Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Tether Anchor for 89 Ford Bronco? Seat Suggestions?

My father drives a Ford Bronco as one of his main vehicles "he has 3" and I need a seat for ds, I'm at work right now but does anyone even know if this is a possible install? I'd think there aren't even any pre-drilled holes for this year or model vehicle. I'm trying to figure out a seat for his vehicle. I'm putting back money and will get a big chunk back from Financial aid from school that I plan to get ds new seats with. I had planned to give gpa ds's regent, but it expires this march.
    What should i do if there are NO pre-drilled holes? I can't completely justify buying a Frontier for his vehicle as little as he's in it, but he won't be in a booster in his vehicle's either.
    Also, any seat suggestions for my 42.5" tall, 16.5" torso and 44-46 or so lb4yr old for Older vehicles? Besides the Frontier..which is still an option, maybe a used one could work? But are there any other seats I might be missing.
    ds1(9/19/07)
    Harnessed in FR85 until 5.5yrs old!
    Now riding in a Britax PWSG!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Tether Anchor for 89 Ford Bronco? Seat Suggestions?

I've done a retrofit in a 94 full size Bronco, but I don't think that old it'll have pre-drilled holes.

Is he booster-able for short trips?
    Emma
    CPST-I & Colorado Mama to 5 year old Sam & 1 year old Grace, riding in a Frontier and a Coccoro.

Quote Originally Posted by emma41256 View Post
    I've done a retrofit in a 94 full size Bronco, but I don't think that old it'll have pre-drilled holes.

Is he booster-able for short trips?
    Just found this..
    http://www.mothering.com/community/t...er-anchors-r7c

"No anchor hardware kit is available for a few older trucks (1989-1990 Bronco II and 1989- 1991 Aerostar, Econoline, and Bronco I) that were designed to use the generic hardware now supplied with most forward facing child seats. For these vehicles, Ford will reimburse Dealers for installation of owner-supplied hardware provided with child seats or the Ford kit (if and when available)."

And yes he is boosterable for short trips, but it isn't something I am interested in unless it turned into a HAD to.
    ds1(9/19/07)

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Hi there, I'm reunited with my LATCH manual this morning to check. The 1985-1990 Bronco models are listed as having 3 drill dimples in the cargo floor. Rather than a Ford tether anchor retrofit part number, the LATCH manual notes to use a generic tether anchor kit obtained from a child restraint manufacturer for all retrofittable locations in the Bronco, and to see the owner's manual for installation instructions. ETA: This seems to jive with the previous post's cited info. as well. The Ford tether anchor retrofit program is Program R7C.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

6. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMom24 View Post
    Just found this..
    http://www.mothering.com/community/t...er-anchors-r7c

"No anchor hardware kit is available for a few older trucks (1989-1990 Bronco II and 1989- 1991 Aerostar, Econoline, and Bronco I) that were designed to use the generic hardware now supplied with most forward facing child seats. For these vehicles, Ford will reimburse Dealers for installation of owner-supplied hardware provided with child seats or the Ford kit (if and when available)."

And yes he is boosterable for short trips, but it isn't something I am interested in unless it turned into a HAD to.

Yeah that's what I thought. You could do an ez-on universal tether? http://www.ezonpro.com/products/accessories.shtml There's a tutorial over in the FAQ articles about how the installation goes.

Otherwise... maybe a True Fit? Purely because it's inexpensive, has high top harness slots and a FF lockoff that you wouldn't have to bugger with a locking clip. Sometimes the crotch buckle isn't super comfortable for older kids though.
    Emma
    CPST-I & Colorado Mama to 5 year old Sam & 1 year old Grace, riding in a Frontier and a Coccoro.

8. Thank You from:

Thanks ladies! I will check into the TF...any other seat recs?
    ds1(9/19/07)

We use our Graco Natalis with seat belts in a 98 durango and a 96?Suburban and a 95 F150

Quote Originally Posted by MaKoski View Post
    We use our Graco Natalis with seat belts in a 98 durango and a 96?Suburban and a 95 F150
    Thanks, he's to squished in a Nautilus.
    I think I'm going to go with a used Regent that will get him some more years with my dad harnessing and a much cheaper price then a Frontier..He's never really with my dad, but my dad needs a seat he can keep for those just in case moments. I would be persuaded towards a Frontier if I could find a good price on one.
    ds1(9/19/07)

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMom24 View Post
    I think I'm going to go with a used Regent that will get him some more years with my dad harnessing

If you use a Regent, you need to figure out a tether arrangement, since Britax requires it for kids over 50 pounds... he's not quite there yet but he's pretty close, I don't think I would be comfortable using a Regent untethered for a 45 pound child.
    Emma

Yes, I am going to figure it out.. Regardless which car seat I decide on I want to get this done.
    ds1(9/19/07)