Roundabout 50/55...tell me why not?

Tara

Technically, I don't need a new seat yet. But...I hate the Radians. This weekend I was going to swap seats around and rf the baby in a Radian. I couldn't get a good install. Not with LATCh (which is the only way it will install ff in my van), not with seat belt.

I plan to try again and hubs said he would as well. But, frankly, I don't care. I am so done with that seat! I'd bust them both to pieces today if I had replacements!!

I want a Britax. I miss Britax.

I know there's the MyRide and TrueFit and whatever else out there. I know the MyRide is quite affordable even. I know it's plush and pretty and well thought of in this community.

But I'm a Britax snob. After having Britax for so many years, then getting the Radian and being so fed up with it (them) these last few years, I just have no desire to be out of the Britax bubble again. I wanna go back!

Is the Roundabout really a 'bad' choice, compared to the MyRide? I know what I'm getting into regarding rear facing leg room. BTDT with 3 kids. They all fit fine. I do not have especially large children. All of them have easily been able to rear face until 3yr.

I'm just so tired of install issues and lack of versatility. I have 2 LATCh positions in my vehicle and that is where my Radians *must* go. I would *like* to move seats around as the children grow and personalities develop and children prefer different buddies, etc. But I can't because those seats can *only* go there. And the boosters do better with the inside belts.

And I'm just annoyed.

Just give me permission to be a Britax snob or tell me why the MyRide really, truly, is a better choice.

That's all I need. I don't need to hear about alllll the other options, or to give all the proper stats or whatever else. I'm not a newbie needing the car seat tech monologue.

I'm just a Britax fan who has been burned by going with another brand and is wanting to go back to her comfy spot. I know the MyRide is a good seat, I just don't know if I can choose it over the Roundabout. (I'm comparing to the Roundabout because price is comparable and I'm ok with the 50/55 ff weight limit...again, I don't need the monologue..I'm an expired tech, I know that bit, ok)

Roundabout vs MyRide .... whatcha got for me?

ADS

zactayaus

I personally prefer the RA50 (basically a classic MA without lockoffs or a latch bar, and a lower FF weight limit) to the new RA55. If you thought the old Britax seats didn't have a lot of leg room you have yet to experience the lack of it in the RA55. Believe it or not it's even worse! Also the RA50 has higher top slots than the RA55 and the RA55's lockoffs can be a royal PITA. I do prefer my classic MA to the Myride even though the MR has tons of leg room. So if you are a Britax snob and used to the older Britax seats go with the RA50 and you won't be disappointed.:)

MommyShannon

I've never tried a MyRide but I love our RA55. I bought it after being frustrated with seats taking up too much front to back space. I'm ok with it being a bit smaller too. I have other seats I can move her to (and probably will when #4 arrives) plus I come up with an excuse for a new seat every year or two anyway. I love the rf tether, upright install, easy to remove cover, cushy fabric and padding, and of course, the simple install. Here is my 21 month old. I'm sure the 50 would last her just as long, but I like either.
d96eefd2.jpg

Tara

See? That's JUST what I needed to 'hear' :)

I am looking at the 50. That's my 'plan'. I just don't know if/when I can convince hubs. The baby still fits her Keyfit, so this isn't a super pressing matter.

She's beginning to hate her bucket seat too, which is what 'ups' the urgency of this. She still sits, she doesn't scream the entire time. But she *does* fuss more upon entry than she had previously. It may just be the age/stage, but anywho...

I didn't have a problem with leg room on the earlier Roundabout or Marathon. (the originals) I don't have long leggy children. I know some complain about the lack of leg room, but I didn't have a problem with it. I don't see that as an area in which I need to seek out the roomiest seat, kwim?

Yes, I want to rf for a good while, but, my kids just don't require excessive room. :p

*happy sigh*

I was really hoping some fellow Britax snobs would chime in and make me feel better. LOL

Ok, so, anyone going to be the voice of dissension?

Go ahead. Really. Be honest. :) I appreciate it. (I just love the ones who tell me to get the Britax because I won't be truly satisfied until I am back with them)

MommyShannon

Where is the baby? Is the bucket making you move a seat up further? That was my justification to dh. He was fed up with the passenger seat having to be moved up. With our 55 it's all the way back plus I have the seat she is in forward a few clicks to make the 3rd row easier to get to. Love the space!

T4K

I have both the 55 and the mR and like them for different reasons and prefer both to the RA50. I gave my RA50 to SIL. I install using LATCH and they both install great in both cars. My 18 lb, 12th percentile daughter has more room in the MR and looks like a bigger kid in the RA55, lol.

I can do some comparison shots if you want them.

Oh and hubs is a huge Britax snob but likes the MR.

zactayaus

Here are comparison pics of my 2yo in his RA55 and in his classic MA in the same vehicle.

RA55
gra552-1.jpg

MA
101_1348-2.jpg

crunchierthanthou

I personally prefer the RA50 (basically a classic MA without lockoffs or a latch bar, and a lower FF weight limit) to the new RA55. If you thought the old Britax seats didn't have a lot of leg room you have yet to experience the lack of it in the RA55. Believe it or not it's even worse! Also the RA50 has higher top slots than the RA55 and the RA55's lockoffs can be a royal PITA. I do prefer my classic MA to the Myride even though the MR has tons of leg room. So if you are a Britax snob and used to the older Britax seats go with the RA50 and you won't be disappointed.:)

I haven't noticed a lack of legroom. Dd is 3 and still has plenty- at least as much as her similarly sized brother did in the classic Britax seats.

The RA55 has lock-offs, and I prefer the new LATCH bars to the old style. They also have a 7 year expiration, vs 6 for classic. IMO, the biggest difference between the two is for ff. I didn't like the old style ff, and frankly started to distrust them ff. The new ones don't seem to be quite so pedestal-like, and I think the energy absorbing systems are a big improvement. :twocents:

zactayaus

I haven't noticed a lack of legroom. Dd is 3 and still has plenty- at least as much as her similarly sized brother did in the classic Britax seats.

The RA55 has lock-offs, and I prefer the new LATCH bars to the old style. They also have a 7 year expiration, vs 6 for classic. IMO, the biggest difference between the two is for ff. I didn't like the old style ff, and frankly started to distrust them ff. The new ones don't seem to be quite so pedestal like, and I think the energy absorbing systems are a big improvement. :twocents:

See my post above yours.;)

Dorothy

Relative newbie, but here's my $.02-

Have both. Love both, bc they do exactly what I need them to do in their respective spots. Like you, I knew going in I was giving up some leg room and shell height with the RA55, but the advantages were greater for our situation.

Get what you want. You know the pros and cons. If it fits your budget, car and child, why not? Kwim? HTH

Sent from my phone using the app :)

firemomof3

I have a 55 that I use for my daycare kiddos. I got it expressly because it puzzles so well with the Radian and I need to be able to get 3 across. I had the MyRide and I liked that too...so I'm not much help :eek:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I like my RA55 but I doubt my long-torsoed daughter will be able to RF much past two in it. I am using it essentially as a "temporary" seat. I'll eventually swap it out for either a Radian (which I love, and use in my other car) or a CA65 (when I get mine back from Dorel, eventually).

I tried a True Fit Recline in my car the other day. Just briefly; wanted to get familiar with how it installs before I give it to a friend in a couple of days. My first impression is that I like it better than the RA55. Just sayin'. You might want to try one out at BRU before you make your final decision.

Tara

Ooo, passenger seat...good point!

As is, the passenger seat is...'iffy'. I would prefer it go back, or rather lean back a tad further. But it is satisfactory with the Keyfit handle all the way down, under the seat.

Now, with the Radian...there is no way it would fit in either outboard position. It is just too tall. It would have to be very upright...it might be ok for an older child, I didn't mess with it much...I turned it around, it started bumping my seat so I moved it to the center. You know, in my LATCh position, thus getting me back to THAT argument...but at least it would be a different child this time, but still..I like to be able to move seats. :) Anyway...

The Radian, even if we got it to install, would be a tough fit as the center of that seat is just off the center of the front buckets, kwim? The back does not lie perfectly between the two. I'm not sure how that install would go, if we'd need to move either front seat. Hmm, I'll have to check that more closely.

So, yes, good point..that might give me more leverage ;)

My hubs is quite a Britax snob too, has been very pleased with them and harassed me a bit about getting the Radians before. But, they *were* what we needed at the time. I needed slim seats for 3 across. It fit that bill. They installed well in that vehicle. But now a new vehicle and it's been nothing but a fight.

So, anyway, it's just a matter of him knowing what we have still has life left in it so he's not ready to pay for new. Current set up is working, nothing's expired, so he doesn't want to buy anything else right now. He just sees me as jumping the gun in changing the set up.

But I'm still working on him ;)

Go ahead Radian....tick me off ONE MORE time!! And that Roundabout is MINE! :p

Planning a Target visit as soon as I can. Maybe even tonight while the kids are at practice...I'd only have 2 kids..oh, wait, no, well, maybe. I might just have the baby. :D I keep forgetting the girl wrestles now too and the 3 yr old generally tags along when dad's coaching.

I so miss the ease of Britax installation. *sigh*

7 vs 6 yr isn't a biggy for me either. Either way we'll get sufficient use. That is the least of my concerns. But I will play with both the 50 and 55 to see what I think.

At this moment I'm quite content with the 50 though.

Thanks all! I don't feel like I'm missing/overlooking something obvious now.

Tara

Thirsty...yes, of course, pics always welcomed :)

Firemom..LOL, nah, still helpful. I want honest opinions and your honest opinion is both seats are nice. You don't have a real preference. :) That's still helpful.

Brigala..ok, I won't rule that one completely out yet..but..I *do* very much like the price on the 50 and MyRide...just sayin' ;)

Dorothy..I like you. teehee
Get what you want. You know the pros and cons. If it fits your budget, car and child, why not?

glockchick

I have never been as happy with any other seats as I am with Britax seats. I'm currently trying to think of an excuse to replace my RN's with BLVD 70's for my almost 4 year old. :rolleyes:

If you know you love Britax, go for it! :D

Dorothy

Tara said:
Dorothy..I like you. teehee

Thx. :)

You should know that I'm cheap and practical. I dislike spending money unnecessarily. However, this is an item you use A LOT. If it makes a positive difference in your daily life, which it sounds like it might, and getting a new seat doesn't blow the budget, then I'm all for it. :)

Sent from my phone using the app :)

rachelandtyke

I used a Blvd for 5 years for DD and DS with all that time rfing except for 3 months when DD ffed in it before she moved to her TF. DS moved into the CCO after the Blvd expired, but I am about to move him into the RA50 I have and carseat juggle in DH's car because I miss having a Britax day to day DS could also go into a rf EFTA or TF). I wish I could have gotten a new Blvd65, but I really like the RA50, too. So, I vote RA50. :) (I've never played with a MR though for full disclosure)

Tara

I took a quick trip to Target since hub had the other kids. :)

I'm concerned she wouldn't like the MyRide because it is so deep. I think that's what she is not liking about the Keyfit right now...being sooo sunk down into something. Then, I can fit my hand, sideways and still have a bit of room, between her and the crotch buckle. And that's not adjustable. Unless I completely missed seeing a slot in the cover.

Do you *have* to use the inserts for rf? I was thinking they were optional, but wasn't sure. She wasn't thrilled with the head pillow. Mind you, she doesn't much enjoy carseat shopping/browsing/playing like mommy does, but still, I don't think she liked that.

The Roundabout 50 offered a nice fit, still on the lowest slots and middle crotch position. Boy how I have missed those straps too! They just *feel* so much better than anything else. The MR's weren't super slinky or anything and I don't generally have much problem with the RN, but, wow, I like me some Britax straps. ;)

The base doesn't seem quite as sturdy as I remember though. hmmm

The MR is rather wide looking.

I know the Britax will puzzle well against most anything. I've not personally experienced any difficulty.

So, I'm still pulling for the 50. Hubs is still giving me a hard time and saying he'll try to install the RN. That's ok though, he can try. And if by chance he installs it, well, that doesn't guarantee anything because my seating options are still limited and I *do* doubt he'll get it in that center spot nicely due to its high back hitting front seats.

We'll see.

Here's hoping for a 50, eh? LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC