Regent Fastner Broke- Ugh!!!

mom2boys

I am a little later on installing my update kit for my regent. I was trying to take off the old latch fastner according to their instructions, and the piece broke in half. The top half of the faster broke off, with the bottom half still in the plastic seat. I was in tears when I saw it. I have no idea how to get it out now. I called Britax this morning and of course they were no help. I knew it was bad when the lady I got had no idea what update I was trying to do. (Is there more than one update?) I told her the most recent one where you have to take off the old latch straps and install the new longer latch strap and then she put me on hold. So, I am guessing she had to ask someone what I was talking about. Then she came on with a printout and was asking which step I did and what happened. Their answer was to cut the sides off of the fastner and then push the remaining part through the hole as hard as you can so you can push the new fastner in. I know this isn't going to work because I was trying to see if I could cut it close enough to the hole to get the remaining part to go inward and I know that won't happen. I am not an overly strong person, so I don't know how this happend. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions on what I should do? (I am very concerned out this being the thing that is connecting my car seat to the car- it broke very easily for me, I can't imagine in a crash. So, I will be using the seat belt from now on, but I still want to fix the latch straps, or should I just forget it)

ADS

Connor's Mom

So, where they suggesting that you push the broke fastener into the body of the seat or just push it further into the whole? Would that work? I mean is there enough room for the broke fastener AND the new fastener?

Have you tried just installing the seat LBP in the car? I am not even ganna mess with that whole new LATCH strap (Not that I have even got it yet from Britax :thumbsdown:).

Last edited:

mom2boys

I am currently on hold at Britax about this. Thanks for the posting that thread, I thought I would be screwed (well, maybe I still will be) as far as latch goes. I am really hoping they will send me a new seat because the fastner is stuck in there like hers was. I will keep you posted.

mom2boys

I just got off the phone with Britax and they are sending me a new seat. Yeah!:2thumbsup: I have to get the Onyx cover (I currently have the Classic cover), but they are letting me keep my old cover and then I have to mail back the old seat. They are paying for that too. So, I am feeling a ton better now. Thanks everyone for your advice.

supercrunch

Yay!!

So glad I could help :)

(oh...and if you ever decide to part with that spare cover, please let me know. I have been trying to hunt down a boyish cover for our Regent)

Morganthe

Interesting thread. I originally cut the plastic belt loop with utility at the top to slide out the old LATCH belt. I haven't received the new kit, nor do I have lower anchors, so the connectors were annoyingly in my way while I was installing the seat in my car. I couldn't tighten the seat down in LBP with the double strapping. :(

So the clip still looks like
oldlatchstrap002.jpg
, just that it's still in the back of the seat and the belt is removed. I put tape over to secure it in place so it's not whirling around or possibly being felt through the padding & cover pad.
I figure that it's original purpose was just for a guide to make sure the LATCH belt didn't slide out of position. If I put the New one in some day, I am just going to fold the old connection over the belt and tape down the top end that was sliced open. No biggie. :shrug-shoulders:

I was originally just going to pull it out, but it was not going to let loose without ripping the shell or breaking off the plug for the holder. I figured that since it was hollow, the plug would have just fallen down into the seat. Apparently, I had the wrong impression, so I'm glad I just sliced, taped and left it alone. :thumbsup:

Anyway, that's my story about the Regent Fastener :) I really didn't want a new seat anyway. Too many issues with the new rules, so far that I'm sure Britax will be enhancing upon in the near future ;)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks for the preview of what eventually will show up in my mailbox and the resulting project to come. I just got the Regent advisory letters today, no kits yet.

MySillyKids

Hmm, i wonder if they quit mailing out the 'Fix' until they fixed their Figure A, and figure B mishap.

I havent gotten my kit either (not that i'm going to use it)

mom2boys

FYI- I got my kit last Thursday, and I live in Illinois. I have a feeling many people will have the same issue I did.

I think we will keep our extra cover as I was looking to buy one to have a spare. Now, I guess I don't need to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC