What's the ruling on carrying a seat by the harness or tether?

Brianna

Is there anything official on this, or is it just opinion/ gut feeling? I couldn't find any threads with a quick search.

ADS

mkmama

I know at least one of my manuals (TrueFit maybe?) specifies to not carry it by the top tether...not sure if it has same specification about harness in it.

Radian says not to carry by harness adjuster strap...I dont see anything on quick peruse about harness/top tether.

featherhead

I know at least one of my manuals (TrueFit maybe?) specifies to not carry it by the top tether...not sure if it has same specification about harness in it.

Radian says something in the manual about not carrying by harness or top tether if I remember correctly...

Actually I think the Radian says you should carry it by the tether strap. It is the adjuster strap that you shouldn't carry it by.

amyd

I think it depends on the carseat. My Radian manuals (SKJP XTSL & Diono RXT) both say to carry by the red carry strap, harness or shell and say not to carry by the adjuster strap. Personally I'm not comfortable hauling a seat (especially one that heavy) by the harness.

amyd

featherhead said:
Actually I think the Radian says you should carry it by the tether strap. It is the adjuster strap that you shouldn't carry it by.

I don't know that it specifies tether. I think maybe just harness but it's been awhile since I've read the manual so I may be mistaken on that.

featherhead

I don't know that it specifies tether. I think maybe just harness but it's been awhile since I've read the manual so I may be mistaken on that.

Hmm, maybe it was a different seat, or my older Radian.

Edit: My FrontierXT says not to carry by the harness or the adjuster strap. It says always carry this seat by the shell or tether straps.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm not comfortable carrying a seat by harness or tether. I hold the top and bottom of the seat when carrying them.

Brianna

I'm not comfortable carrying a seat by harness or tether. I hold the top and bottom of the seat when carrying them.

I would do it if the manual expressly gave permission and it was otherwise awkward to carry. I've never tried to do it with any of the seats I have though, I carry the MyRide by the cupholder or other part of the shell and I can just stick the Tribute under my arm.

Lemonade

I generally carry them on both sides on the shell. But my feeling is, if a seat such as the GN can support and restrain a 65 pound child in an accident, that same harness can probably handle supporting the weight of the seat itself while I carry it a short distance. There is no seat out there that weighs more than the weight of the largest child it is approved to restrain. And we all know that the forces in the accident are MUCH greater than the weight of the seat. I just don't see how it could be a problem. The adjustor strap and top tether I would never do. Harness should be fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC