggestions on better SUV's:)

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
That's not good! Well now I'm rethinking wanting to get a Trailblazer anyway. Could you all give me some suggestions for something a bit safer?

- Price: mid-thirties or less
- Enough room for a Regent in the center
- Room in the back for stuff

Thanks for any help!

Uhmm... I'm impala girl so that's what i'm going to say :eek: I can stuff a Regent (mine is always center) and 2 MAs back there and theres enough trunk space to stuff so much stuff in there. We joke around that I can stuff 2 dead bodies back there b/c my trunk is so huge and still have room for groceries.

It has awesome gas mileage, great safety ratings, really good informed for life scores... yadda yadda yadda.

Mama2J

Just FYI, but you can trade your car at any dealer, it doesn't have to be Chevy. You can also sell it to Carmax and then go get what you want. It's better to negotiate the price for your trade outside of the price of what you're buying anyway...otherwise they can try to get funny with the numbers on you.

Thank you! Actually it did not even occur to me to trade it anywhere else. I suppose the other dealer could just sell my trade to a used car dealer or a Chevy dealer. It's only 3 years old, so hopefully I can get a good price for it.

Mama2J

Uhmm... I'm impala girl so that's what i'm going to say :eek: I can stuff a Regent (mine is always center) and 2 MAs back there and theres enough trunk space to stuff so much stuff in there. We joke around that I can stuff 2 dead bodies back there b/c my trunk is so huge and still have room for groceries.

It has awesome gas mileage, great safety ratings, really good informed for life scores... yadda yadda yadda.

Wow you can put 3 across with a Regent? What year is your car? I know Impalas used to be really big, but I thought the newer ones were smaller. I have stuff that stays in my trunk (in the Malibu) like emergency items, beach bag, blanket, etc. so there is no room left for shopping bags or groceries, and they end up on the back seat and on the floor.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Yep. I took a pic for someone else on the board. Here's a TB, Regent, and MA. You can fit another MA (they fit FF and RFing), I just didn't have another to take a pic with b/c i just sold my other MAs... Mine is a 2001 but I believe the new body style and the old body style have the same back seat measurements.

STA70592.jpg

sirrahn

I suppose the other dealer could just sell my trade to a used car dealer or a Chevy dealer. It's only 3 years old, so hopefully I can get a good price for it.

or they might even just sell it on the used car lot there. Usually dealers have different makes and models of used cars especially if they're newer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC