Question maybe a dumb question re: CA new law

seamonkeys

If they are NOT 8 yrs or 4'9", but pass the 5-step test, is it still illegal for them to ride without a booster?

DS1 (turns 8 end of Feb) goes home after school with a friend 1x a week and then to Cub Scouts with them. I don't send his booster because he rides in the 3rd row of their Acura MDX and passes the 5 step-test back there (feet touch the ground and belt fits properly). Now that the CA law has been updated, do I need to now send his backless and tell the mom to have him sit in the 2nd row? Or is it ok for him to ride as usual in the back without anything? I'm thinking this is a no-brainer, but I want to be sure before I talk to my friend (the mom).

ADS

skitle1802

Nope he needs a booster until his birthday. Unless he meets one of the exemptions, like no shoulder belt.

That's my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

seamonkeys

Nope he needs a booster until his birthday. Unless he meets one of the exemptions, like no shoulder belt.

That's my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

That's what I figured. Just kind of hoping I was wrong since I feel silly making him lug his seat when he fits fine without it in the back row. :rolleyes: At least he'll be 8 yrs soon and then can go back to the 3rd row.

BTW, I just noticed your name (real one) and recognized it from the PR! :p

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There is an exemption for kids under 8 and under 4'9" as long as the belt fits properly.

The 8/4'9" is really just a formality when you think about it. It's all about proper fit, really.

ETA: Unless that didn't make it into the final law. I had a copy of it, and now I can't find it. :(

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:
I don't remember seeing it in the final law, Jennie. Want me to look it up?

Nope, I found the law and it's not in there! Good thing I actually read it :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ha! Yeah, always good. Summaries and interpretations from official organizations are good too...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
In my defense, I actually HAD read it before. Apparently I just made up some extra parts in my head, too.

seamonkeys

How close is he to 4'9"? Does he NOT fit in the 3rd row WITH a booster?

He's only just over 4'3". I haven't tried with the booster back there. I'm sure he would still fit, he would be just so high. Probably easier just have him sit in the 2nd row. It's not a huge deal, just means he has to lug the seat to class and then to her car. Although then he wouldn't forget he's going home with them! :p

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
seamonkeys said:
He's only just over 4'3". I haven't tried with the booster back there. I'm sure he would still fit, he would be just so high. Probably easier just have him sit in the 2nd row. It's not a huge deal, just means he has to lug the seat to class and then to her car. Although then he wouldn't forget he's going home with them! :p

Get a BubbleBum?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC