RF in Traverse THIRD ROW

ktlasers

Has anyone successfully installed a car seat rear facing in the third row of a Chevy Traverse behind the captains chairs? I have to RF in those locations.

ADS

sjfost

I couldn't even get close with a Classic Marathon when I tried or a Radian65 but I didn't have an angle adjuster.

SignCuer

RN80SL with AA :love: its tempting to get this car but the price doesn't justify it.

CA- my tech decision to have it more upright since that time, Dorel said to the line firmly.. now they r coming out with dual level adjusters so it should be good!

aeormsby

I believe I've had a classic Marathon RF back there - very upright with the 2nd row seat very upright & headrest removed. Same with a Safety First Uptown. For both of those it was a very short term thing - one or two trips when we needed to fit more people in there. Much easier to put the FF seats back there if possible (kind of unfortunately since there's only one tether in the center).

sjfost

I believe I've had a classic Marathon RF back there - very upright with the 2nd row seat very upright & headrest removed. Same with a Safety First Uptown. For both of those it was a very short term thing - one or two trips when we needed to fit more people in there. Much easier to put the FF seats back there if possible (kind of unfortunately since there's only one tether in the center).

If I could have taken the headrest off I think I could have gotten the Marathon in but I needed to sit in the captains chair in front of him.

aeormsby

If I could have taken the headrest off I think I could have gotten the Marathon in but I needed to sit in the captains chair in front of him.

I had another carseat in front so headrest removed wasn't an issue.

It's pretty much a sucky 3rd row for RF'ing.

::er!ca::

Good luck!

My sister has a Traverse (bench in the 2nd row), and I couldn't fit our MR65, a Tribute, or an Scenera in the 3rd row. I also couldn't fit the MR65 forward facing either, she literally had no where to put her legs.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a 2011 Traverse and can not imagine trying to put a rf'ing seat back there. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not something I'd want to attempt. Or have to load regularly.

ktlasers

Thanks all! This is not sounding good. I've only tried the two RF seats we have: Scenera and Evenflo Triumph, both NOT small in that dimension. I can't take off the headrests because we'll be using those seats. The only exception would be if we kept our Nauti in a captain chair and made an adult squeeze between the seats in the third row, but that still doesn't help on the other side. I really wish I'd thought to try the seats before buying the car. We bought a 7 seater that we now can't actually fit 7 people in. :eek:/

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't have time for a thorough reply, but I've had 3 across in a traverse that involved rf'ing seats. The scenera was the easy part, the radian was the hard one. It took acrobatics - literally, but it was scenera, radian, scenera - all rf'ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I don't have time for a thorough reply, but I've had 3 across in a traverse that involved rf'ing seats. The scenera was the easy part, the radian was the hard one. It took acrobatics - literally, but it was scenera, radian, scenera - all rf'ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

In the 3rd row? OP has captains chairs in her 2nd row. I can't imagine getting 3 across in the 3rd row of any seat, let alone rf'ing seats! It is a small 3rd row.

But if the OP has a Nauti, I'd be putting the Nauti in the 3rd row (IF it fits on the seat, which would be questionable) and one of the rf'ers in the 2nd. Or, get another seat. I have put a Radian FF in the 3rd row center and it installs beautifully. I can even squeeze my hiney next to it on the passenger side.

krystin_21a

I have on Outlook, so same back row, with captains chairs in the second row. You can fit a classic marathon rf in the third row.

Fold down the driver side captain chair so that you have room to work, then install. Once you have it right, fold the captain chair back to the usable position and make sure to slide it all the way forward. Not sure where your button would be, but mine is on the side of the chair by the door. The person sitting there won't have much leg room, but it should be sufficient. No need to take off the headrest.

On the passenger side third row I have a frontier 85. With those two seats there is a tiny bit of room where you may be able to put a rf radian, but nothing else. I don't have a headrest in that position so a booster would be out for me. Hope this helps.

ktlasers

I have on Outlook, so same back row, with captains chairs in the second row. You can fit a classic marathon rf in the third row.

Fold down the driver side captain chair so that you have room to work, then install. Once you have it right, fold the captain chair back to the usable position and make sure to slide it all the way forward. Not sure where your button would be, but mine is on the side of the chair by the door. The person sitting there won't have much leg room, but it should be sufficient. No need to take off the headrest.

On the passenger side third row I have a frontier 85. With those two seats there is a tiny bit of room where you may be able to put a rf radian, but nothing else. I don't have a headrest in that position so a booster would be out for me. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the specifics! I blindly registered for a Marathon when several people said it was my best bet. It sounds like it was a good idea!

ktlasers

I was able to easily - but barely - fit the Marathon in the third row RF, but nothing fit next to it, so I can't fit three across, so we still can't haul four adults and three car seats. :eek:(

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I was able to easily - but barely - fit the Marathon in the third row RF, but nothing fit next to it, so I can't fit three across, so we still can't haul four adults and three car seats. :eek:(

Oh there is no way you can fit 3 across the 3rd row. You wouldn't even be able to fit 3 Radians there. 2 harnessed seats is all you'll ever get in that row. I would go with one FF seat in the center, 2 adults outboard (I can fit next to a FF Radian and I am NOT small...the other 2 seats in the center. It's the only way it'll work.

Dorothy

Mind if I jump in?

So, would a Maestro in the center back allow you enough room to sit outboard?

I haven't read the manual fully yet. Are there any special rules about what position the second row seats have to be in with a carseat installed (all the way back, reclined x clicks, etc.)?

Sent from my phone using the app :)

aeormsby

I like our FF Marathons in the center 3rd row. That way an adult can kind of slide behind the outer lip of the seat when sitting outboard giving a little more hip & shoulder room.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I haven't read the manual fully yet. Are there any special rules about what position the second row seats have to be in with a carseat installed (all the way back, reclined x clicks, etc.)?

Sent from my phone using the app :)

Only special rule is that if the head rest interfere with a good install, it says to recline the seat to get a better install. I do find it necessary to recline the seat. It also helps give a nice recline to even an upright seat like the Radian to prevent head slump. Too bad the SK400 still has head slump. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC