Getting the itch to revamp all my seats

glockchick

No real good reason other than that I'm bored. ;) Stop me or shove me. :thumbsup:

Let's ponder... ;) Here's what I have.

'99 suburban with 6 kids

DS - 14, front seat
DS - 12, middle row passenger side, no car seat
DS - 10.5, 3rd row driver side in Harmony Cruz backless booster
DD - 7.5, middle row driver side in Clek Oobr
DD - 5.3, 3rd row passenger size harnessed in tethered FR 85
DS - 3.9, middle row center untethered RN XTSL

so it looks like this...

[Driver] [console] [DS - 14, belt]
[DD - 7, Oobr] [DS - 3.9, RN XT] [DS - 12, belt]
[DS - 10, Cruz] [empty] [DD - 5.3 FR 85]

I've found this arrangement this best because it separates the kids that tend to get on each other's nerves. ;)

Now pertinent information. The center seats are lap belt only. The only tether locations are the side seats in the 3rd row. Radians are a b!tch to install in the suburban. It's bad enough that I would never recommend it if you aren't extremely experienced installing seats and even then it's hard. I like to take my seats out about once a month and wash them so this matters.

Abi (7) told me that she likes her TB better than the Oobr but didn't wanna hurt my feelings before by saying so. CJ (almost 4) is wanting to ride in a booster because ex lets him so I'm thinking a color he likes better might help and I'm bored with his Ventura RN. He did asked for cow. Kaleigh (5.3) wants to ride in a booster but is ok being harnessed and I prefer her harnessed. She'd sit ok in a booster.

Which brings me to Gabe (10). He is almost to where the tips of his ears are above his headrest and it won't go any higher. The lap belt fit is still less than stellar on him because he's a skinny guy. If he goes over before the lap belt fits right, which is the lesser of two evils?

I have those seats plus a Girl's Rock TB and a snowberry Oobr.

Here's what I'm thinking. Sell the Oobrs. My kids have short torso's and won't need more than the height on the TB. Abigail will easily make it to 10 in hers.

Keep Kaleigh in the FR85 (wish it wasn't so huge) but switch her Maui Blue cover to Livia cause she really wants pink. Can't think of any other seat that would be better for her unless the new evenflo combo's are just awesome. She fits in the RN on the top setting with about 1" of torso growth left for a size reference.

Maybe get both girl's PW's because I miss my OS parkway so much. :(

CJ - Hmmmm. I could get him a Cow FR85, but it's tricky to put a FR in that center seat and have room for a TB on one side and be able to slide the seat to access the 3rd row on the other. A BLVD would probably fit better won't last as long. He's almost even with the 2nd to top strap setting in his RN.

Play with me. :D What do y'all think? Any other ideas?

Last edited:
ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
LOL, I'm 110% in the same boat. Only, I have a new car which is making my urge spike. ;) LOL I will say this, in my old 2000 burb, the Maestro was only compatible in the 2nd row. I couldn't get it a good install in the 3rd row, at all. Don't know how it would work in the 1999. I'm really hopeful for the new Evenflo Secure Kid as well. I'm really wanting to order one and if it fits my car and my kids, I will be ordering 3 for my car and selling everything as soon as DD turns 3. Well, I'd likely order them before...but won't flip her until she turns 3.

vrclay

Lordy Mercy, I was just thinking about you and your Suburban configuration this past week as I was installing 4 seats in my parents 01 burban (in Conroe, TX!).

I wouldn't wish a carseat change on anyone unless it was necessary.

FWIW - 4 seats all FFing. we did 2 Nautis in the 2nd row without a tether. Not ideal but not a permanent situation. in the 3rd row we did a Britax BLVD and Radian both outboard. Tried an old Britax Frontier in the 2nd row but gave up and took the Nauti out of the other car.

glockchick

Lol! I know what you mean. That's what keeps me from doing it. :) Boosters are much easier to play with though.

luckyclov

I just got the itch, too. Except, out of 3 kids, I can only satisfy that itch with 1 of them since the other 2 only fit in the seats they're in (and neither one wants to swap out for a new pattern). How lame is that?:rolleyes:

Anyways, I just bought a Colbalt RXT for DS2 to replace his Cowmoo MA70.:p

geberika

CPS Technician
I just switched mine up -- I understand the urge, especially when you've got lots of kids and not a lot of room to play. I have five kids in an 01 Windstar with lap-only in the center of both rows. I just switched it to Parkway/RF RNXTSL/Parkway in one row, then FR85SICT and RN 65SL in another. So far everyone hates it, but I think I like it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC